The Student Room Group

Various, confusing terms for sex

I just realised that there's a bunch of technical terms for sex, and was wondering what the difference was between them. The 3 I can think of are: Fornication, Copulation & Coitus.
Reply 1
Original post by mrsuperguy
I just realised that there's a bunch of technical terms for sex, and was wondering what the difference was between them. The 3 I can think of are: Fornication, Copulation & Coitus.

They all mean the same thing but I've never heard anyone use those terms in everyday language unless they were teaching biology or trying to be funny.
Fornication refers to sex outside of marriage, whereas the others refer to sex generally, IIRC.

Nobody actually uses these terms outside of the the fictional Big Bang Theory, this really isn't even worth thinking about. There are other, more obvious words for sex I'm very sure you're already aware of.
I think fornication means sexual intercourse, copulation means sexual intercourse, and coitus means sexual intercourse for nerds.

Hope that's cleared it up for you :smile:

Google it... then again, I'll google it for you:

Fornication - sexual intercourse between people not married to each other.

Copulation - sexual intercourse.

Coitus - sexual intercourse.

(You're welcome)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TaintedLight
You are* teach

I was hesitating whether to write you're or your.

(It's easy to get confused, especially when your sleep deprived.)

Oh well, Thanks for the reminder. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quick Reply

Latest