New or old specification A-Level Edexcel Maths? Watch

AliceBall
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey folks,

I'm a mature student teaching myself A-Level maths in the hope to take all the exams in 2018.
I'm in the process of trying to pick between the old specification and the new one.
I'm leaning towards the new specification, but am worried that there will not be the same resources available , such as past papers(I have found one past paper for the new specification compared to fourteen of the old one.)

Does anyone have some helpful advice out there?
And is anyone in a similar position?
sulaimanali
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
subjects? exam boards?
sulaimanali
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OLD obviously though.
The Learn Ranger
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
moving to Maths forum
memesherrif101
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OLD, modules are where it's at
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AliceBall)
Hey folks,

I'm a mature student teaching myself A-Level maths in the hope to take all the exams in 2018.
I'm in the process of trying to pick between the old specification and the new one.
I'm leaning towards the new specification, but am worried that there will not be the same resources available , such as past papers(I have found one past paper for the new specification compared to fourteen of the old one.)

Does anyone have some helpful advice out there?
And is anyone in a similar position?
It's a tricky decision. Are you definitely planning to take all the exams in 2018? After 2018 you won't be able to take all of the modules for the first time so if you went modular you'd have to take all the modules next year.

You're right that the modular spec has a lot more past papers but questions in these papers can be used as practice for the new spec. But you can get very used to the style of a modular exam by doing loads of past papers and this won't be possible for the linear exams.

One thing to think about though: schools/teachers over the years have become more and more used to the old spec and know the kinds of questions that come up. So the lack of resources for the new spec may be balanced by the fact that someone who self-teaches won't have the advantage of having a teacher directing them how to do well in the modular exam. For the linear spec, everyone is in the same boat in that teachers aren't used to the new spec so exam results may not be as good as they were in modular exams and this means that grade boundaries could be low, especially in the first year.

Why are you leaning to the new spec out of interest?

EDITED to remove wrong information.
ukheman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When I made the call to edexcel was advised C3 C4 S2 exams would be available in 2019 currently C1 C2 S1 will not be ..

Also the cross over from modular to linear id quite significant as certain topics from further are now in A Level Mathematics..

Hence will be sticking to the old spec as I'm a resitter
AliceBall
Rep:
?
Hey, thanks for your help.

Yes will be taking all the exams 2018.

I was leaning towards the new specification so that I would have the option to re-take the following year if I didn't achieve the grade I would like.
I have just started to get in contact with potential schools and colleges to take my exams at, and I'm not sure if it might be hard to find places to sit the exams for the old specification. But I think if I can find somewhere to take the old specification exams, then its probably the right way to go.

Yes this is true, everyone will be in the same boat, but as someone who is relying on past papers quite a lot, perhaps its wise to stick to the old one.

I keep flipping between the two!

(Original post by Notnek)
It's a tricky decision. Are you definitely planning to take all the exams in 2018? After 2018 you won't be able to take all of the modules for the first time so if you went modular you'd have to take all the modules next year.

You're right that the modular spec has a lot more past papers but questions in these papers can be used as practice for the new spec. But you can get very used to the style of a modular exam by doing loads of past papers and this won't be possible for the linear exams.

One thing to think about though: schools/teachers over the years have become more and more used to the old spec and know the kinds of questions that come up. So the lack of resources for the new spec may be balanced by the fact that someone who self-teaches won't have the advantage of having a teacher directing them how to do well in the modular exam. For the linear spec, everyone is in the same boat in that teachers aren't used to the new spec so exam results may not be as good as they were in modular exams and this means that grade boundaries could be low, especially in the first year.

Why are you leaning to the new spec out of interest?

EDITED to remove wrong information.
AliceBall
Rep:
?
(Original post by sulaimanali)
subjects? exam boards?
Maths, Edexcel
Erdon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It kinda depends which syllabus you prefer I'm doing old style edexcel which I love (mainly numerical and logical) however our teacher gave us some new style questions and quite a few of them are more wordy to answer and more 'learnt' ^-^ I'd personally go with old but everyone's different so it would be whatever suits you
noorah.dj
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ukheman)
When I made the call to edexcel was advised C3 C4 S2 exams would be available in 2019 currently C1 C2 S1 will not be ..

Also the cross over from modular to linear id quite significant as certain topics from further are now in A Level Mathematics..

Hence will be sticking to the old spec as I'm a resitter

Will what you are saying apply to me ? I am doing my first yr of alevels and want to sit c1 c2 s1 in 2018 (old edexcel spec) and then want to take the other 3 modules (old spec) in 2019 - will it be possible since i am not a resitter?

thank you.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by noorah.dj)
Will what you are saying apply to me ? I am doing my first yr of alevels and want to sit c1 c2 s1 in 2018 (old edexcel spec) and then want to take the other 3 modules (old spec) in 2019 - will it be possible since i am not a resitter?

thank you.
Which modules do you want to sit in 2019? This is very risky ... why aren;t you taking the new spec?
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Which modules do you want to sit in 2019? This is very risky ... why aren;t you taking the new spec?
Is it even possible? You can't sit nodules for the first time in 2019, no?
noorah.dj
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
because i already have the books for the old spec and have started studying for c1 c2 and s1 ... and dont fancy having to learn a new specification with not as much past papers and resources and would rather take them all as the old spec over 2 yrs -- but i am not sure if that is even an option (sitting old spec in 2019 (c3 c4 s2)

* i want to sit c1 c2 and s1 in 2018 and c3 c4 s2 in 2019
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Notnek)
Is it even possible? You can't sit nodules for the first time in 2019, no?
Exactly - only as resits.

"AS and A level subjects
Q: For legacy specifications, when are the resit opportunities?
A: Students taking legacy AS/A levels in any subject will have the opportunity to re-sit these qualifications in the summer following the final scheduled award. For example, for 2015 reformed subjects, the final AS/A level legacy resit entries will be in summer 2017
Q: Who is eligible for the AS/A level resit?A: Only students who have previously entered for the AS/A level may enter for the legacy resit. Otherwise, only candidates who have good reason not to have taken it when planned (such as illness) may enter.
Q: Which units will be available for the AS/A level resit?
A: All units will be available, as in any normal summer series."

https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...-questions.pdf on page 5
underxxted
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I feel like the old specification would be easier as you have way more resources. Whereas the new specification theres a limited amount of preparation you could do.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by noorah.dj)
because i already have the books for the old spec and have started studying for c1 c2 and s1 ... and dont fancy having to learn a new specification with not as much past papers and resources and would rather take them all as the old spec over 2 yrs -- but i am not sure if that is even an option (sitting old spec in 2019 (c3 c4 s2)

* i want to sit c1 c2 and s1 in 2018 and c3 c4 s2 in 2019
The new specification is not too dissimilar. All of your knowledge will be applicable to the new specification.
P.S.I
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey could you let me know where I can find that one Past Paper for the new spec please.
(Original post by AliceBall)
Hey folks,
?
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by P.S.I)
Hey could you let me know where I can find that one Past Paper for the new spec please.
There aren't any past papers yet. There are some sample papers here:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...le-assessments
Physics0999
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does that mean that the final assesement for the old specifications was May/June 2018? So if somebody want to take an A level maths from Edexcel right now, he MUST sit the three papers exams for the new spec (9MAO 1, 2, and 3) in May/June 2020?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (48)
25.53%
No (140)
74.47%

Watched Threads