The Student Room Group

Is this a serious threat?

North Korea nuclear test: Hydrogen bomb 'missile-ready'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41139445

How likely do you think it is that North Korea would actually carry out missile strikes?

What repercussions would they face?

Are nearby countries like China, South Korea and Japan in any way prepared for this kind of attack?

What more, if anything, should countries in the west be doing about it?

Sorry about all the questions but I'm really not very knowledgable about this kind of thing and am keen to be educated
Reply 1
north korea wouldn't strike countries like the US first unless it was being invaded because doing so would basically ensure it's own annihilation.

as for other countries with no nukes or allies, then yes... i could see that happening

the US tbh has left it too late to do anything about north korea, they are all talk and north korea played a dangerous game by calling their bluff but it seems they have got it right

it's debatable now weather or not north korea can reach the US with nuclear weapons, and trump isn't going to risk millions of Americans dying if north korea hasn't actually killed anyone yet
Reply 2
The US is obliged to defend S Korea, Japan and Taiwan if any of them are attacked by N Korea. Otherwise, the US will be completely discredited and no one will take its seriously including its enemies and allies.

N Korea will not use nukes against any US ally unless it wants to be annihilated by the US.
Reply 3
This was completely unexpected, no-one expected N Korea to get to megaton level H-Bombs that fast. If they drop this on a major city (say, L.A) they can kill millions of people. But, the USA has left it too late to strike N Korea, and it would result in high civilian casualties either way. I mean, as Steve Bannon put it "Until somebody solves the part of the equation that shows me that ten million people in Seoul don’t die in the first 30 minutes from conventional weapons, I don’t know what you’re talking about, there’s no military solution here, they got us."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending