The Student Room Group

My Learning Journey - Part III

Scroll to see replies

Date: 5/11/17

It's only just dawned on me - October is no more! November is here already (I know I'm a few days behind here, but I'm still catching up in reality!!)

Apprenticeship
I don't think I need to reiterate how much I'm enjoying myself (again!), but I should probably go into a bit more detail about what I actually do. I submitted some evidence as part of my NVQ on Friday. I'd set the deadline much earlier than some other apprentices; firstly because I didn't realise we could have as long as we wanted, but secondly because I wanted it out of the way so I could get feedback on it and make alterations if necessary. Plus, I wouldn't be spending hours on it for the next few week unknowingly doing it wrong. At least this way there is plenty of time to change anything whilst the activities are still fresh in my mind.

I am also undecided as to whether or not I should collate another piece of evidence, given that this is my first placement and I don't want to over do it, but at the same time I'd like to ensure I have more than enough evidence to complete my qualification. I'll update you on what I decide to do once I know myself!

Around this evidence, I've been working on a project to help the company and so far it's going really well. I have set up the right things and put the correct measures in place to achieve this, whilst also completing the smaller tasks I've been asked to do. I've been to a number of meetings where my manager has a seed for me to present (eek!) to the team. I've done this and to my surprise it's always gone well. It's also gain me quite a lot of respect amongst the team, which I was again quite surprised at.

Aside from this, I'm also trying to set something up at work to help tell apprentices about upcoming things. However, in order for meto get the go ahead for this, I have to present the idea to a group of managers in the company and hope that they agree. I'll be doing a lot of practise for this, and that's why I want to have as much time to devote to it as possible. Keep checking back for updates on how this goes.

Apprenticeship FE
So I've got three assignments due in tomorrow and I managed to get 2 of them done within about 2-3 hours last night (in between the darts, of course). I know we'll be getting another couple tomorrow and I'm committed to getting the majority of these done within college time, as I know I have plenty to do besides these.

Daily realisation
Word of mouth is powerful! Alluding to the colleague I spoke to on Friday, they made me realise that even if you've never met someone, but you've made the right impression, it can help get you where you want to be. If someone in a trusted position regards you highly, their word can travel far.

This, although a short message, is a powerful one that I'll bear in mind for my future (and current) placements.

Anyway until next time folks!

Spoiler

Original post by brainzistheword
Thank you - how's the studying going? Are you fitting it all in with everything else? :smile:

Studying is going alright thankfully. Working only 3 days so the work-study balance is good.

Just working on my UCAS application as well- hopefully will send it off by the end of this month. :smile:
Original post by DrAwesome123
Studying is going alright thankfully. Working only 3 days so the work-study balance is good.

Just working on my UCAS application as well- hopefully will send it off by the end of this month. :smile:

Glad to hear that it's going so well! Are you still learning new topics or just recapping at this stage? :smile:

Good luck with your application :smile:
Glad to hear that it's going so well! Are you still learning new topics or just recapping at this stage? :smile:

Good luck with your application :smile:

I'm still learning new topics, hopefully will finish the whole syllabus by the end on January so I can just recap from there on! :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Hiyaa!
How are you? It's been a long time! Sorry I'm only replying now even though you tagged me. How's life? I hope your enjoying your apprenticeship.

Year 13 is going okay for me. I'm struggling with the work load but I'm not going to give up!

Despite being so late, I'm going to follow your journey now! I know you will keep me motivated like you did when we did our GCSE's.
Good luck with everything:biggrin:
Original post by DrAwesome123
I'm still learning new topics, hopefully will finish the whole syllabus by the end on January so I can just recap from there on! :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Ah great! Sounds like you've got it well thought out :smile:
Original post by sahra30013
Hiyaa!
How are you? It's been a long time! Sorry I'm only replying now even though you tagged me. How's life? I hope your enjoying your apprenticeship.

Year 13 is going okay for me. I'm struggling with the work load but I'm not going to give up!

Despite being so late, I'm going to follow your journey now! I know you will keep me motivated like you did when we did our GCSE's.
Good luck with everything:biggrin:

Well hello there! Long time no speak as they say :smile:

Nice to hear from you again!

I'm good, how are you? I'm really enjoying my apprenticeship, much more than I thought I would!

It's good to have you on board again - though I hope your workload isn't getting too much...if you need a chat you know where I am :biggrin:

Thank you, and good luck to you too!
Well hello there! Long time no speak as they say :smile:

Nice to hear from you again!

I'm good, how are you? I'm really enjoying my apprenticeship, much more than I thought I would!

It's good to have you on board again - though I hope your workload isn't getting too much...if you need a chat you know where I am :biggrin:

Thank you, and good luck to you too!

That's great that your enjoying your apprenticeship!
I don't know why but my teachers are obsessed with giving us loads of homework everyday so that's wearing me out. :frown:
Sure! I'll find you if I need a chat! :biggrin:
Original post by sahra30013
That's great that your enjoying your apprenticeship!
I don't know why but my teachers are obsessed with giving us loads of homework everyday so that's wearing me out. :frown:
Sure! I'll find you if I need a chat! :biggrin:

Thanks!

Yeah that sounds pretty typical. Maybe they don't realise all the other teachers are doing the same thing?

Good good! :smile:
Date: 7/11/17

Apprenticeship
The chaos just hit me! Preparation is already underway for our next placements even though there are a good few weeks left!

My NVQ got reviewed and feedback has been left so I can modify it and improve it further. Hopefully I can get this all done tomorrow, along with the rest of my work. I reckon tomorrow will be one of my busiest days as I have a meeting at 9am and then the rest of the day I’m planning on sorting as much of my work out as possible, given that everything arrived last week and I’m running out of time fast!

My supervisor’s also back tomorrow so that will aid me in getting most of my work done.

Apprenticeship FE
College was so tiring yesterday! Don't get me wrong, I love learning, but sitting in 6 lessons starting at 7:45 isn't my idea of fun...

However, I got all 3 of my assignments handed in on time (just hope they're all right!) I also got another 2; one to create a presentation and the other one was a follow on assignment to one I'd just handed in! They certainly don't hang about!

I managed to work through all of my morning breaks to get work done, however I sort of dwindled as the day progressed and couldn't help tucking into the packet of Munchies I had in my bag haha! They didn't last very long I can assure you...

We're certainly rolling through the content now, and although it does seem quite slow at times, we get a breadth of knowledge for the one day we are there. I'm currently studying arithmetic progressions and uniform beams and other supported beams.

Daily realisation
Only a brief(er) update today (I bet you're thinking phew! Less reading! I know I was...) but before I go, I had never realised how good it was to teach others.

At school, I had been reluctant to openly offer help as I was always scared I'd teach them wrong or not know it myself. However, yesterday there was one person in the class who was really struggling and I started to explain it, much to my own surprise, in the same way as the tutor and it proved to me that I actually knew my stuff. And not only that, but it also helped reinforce it in my mind.

Prior to this, I had also volunteered to help someone who is currently going through GCSEs. Although i'm a couple of years behind in terms of the new specs, I think I can still be of some assistance if this is something that they want. I'll keep you updated on this as it happens.

Spoiler

Date: 11/11/17

Apprenticeship
I'm rolling along nicely. Yes work is building up I'm managing it well. The thing with having Eczema, I find, is that if I'm stuck at a desk and my mind has the chance to tick over and think of all the things I have to do, it means I just sit there scratching to my heart's content. However, if I'm constantly busy and always up and about doing things, even if that means I'm constantly on the move/working away, then that is a better position for me to be in as I have less time to realise my elbow's itchy or the back of my shoulder blade.

On the other hand, when I talk to people at work about how much I want to get involved in things, they all appear to think I'll be overdoing it. Now I completely understand where they're coming from, as they have my best interests in mind, but at the same time, they don't completely understand my reasoning, as I've highlighted above. And I think that even if they did, they'd find a way to talk me out of it.

Anyways, rant over.

Apprenticeship FE
My mindset was always to do as much of it during my college day as possible, so I had more time to spend doing other things outside of work, however, that wasn't always the best way to go about it, especially as my motivation lagged as the day progressed. Therefore, I am in the process of drawing up a timetable that will incorporate my college day (and the breaks) and also the college work I plan to undertake outside of the college day.

Almost like a revision timetable but I've got a feeling (# that tonight's gonna be a good night...# - right I'll stop now...) that mine is going to be much more regimented in the way everything is planned, but it will be a case of if I have the time available, I'll do what it says on the timetable, but if not, then I will do whatever it is I need to.

This way, when I find myself bored or put off by the fact I have lots of things I could be doing but very little decisive ability, I'll just follow the timetable.

It sounds a good theory in my head, but only the next few weeks will be a telling sign of whether it is practical.

I'll try and upload a picture of the timetable once I've finished it.

Daily realisation
It's one thing planning for something, and another thing actually doing it. I enjoy planning, and don't get me wrong I'd not get very far without it. But I just think that hindsight is great and I've realised lately that I've spent a lot of time writing out over and over again the things I need to get done, when as a matter of fact that list could've taken 5 minutes and I could have spent the rest of the time actually completing them.

I suppose in my head and many others, it is a 'productive' form of procrastination as you think you are doing something that will help you get your head down when in fact you are just putting it off and telling yourself you are being useful.

My plan (pardon the pun) to change this is to give myself only 10 minutes to write a to-do list for the day and spend the rest of the time doing it; much like I did at GCSE, when I would post my list in the morning and my progress at night, though this time I don't think I'll post it (unless of course, people want me to!).

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Date: 11/11/17

Apprenticeship
I'm rolling along nicely. Yes work is building up I'm managing it well. The thing with having Eczema, I find, is that if I'm stuck at a desk and my mind has the chance to tick over and think of all the things I have to do, it means I just sit there scratching to my heart's content. However, if I'm constantly busy and always up and about doing things, even if that means I'm constantly on the move/working away, then that is a better position for me to be in as I have less time to realise my elbow's itchy or the back of my shoulder blade.

On the other hand, when I talk to people at work about how much I want to get involved in things, they all appear to think I'll be overdoing it. Now I completely understand where they're coming from, as they have my best interests in mind, but at the same time, they don't completely understand my reasoning, as I've highlighted above. And I think that even if they did, they'd find a way to talk me out of it.

Anyways, rant over.

Apprenticeship FE
My mindset was always to do as much of it during my college day as possible, so I had more time to spend doing other things outside of work, however, that wasn't always the best way to go about it, especially as my motivation lagged as the day progressed. Therefore, I am in the process of drawing up a timetable that will incorporate my college day (and the breaks) and also the college work I plan to undertake outside of the college day.

Almost like a revision timetable but I've got a feeling (# that tonight's gonna be a good night...# - right I'll stop now...) that mine is going to be much more regimented in the way everything is planned, but it will be a case of if I have the time available, I'll do what it says on the timetable, but if not, then I will do whatever it is I need to.

This way, when I find myself bored or put off by the fact I have lots of things I could be doing but very little decisive ability, I'll just follow the timetable.

It sounds a good theory in my head, but only the next few weeks will be a telling sign of whether it is practical.

I'll try and upload a picture of the timetable once I've finished it.

Daily realisation
It's one thing planning for something, and another thing actually doing it. I enjoy planning, and don't get me wrong I'd not get very far without it. But I just think that hindsight is great and I've realised lately that I've spent a lot of time writing out over and over again the things I need to get done, when as a matter of fact that list could've taken 5 minutes and I could have spent the rest of the time actually completing them.

I suppose in my head and many others, it is a 'productive' form of procrastination as you think you are doing something that will help you get your head down when in fact you are just putting it off and telling yourself you are being useful.

My plan (pardon the pun) to change this is to give myself only 10 minutes to write a to-do list for the day and spend the rest of the time doing it; much like I did at GCSE, when I would post my list in the morning and my progress at night, though this time I don't think I'll post it (unless of course, people want me to!).

Spoiler

how did you revise at gcse? :biggrin:
Original post by clouddbubbles
how did you revise at gcse? :biggrin:

Well, where should I start?! First off, what subjects are you aiming the question at?
(Then I don't ramble on about one you didn't need to know about!) :smile:
Well, where should I start?! First off, what subjects are you aiming the question at?
(Then I don't ramble on about one you didn't need to know about!) :smile:

okk hmm...

i won’t ask subject specific but just, how did you organise your time and revise each subject effectively? :/
okk hmm...

i won’t ask subject specific but just, how did you organise your time and revise each subject effectively? :/

First of all I found the best way I wanted to revise each subject, and for many of these it was flashcards, so I would break up my available time on a timetable and initially spend time making them. As I made more and more I'd put in a session to go over some, and also make some available for any free time I had, such as travelling or waiting for someone.

Closer to exams, I made a timetable of all the past papers I could find so that I systematically worked through them and ensured I had covered them about 2 or 3 times and knew the mark schemes.

In terms of ensuring the revision was effective, I used the Pomodoro Technique (which is where you set a timer for 25 minutes and then a 5 minute break and work purely for those 25 minutes on a single topic. So for example, I might make all flashcards on homeostasis for one session and then dedicate the subsequent session to revising cards I made yesterday.

I hope that helps in some way, but if you've got any more questions, or want any more details, just let me know :smile:
First of all I found the best way I wanted to revise each subject, and for many of these it was flashcards, so I would break up my available time on a timetable and initially spend time making them. As I made more and more I'd put in a session to go over some, and also make some available for any free time I had, such as travelling or waiting for someone.

Closer to exams, I made a timetable of all the past papers I could find so that I systematically worked through them and ensured I had covered them about 2 or 3 times and knew the mark schemes.

In terms of ensuring the revision was effective, I used the Pomodoro Technique (which is where you set a timer for 25 minutes and then a 5 minute break and work purely for those 25 minutes on a single topic. So for example, I might make all flashcards on homeostasis for one session and then dedicate the subsequent session to revising cards I made yesterday.

I hope that helps in some way, but if you've got any more questions, or want any more details, just let me know :smile:

thanks that was really helpful!
thanks that was really helpful!

You're welcome - if you do want any subject specific stuff, just let me know! :smile:

Alternatively, any other questions just fire away :biggrin:
Hey. Very intriguing posts. Keep me tagged :smile:
Original post by sturdy swifter
Hey. Very intriguing posts. Keep me tagged :smile:

Thanks - I'll add you to the list :smile:
Date: 15/11/17

Apprenticeship
Busy busy busy! Work's definitely piling up but it's certainly making the days go faster. Normally I'm at my desk creating documents and chasing up people through email, but today, and for the past few days I've been up and on my feet for the majority. I've been getting back from work quite exhausted if I'm honest, which has hampered my productivity when at home.

Apprenticeship FE
I'm still trying to get the timetable sorted but aside from that, I've got another assignment to be getting on with and plenty of note typing to do. I want to get as many notes typed up before my next assignment on Pressurisation which we're getting next week.

I'm still using my breaks as much as I can to work during the day rather than at home, but I'm finding more and more people are interrupting me. That's not necessarily a bad thing as it is supposed to be a break after all, but I'd like to be able to use some of them to work and others to play, rather than all of them to play.

Daily realisation
I now realise what people meant with 'you can work your life away' or 'you've got the rest of your life to work'. Now, I'm not putting a downer on anything here, but it's become apparent, especially when I'm tired from work, that I don't do anything else besides and my day consists purely of work. I've definitely learnt loads of new skills and developed existing ones, and I haven't stopped yet. But at the same time, I haven't necessarily got all of the freedom to do things that college/uni students might have (I know they have lots of pressures to study and achieve, but other opportunities are there).

However, all this means that I need to find a hobby! Something I can look forward to doing after work and something i can d too break up my working week! :smile:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending