The Student Room Group

Vegetarian struggles

I belong to quite a large family with 3 siblings under the age of 5 and I have been vegetarian for at least 5 months now. However, I notice that it's having an affect on finance in my family and is becoming an issue for dinners in my family, is there any way I could make it abit less hard on me parents???
Reply 1
Original post by Katy Lou
I belong to quite a large family with 3 siblings under the age of 5 and I have been vegetarian for at least 5 months now. However, I notice that it's having an affect on finance in my family and is becoming an issue for dinners in my family, is there any way I could make it abit less hard on me parents???

I'm a vegetarian too. I don't eat eggs and fish included. You can buy things n make them like, tomato soup, tomato pasta, rice and daal (lentils), indian curry, chinese stir friy noodles, noodles, pizza with salad ~ these all cost under £8 max!! In fact it is cheaper to be a veggie than a non veg. Or else, u could have jacket potatos, salads, nachos?!..
Reply 2
Original post by MKaur18
I'm a vegetarian too. I don't eat eggs and fish included. You can buy things n make them like, tomato soup, tomato pasta, rice and daal (lentils), indian curry, chinese stir friy noodles, noodles, pizza with salad ~ these all cost under £8 max!! In fact it is cheaper to be a veggie than a non veg. Or else, u could have jacket potatos, salads, nachos?!..

Ooh thank you, is there any good recipe you reccomend that my family can eat as well Because I've been living off Quorn nuggets and linda McCartney sausages and other bits but i want to try something new
Reply 3
Original post by Katy Lou
Ooh thank you, is there any good recipe you reccomend that my family can eat as well Because I've been living off Quorn nuggets and linda McCartney sausages and other bits but i want to try something new

Personally, i don't cook much at all. I just help with cutting veggies and stuff. I don't really have recipes.. but online there r stuff out there but i trust most sites tbf.

Yeah i love linda mc and Amy's have nice lasagnes (at tesco) :smile: also, there are so many veggie options ~ like biscuits, crisps - us veggies aren't only bout that healthy stuff too. But, i like organic milk, but it's weird with coconuts n stuff...

Pintrest is good for cooking inspiration, and youtube vids got me hooked on baking 😋☺️❤️
Reply 4
Original post by MKaur18
Personally, i don't cook much at all. I just help with cutting veggies and stuff. I don't really have recipes.. but online there r stuff out there but i trust most sites tbf.

Yeah i love linda mc and Amy's have nice lasagnes (at tesco) :smile: also, there are so many veggie options ~ like biscuits, crisps - us veggies aren't only bout that healthy stuff too. But, i like organic milk, but it's weird with coconuts n stuff...

Pintrest is good for cooking inspiration, and youtube vids got me hooked on baking 😋☺️❤️

thank you very much, i want to eat coconut but i dont like it which is a bit sad.
You could try to eat similar meals if you're having problems with your family eating meat. For example, you could make stir fry but you could have veggie quorn pieces in your pan and they could have meat pieces, but you could share the veg and do the noodles together, etc. This could also work for things like fajitas, hotdogs, etc.

There are loads of veggie alternatives in supermarkets now - many do their own brands. The freezer and fridge sections are full of fake sausages, meat slices and loads of ready meals.

You could try and get the whole family to eat something that is naturally vegetarian - like a mushroom risotto, cheese and tomato pasta bake, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest