The Student Room Group

I feel embarrassed for guys who "bodybuild"

Scroll to see replies

Honestly don't understand why you'd say it's embarrassing to bodybuilding. It's a hobby/lifestyle for many people. Your ignorance is kind of humerus, it's almost like saying being a vegetarian is embarrassing or saying people who are proud if their own achievements are a joke.

Why not just let people, be themselves? It's a lifestyle choice and they enjoy it.

For the record, I don't do bodybuilding, although I do go to the gym. I'm also not a fan of being so massive you look like an coke can on two straw legs topped by a peanut for a head, but I respect that doing that makes some people happy.

Edit: Apologies for spelling mistakes/grammatical errors, autocorrect is annoying.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Confirmed you have no idea what you're talking about, bodybuilding makes you stronger and fitter, develops better body mechanics, plays a role in fighting disease prevention etc etc, all things that contribute to a longer and healthier life. If you're a girl and you honestly don't like those things in a guy you're probably ugly af and have low standards, if you're a guy then for sure you're a skinny loser who's just jealous of guys that look good.

hahahahah exactly what I mean. Look at the levels of insecurity :rofl: :rofl:

How small is your penis bro? Don't worry, those traps definitely make up for it :lol: :lol:
Original post by hannxm
This reminds me of some guy messaging me saying he was "too big" in terms of his muscles and no girl will date him because of it. I thought, oh typical bragging, but then he sent me a picture and honestly, he looked ridiculous. His head was so small compared to his body and his body looked like a balloon. :lol: Some guys definitely go too far. I thought it ironic that he's done that to feel confident and now it's the cause of his insecurity.

I do prefer a guy who's lean, not massive.

Again, though, like OP, you're comparing the extreme bodybuilder to the recreational lifter who just wants a nice, aesthetically pleasing physique. One is a healthy and rewarding lifestyle choice and people will admire the physique and respect the work one has put in in many cases, whereas the other is largely unhealthy and is either done for sport or one just has a warped obsession as to what is defined as "muscular". It's like comparing someone who has passed their driving test so they can get a car for general travel to enhance their lives, to the guy who's into illegal street racing.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
hahahahah exactly what I mean. Look at the levels of insecurity :rofl: :rofl:

How small is your penis bro? Don't worry, those traps definitely make up for it :lol: :lol:
Living a healthy lifestyle and taking care of your appearance isn't being insecure, damn you must be hideous.
Living a healthy lifestyle and taking care of your appearance isn't being insecure, damn you must be hideous.

How many women you slept with?
How many women you slept with?
More than you evidently.
More than you evidently.

I very much doubt that you've slept with one woman. You're too angry to have ever been laid.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll maybe find a hot babe in TSR's Physics Society :lol:
I very much doubt that you've slept with one woman. You're too angry to have ever been laid.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll maybe find a hot babe in TSR's Physics Society :lol:
Oh, so you think this is being angry? Seems like you're so easily intimidated by some confrontation, your betaness just keeps stacking up man. And for the record, I don't have to define my worth by the amount of woman I've slept with, unlike a beta such as yourself.
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh, so you think this is being angry? Seems like you're so easily intimidated by some confrontation, your betaness just keeps stacking up man. And for the record, I don't have to define my worth by the amount of woman I've slept with, unlike a beta such as yourself.

Uses the term "beta" un-ironically.. Confirmed virgin.
Reply 29
(I have a very strong sense that you are a troll but whatever here goes... )

HAHAHAA Ok so if someone is insecure and bodybuilding helps them gain some confidence and beat their insecurities... Thats bad how?
Crabs in a bucket mentality doesnt help anyone.

And bodybuilding isnt just aesthetics like makeup. Those guys are actually strong. You realise they actually have to lift 100kg+ right??? The idea that someone in the gym doesnt recieve practical benefits, eg able to snap your twig arms, is laughable.
Original post by JK11
(I have a very strong sense that you are a troll but whatever here goes... )

HAHAHAA Ok so if someone is insecure and bodybuilding helps them gain some confidence and beat their insecurities... Thats bad how?
Crabs in a bucket mentality doesnt help anyone.

And bodybuilding isnt just aesthetics like makeup. Those guys are actually strong. You realise they actually have to lift 100kg+ right??? The idea that someone in the gym doesnt recieve practical benefits, eg able to snap your twig arms, is laughable.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4296471/shocking-moment-mma-fighter-kills-champion-powerlifter-in-brutal-street-fight-after-he-was-mocked-for-being-no-better-than-a-gymnast/

Like here? Not only a bodybulder (who aren't even really strong) but a champion power lifter got absolutely deeeeeeeestroyed. (Killed to ****) in other terms by a "skinny" fighter.
Found the bodybuilding peacock.

People may enjoy bodybuilding (unlikely as it's so repetitive and unchallenging. More likely people become obsessed with bodybuilding due to deep-rooted insecurities).

Skinny guys at least don't have a complex where their lives revolve around going to a sweaty room 3 days a week and eating chicken and rice every day.

And that's mu point. Most people in sports don't bodybuild because it's useless. It's botox, it's penis enlargement. But a lot of bodybuilders refuse to accept this. Why not "improve" you body in a way that has long term health benefits and is more useful to society?

This guy's honestly saying that bodybuilding doesn't have any negative connotations :lol: The dedication to steroids and looking ridiculous is also not appreciated by many.

I train in boxing and Muay Thai, as well as playing numerous sports like football and rugby. I've met way more friends that you ever would bodybuilding in a gym. I can adequately defend myself and others I care about and I am fitter and healthier than any bodybulder I know.

I mean how many people who go to the gym to work out even perform cardio on a regular basis?

a) this seems difficult to believe as a stand-alone point
b) gym communities can actually be pretty close; people are very friendly and usually willing to offer help or advice.
Bodybuilding is not just about looking good. It's about constantly pushing yourself to reach your goals. Anyone who thinks other wise is probably a couch potato too lazy to get himself to the gym. Bodybuilding has given me so much more than just a good physique. It has helped me stay away from other things that people do liek drinking and drugs. While me friends are out there bunning I'm hitting the gym. It's more than a facade trust me.
Reply 33
People do what they do. Why make a fuss? It's okay to be skinny. It's okay to body build. It's ok to be fat. Let's just live our lives how we want to without judging each other.
Reply 34
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4296471/shocking-moment-mma-fighter-kills-champion-powerlifter-in-brutal-street-fight-after-he-was-mocked-for-being-no-better-than-a-gymnast/

Like here? Not only a bodybulder (who aren't even really strong) but a champion power lifter got absolutely deeeeeeeestroyed. (Killed to ****) in other terms by a "skinny" fighter.

Thats an impressive strawman haha.

If the skinny dude wasnt a professional fighter he wouldn't have won.

Did you seriously think him being a professional fighter was not a confounding variable?

Or are you just being dishonest to prove your point? Who's insecure now?
Original post by joshchamp125
Bodybuilding is not just about looking good. It's about constantly pushing yourself to reach your goals. Anyone who thinks other wise is probably a couch potato too lazy to get himself to the gym. Bodybuilding has given me so much more than just a good physique. It has helped me stay away from other things that people do liek drinking and drugs. While me friends are out there bunning I'm hitting the gym. It's more than a facade trust me.

So what you're basically saying is that you're a boring *******?

I'm sure when you're all older you friends will look back and laugh at whatever hijinks they got upto. Meanwhile I'm sure you'll be able to do the same; look back at fond memories of...doing a dropset that one saturday night?
Bodybuilders look more disgusting than the chavs car
So what you're basically saying is that you're a boring *******?

I'm sure when you're all older you friends will look back and laugh at whatever hijinks they got upto. Meanwhile I'm sure you'll be able to do the same; look back at fond memories of...doing a dropset that one saturday night?

It comes down to what's important for you. And no I'll look back and thank myself for living healthy and not ending ul with cancer or kidney problems due to drinking and smoking.
Original post by JK11
Thats an impressive strawman haha.

If the skinny dude wasnt a professional fighter he wouldn't have won.

Did you seriously think him being a professional fighter was not a confounding variable?

Or are you just being dishonest to prove your point? Who's insecure now?

How do you know?

There's plenty of examples of built guys getting destroyed by non-built fighters. Regardless of skill level.
Reply 39
How do you know?

There's plenty of examples of built guys getting destroyed by non-built fighters. Regardless of skill level.

It's pretty ****ing simple.

Basic Physics. A bodybuilder will have more muscle = more weight. His punches are going to hit way harder.

I'm assuming the only variable is that one bodybuilds while the other does not. Your example earlier highlights why this is important.

Quick Reply

Latest