AnEvolvedApe
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I applied to the PGCE PCET course very late due to a lot of happenings in the summer but I feel like I am rushing onto the course when I don't want to do it just yet.

I only really applied so soon because I despise going to the job centre and I cannot seem to find a job.

My initial plan was to have a gap year, do an MSc and then PGCE after, but I rushed onto the PGCE now so I can just avoid the job centre for a year.

What would you do in this situation? Any advice?
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you have any sort of idea for what you want to do on a gap year, I'd suggest you do it. Gap years can open doors and change minds for a lot of people. I have two cousins who went on gap years in different continents and never came back.

But if you don't have a plan for a gap year and you're reasonably sure that you want to do the PGCE at some point in the near future, it can be better to do it now so you don't waste a year trying to find a job or whatever.

I'd suggest you flip a coin and see if either option disappoints you, like Sheldon did in the Big Bang Theory when deciding between a PS4 and an Xbox One.
AnEvolvedApe
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by HoldThisL)
If you have any sort of idea for what you want to do on a gap year, I'd suggest you do it. Gap years can open doors and change minds for a lot of people. I have two cousins who went on gap years in different continents and never came back.

But if you don't have a plan for a gap year and you're reasonably sure that you want to do the PGCE at some point in the near future, it can be better to do it now so you don't waste a year trying to find a job or whatever.

I'd suggest you flip a coin and see if either option disappoints you, like Sheldon did in the Big Bang Theory when deciding between a PS4 and an Xbox One.
Well. The other reason why I want to postpone the PGCE is because I would like to do an Master's first but the main reason for the year out to do the Master's is because I will hopefully be inline with the new funding proposals for 2018.

The most I intend to do whilst having a year out is getting some teaching experience/shadowing, volunteering, experimenting with some business ideas and/or getting experience in the IT field.

I just don't think I am ready for the PGCE.
bob0079
Badges: 8
Report 3 years ago
Doing the PGCE first will more than likely give you Masters Credits, so will make it easier to do your Masters. You will also find out if Teaching is actually for you without having done a Masters which push you further into education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (168)
58.33%
I don't have everything I need (120)
41.67%

Watched Threads