Phone contract - newly turned 18 Watch

Lennon.Green99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi! I've just turned 18 and as such I want to get my first phone contract. I've found an iPhone 7 deal that I really like but since I've just turned 18 I'm worried that my credit score/rating will let me down. If I get this checked in store would it count negatively to me if I failed?

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

A few suggestions out there that https://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/ are more likely than others to give you a mobile phone contract if you've been declined elsewhere.

Make sure you register to vote (if you're over 18) before you apply. Massively helps your credit rating.
Last edited by Professor Oak; 7 months ago
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lennon.Green99)
Hi! I've just turned 18 and as such I want to get my first phone contract. I've found an iPhone 7 deal that I really like but since I've just turned 18 I'm worried that my credit score/rating will let me down. If I get this checked in store would it count negatively to me if I failed?
Do what most people do for their first contract, put it under your mother or father and give them the money. Also I don't think phone providers look at credit, though I may be wrong.
niteninja1
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should be able to get a contract depending on the price per month and your income. It's a great way to build up your score
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd check with the people who are doing the credit check, that it's a "soft check", as this will not leave any traces that a credit check was failed.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Let mummy and daddy pay
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
Do what most people do for their first contract, put it under your mother or father and give them the money. Also I don't think phone providers look at credit, though I may be wrong.
They always look at credit score. What sort of finance scheme doesn't require a credit check before hand?
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
They always look at credit score. What sort of finance scheme doesn't require a credit check before hand?
I've had several phone contracts since the age of twelve, each time i've done it instore and have walked away with a sim and phone contract within 20 minutes, I find it unlikely they can check anything in that amount of time.
niteninja1
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've had several phone contracts since the age of twelve, each time i've done it instore and have walked away with a sim and phone contract within 20 minutes, I find it unlikely they can check anything in that amount of time.
Actually it can take seconds for a credit check
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They definitely should check your credit score. Usually this'll take a matter of minutes if you're doing the credit check in the store.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can't get a contract whilst you're a minor - I'm calling BS on this story.

Some networks are more picky than others - you may have to start on a SIM only contract (which is pretty much guaranteed acceptance) and keep it for a few months, then, upgrade to a plan that comes with a device if that's what you're wanting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads