The Student Room Group

Is medicine at Cambridge worth it?

Hello there,

I am thinking of applying to Cambridge and am an international student. I will have to pay tuition fees of £50000 + college fee of £10000 and living costs of £10000. Totalling £70000 per year. I could go to a London uni paying 30k a year and live or home. Is paying so much worth it for medicine at Cambridge ?
Reply 1
In your specific circumstances, probably not, since it would cost so much more (are the fees really that much higher than the London unis?! I've never looked at it). For internationals who don't have a UK base with free accommodation, and for home students, the calculation would be different.
Reply 2
Original post by joshchamp125
Hello there,

I am thinking of applying to Cambridge and am an international student. I will have to pay tuition fees of £50000 + college fee of £10000 and living costs of £10000. Totalling £70000 per year. I could go to a London uni paying 30k a year and live or home. Is paying so much worth it for medicine at Cambridge ?

Living costs at Cambridge are lower than London and can certainly be below £10k. And college fees vary and are, I think, nearer £8k.

Do a careful budget analysis...

Your first challenge though will be getting *any* offers. International medicine places are capped at all universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by joshchamp125
Hello there,

How are you international if you reside in the UK?
Original post by HateOCR

I reside in the UK but I do not have indefinite leave to remain.
Depends on if you can deal with the teaching style.
Depends if your family can realistically pay Cambridge or not. In medicine the most important is that the uni provides you the best courses, experimental classes and the ability to be a recognised doctor. The reputation in medicine is only for your ego as there will not be employers at your feet. Just see which university will be the best match for you, courses, fees etc...
But hey, it's Cambridge! Sincerely, only you can answer this question.
Original post by HateOCR

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_student_(United_Kingdom)
Cambridge doesn't really offer any significant advantage for medicine, so if it's going to be a lot more expensive, I'd say probably go for London (although of course international applications are highly competitive for medicine).
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Cambridge doesn't really offer any significant advantage for medicine, so if it's going to be a lot more expensive, I'd say probably go for London (although of course international applications are highly competitive for medicine).

^^^ this.
Too many people think the name of Cambridge will give them advantages for their career prospect.
Medicine is a highly regulated course, unlike other courses, so you'll be taught at sufficiently appropriate level whichever medical school you were trained at and will be treated so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending