username3255026
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
i was just wondering for gcse pe how well do you have to do on the practical side to get decent A*/A marks for the practical - as in do you have to be amazing at the sport or what?
hoixw
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not very sporty, but I'm good at racquet sports. Before choosing PE i read over the spec so i should be able to help you.

The spec is as follows
60% exams
10% coursework related to practical
30% practical (10% each sport)

each sport recieves 25 marks, 10 in progressive drills, and 15 in context. Progressive drills are essentialy showing skills on a progressive level, ie getting harder.

In the spec there are the assessment points for each sport. Take tennis for example:

1 Service – power, placement and variation (eg slice).
2 Groundstrokes – forehand, backhand and drop shot.
3 Volleys – forehand and backhand.
4 Smash – to show power and/or placement.
5 Lobs – forehand and backhand

(this is for the 10 marks) so you can see what they are marking you on. For the 15 marks, this relates to work within team/ playing tactically and well etc. I reccommend you read over the spec as you can see info about your sports in detail.

AQA spec (what i am doing anyway) - http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...82-SP-2016.PDF

To answer your question, not really. As long as you do well in your tests, it will be fairly easy to get 10-15 marks of the 25 per sport. So a 7-9 is very feasible, even if you are bad at sports but good at academics.
username3255026
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
thanks for your reply!
I'm doing tennis swimming and basketball. my swimming is great, my tennis is okay - havent played in a while but restarting soon but my basketball is horrific!
so technically if i do well in my theory (got 90% in the end of years) and given my practical outline above, do you think i can get a 7?
(Original post by hoixw)
I'm not very sporty, but I'm good at racquet sports. Before choosing PE i read over the spec so i should be able to help you.

The spec is as follows
60% exams
10% coursework related to practical
30% practical (10% each sport)

each sport recieves 25 marks, 10 in progressive drills, and 15 in context. Progressive drills are essentialy showing skills on a progressive level, ie getting harder.

In the spec there are the assessment points for each sport. Take tennis for example:

1 Service – power, placement and variation (eg slice).
2 Groundstrokes – forehand, backhand and drop shot.
3 Volleys – forehand and backhand.
4 Smash – to show power and/or placement.
5 Lobs – forehand and backhand

(this is for the 10 marks) so you can see what they are marking you on. For the 15 marks, this relates to work within team/ playing tactically and well etc. I reccommend you read over the spec as you can see info about your sports in detail.

AQA spec (what i am doing anyway) - http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...82-SP-2016.PDF

To answer your question, not really. As long as you do well in your tests, it will be fairly easy to get 10-15 marks of the 25 per sport. So a 7-9 is very feasible, even if you are bad at sports but good at academics.
hoixw
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Npt512)
thanks for your reply!
I'm doing tennis swimming and basketball. my swimming is great, my tennis is okay - havent played in a while but restarting soon but my basketball is horrific!
so technically if i do well in my theory (got 90% in the end of years) and given my practical outline above, do you think i can get a 7?
Guessing that the grade boundaries will be similar to those of maths or english it is more than possible if you get high marks in theory, and do well in the coursework.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (25)
20.33%
No (98)
79.67%

Watched Threads