The Student Room Group

Is an expensive watch worth the money

Scroll to see replies

Expensive watches are pointless to me.
I have a cheap watch (Less than £20) that is stunning and people always think it's designer and/or compliment it. Most people don't even pay attention or notice designer watches.

Original post by lukeclarke
i was debating whether to buy a fairly expensive watch should i or is it just a waste of money
Reply 61
i dont get why you would think everyone who wear a expensive watch would wear it for that reason when their are many other reasons like one may appreciate the many hours of research design and work that has gone into making that watch

Many hours of research design and work goes into making a Swatch.
Original post by usualsuspects

Because you are thinking about a shiny big new gold submariner. There are lots of classy Rolex watches. Vintage ones and Cellini are perfect examples, but OP already knows.

Nah I addressed this already. There are degrees of tackiness but the brand just carries that connotation to me regardless. I know it's not just me either.
They do, but certain models more than others. A calatrava with normal features probably won't appreciate.

i have been looking at the calarrava however i wouldnt buy the standard version of the watch i have been looking through a variety of different types of that watch as their is about 21 different models doe that watch i do like also the aqaunaut and nautilus and even grand complications
Original post by Doonesbury
Many hours of research design and work goes into making a Swatch.

i dont know to much about swatch watches but i have heard they do some nice sports watches though
Reply 65
what watches would you class as a "fashion" watch

usually in the range 300 to 2-3k from fashion designers (ralph lauren, gucci, kors etc).

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Nah I addressed this already. There are degrees of tackiness but the brand just carries that connotation to me regardless. I know it's not just me either.

It's a wrong view.
No
Reply 67
i do really appreiciate the hours of research and design and work that has went into making a patek watch as i do really like them likewise with the the watches of IWC and omega and would you say that applies to all rolexs as different rolexs are made from different materials and some cost less or more depending on which one it is

IWC, Omega and Rolex are not in the same bracket as Patek Phillippe.

I can see Watches of Switzerland licking their lips when you walk into one of their emporiums.
It's a wrong view.

oh yeah i dont really go for the fashion designer watches as they dont really appeal to me

It's a wrong view.

Meh, then you go ahead and wear them. If you exclusively keep company with people who actually know about luxury watches it's a somewhat different proposition, but most people don't, and in any other company wearing a Rolex in particular screams trying too hard.
IWC, Omega and Rolex are not in the same bracket as Patek Phillippe.

I can see Watches of Switzerland licking their lips when you walk into one of their emporiums.

oh yeah i know i have been looking at the likes of those watches but i am more swayed towards getting a patek and what do you mean
Reply 71
Original post by iamthestudent
what watch do u have bro?

A vintage rolex sub previously owned by my grandfather and father, from a significant year. I love it because it's classier, more interesting and less ostentatious than a new, shiny, big one. It's also a watch that can be used on every occasion. I also have a £15 Casio F-91W.

I'm looking to buy a PP Calatrava, or try to steal one from family (I've developed an appreciation for vintage watches and would find it hard to buy one for no particular occasion). I've also been considering Rolexes but, although I'm still thinking about it, I'd like to add a PP to the (small for now) collection as soon as possible.
Original post by Alive97
No

could you elborate
Reply 73
i am more swayed towards getting a patek and what do you mean

I leave that as an exercise for you to figure out.
Depends what it looks like and how expensive it is. Personally, I wouldn't spend more than £30 on a watch, we have phones so we don't use watches for other than decoration/fashion.

i was debating whether to buy a fairly expensive watch should i or is it just a waste of money
Don't see why not - you can resell it later if you don't want it anymore - the prices don't depreciate so quickly either.
Same, I wouldn't spend (ideally) more than £15, you can get good ones from H&M and places like that. Most £30, but even that is pointless because they're just to make your outfit look nicer plus I just use my phone to tell the time :biggrin:
Original post by hannxm
Expensive watches are pointless to me.
I have a cheap watch (Less than £20) that is stunning and people always think it's designer and/or compliment it. Most people don't even pay attention or notice designer watches.
I leave that as an exercise for you to figure out.

ahahahahaha
Original post by dangerouswoman
Depends what it looks like and how expensive it is. Personally, I wouldn't spend more than £30 on a watch, we have phones so we don't use watches for other than decoration/fashion.

i have been looking at the likes of rolex patek and omega

Waste of money in my eyes. Even a cheap one will do the job, only problem would be the life expectancy of it.

If i was you I'd just use a certain amount (e.g. Budget of £100) so that you don't over do it when buying watches.

Quick Reply

Latest