How to cope with the fact that.... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
While visiting another country, it really got me thinking about how lucky I am to be born in the UK/West.

Its really bothering me how 85% of the world is much more worse off/ people have no oppurtunities. Whats bothering me more is the fact that realistically I cant do much to help????
Perfuddled
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
While visiting another country, it really got me thinking about how lucky I am to be born in the UK/West.

Its really bothering me how 85% of the world is much more worse off/ people have no oppurtunities. Whats bothering me more is the fact that realistically I cant do much to help????
It's just a phase. You'll get over it.
furiousmushroom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's an uncomfortable truth that we all have to live with.

Realistically, unless you devote your life to the cause, you are unlikely to help many people from other countries. (Although certainly not impossible! You can look into how to help with refugee programs and lobby the UK government for changes in foreign policy - at least we stop bombing many hard-hit places and perhaps help those who need it.) Charity can also help, but do lots of research, since many of them don't really use your money efficiently or ethically.

But even though people in the UK generally have it mostly okay, there are plenty of people in this country struggling with poverty, disability, discrimination, and all manner of other problems. People here still die of preventable causes and we're far from a utopia. If you want to make a difference, there are plenty of people here that need help too.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by furiousmushroom)
It's an uncomfortable truth that we all have to live with.

Realistically, unless you devote your life to the cause, you are unlikely to help many people from other countries. (Although certainly not impossible! You can look into how to help with refugee programs and lobby the UK government for changes in foreign policy - at least we stop bombing many hard-hit places and perhaps help those who need it.) Charity can also help, but do lots of research, since many of them don't really use your money efficiently or ethically.

But even though people in the UK generally have it mostly okay, there are plenty of people in this country struggling with poverty, disability, discrimination, and all manner of other problems. People here still die of preventable causes and we're far from a utopia. If you want to make a difference, there are plenty of people here that need help too.
Yeah and the country I visited must have a strong economy tbh but there are just so many kids in poverty and working at such a young age. When I go back to the UK I am definitely going to start volunteering!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.49%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.39%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.18%
It might lead to more bullying (57)
37.01%
There's nothing they could do (43)
27.92%

Watched Threads

Latest