Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41139319

Spoiler:
Show

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has warned Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi that the treatment of the Muslim Rohingya is "besmirching" the country's reputation.

Mr Johnson called on Ms Suu Kyi, the country's de facto leader, to "use her remarkable qualities" to end prejudice against Muslims in Rakhine state. Violence in the province erupted about a week ago, with some 58,000 refugees fleeing to neighbouring Bangladesh.

More than 100 people are thought to have died in the violence. The Rohingya claim that security forces and Buddhist mobs of burning their villages.

Burma Campaign UK - which lobbies European governments in a bid to restore human rights and democracy in Burma - believes the foreign secretary could have gone further in his remarks. Its director, Mark Farmaner, said Mr Johnson should have also criticised the armed forces' commander-in-chief, Ming Aung Hlaing.

He said: "Min Aung Hlaing's soldiers are the ones killing hundreds of Rohingya and he is the only person in Burma with the power to order soldiers to stop attacking Rohingya villagers, shooting children and burning families alive in their homes."

You'd think in 2017 government sponsored genocide wouldn't still be a thing.
HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Suu Kyi should not have been given the nobel peace prize at the first place.

The nobel peace prize is a highly political award. They give it to people that doesnt deserve it. like obama and dalai lama. These days the nobel prize is just given to those who appease to the political establishment and say/do things that are politically correct.. I'd say we should defo rescind that prize from Suu Kyi.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
the entire thing started with Islamic militants. I think he's preventing a problem from inflating in the future.
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
Lol? Obama doesn't deserve the Peace Prize?

Obama improved racial harmony in the US, inspired a generation of minorities, led the US out of economic collapse, took down a bloodthirsty tyrant, built defences in eastern Europe, had a nuclear deal with Iran, fought climate change, and put a big dent in ISIS.

Far more than that orange baboon Donald Drumpf has ever done, or that war criminal George Bush.
And murdered american citizens without due process.
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
Lol? Obama doesn't deserve the Peace Prize?

Obama improved racial harmony in the US, inspired a generation of minorities, led the US out of economic collapse, took down a bloodthirsty tyrant, built defences in eastern Europe, had a nuclear deal with Iran, fought climate change, and put a big dent in ISIS.

Far more than that orange baboon Donald Drumpf has ever done, or that war criminal George Bush.
Why are you bringing trump into this, he wasn't mentioned?

No he didn't America was a more racially divided place when obama left.
What does that have to do with the peace prize?
Arguably as illegally as bush and 2 years after he got the award.
The opposite of what the peace prize is about.
A long time after he got the award.
While they existed back in 09 they were not in Obamas radar.

What did he do before 2009 that makes him worthy of this award?

In his presidency obama had:
10 times more drone strikes than bush
In 2016 dropped 3 bombs every hour
Bombed something like 7 countries
He is the only president to serve 2 terms complete terms with the nation at war

The truth is obama is a war hawk.
Mauryan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pretish)
the entire thing started with Islamic militants. I think he's preventing a problem from inflating in the future.
No it didn't. The militants are the results of persecution for decades. These people are not allowed to go to school and have travel restrictions within the country. Violence on them have happened many times before forcing half of their population to live as refugees abroad.

And the militants are not "Islamic militants" they just happen to be muslims. Their goal is purely political not religious.
luq_ali
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for this very relevant post. How ironic would it be for a previous recipient of a Nobel Peace Prize to later be charged with War Crimes and genocide? (not sure if that has ever happened before)

(Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41139319

Spoiler:
Show

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has warned Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi that the treatment of the Muslim Rohingya is "besmirching" the country's reputation.

Mr Johnson called on Ms Suu Kyi, the country's de facto leader, to "use her remarkable qualities" to end prejudice against Muslims in Rakhine state. Violence in the province erupted about a week ago, with some 58,000 refugees fleeing to neighbouring Bangladesh.

More than 100 people are thought to have died in the violence. The Rohingya claim that security forces and Buddhist mobs of burning their villages.

Burma Campaign UK - which lobbies European governments in a bid to restore human rights and democracy in Burma - believes the foreign secretary could have gone further in his remarks. Its director, Mark Farmaner, said Mr Johnson should have also criticised the armed forces' commander-in-chief, Ming Aung Hlaing.

He said: "Min Aung Hlaing's soldiers are the ones killing hundreds of Rohingya and he is the only person in Burma with the power to order soldiers to stop attacking Rohingya villagers, shooting children and burning families alive in their homes."

You'd think in 2017 government sponsored genocide wouldn't still be a thing.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Loverboy25678)
You do know Pakistani men, Indian men and Bengali men all marry out more statistically than their own in every generation?

There is even brothels ran by Pakistani men full of white females
Stop bumping old threads to spread your bile.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (628)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (311)
20.43%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.53%

Watched Threads