The Student Room Group
Original post by Aaron Kazi
7A* and 5 As, or 7A* and 4 As?
Basically is it better to have a higher proportion of A stars or more GCSEs in total (if applying to oxford/russell group unis etc.)

Thanks

I don't think it makes any difference at all
Original post by Aaron Kazi
7A* and 5 As, or 7A* and 4 As?
Basically is it better to have a higher proportion of A stars or more GCSEs in total (if applying to oxford/russell group unis etc.)

Thanks

Afraid I don't know but this is something I'm worrying about too! I got 7 A*s 6 As but I worry someone who got just 8 straight A*s will look better than me when it's really not my fault I had to take so many random subjects I hated like D.T resistant materials and stuff. I really hope the calculations take everything into account with points or something because I worked hard for some of those As!
7a* 5a
In this case I'd say 7A*s and 5As as you've got the same grades plus one more and both have a mixture of A*s/As, however it really won't matter that much as usually only your top ten or something are counted. But, I would say it'd be better to concentrate on less (say only 10) GCSEs and try and get top grades in all than more; quality over quantity.
If, however, you had 7A*s and 5As and someone else had say 9A*s, I think the 9A*s would be looked upon as better even though they have less GCSEs total because it is straight A*s.
Reply 5
Neither, they don't matter once you have A Levels
Original post by 16DuffyE
It shouldn't matter too much. I know that Cardiff uni score you on your 8 highest grades but the grades you put are the same either way in that case. It's probably easier to just have the 4As cause then you can focus on the subjects more, as the average amount of grades is 10 and you already have above that with the 4As anyway.

Don't forget to check post dates before replying :smile:
Original post by Admit-One
Don't forget to check post dates before replying :smile:

Yep suddenly realised 😬😂
Original post by 16DuffyE
Yep suddenly realised 😬😂

It happens a lot, don't worry about it. I've asked for this one to be closed.

Latest