The Student Room Group

what calculator to use in alevel helpppp

can you use Casio 991 EX in ALevel mathematics exam. it can solve algebraic equations and all the difficult stuff. please reply fasttt

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hurry. please someone
Reply 2
Original post by alevels22
hurry. please someone

Yes it's fine. What's the rush?
You should look at your exam boards specification.
Casio fx-991ES PLUS is the best calculator
Reply 5
Original post by matty1356
Casio fx-991ES PLUS is the best calculator

It's great for the modular spec but it doesn't meet the requirements for the new linear spec starting this year. The FX-991EX will be the most popular calculator.
Reply 6
can you use Casio 991 EX in ALevel mathematics exam. it can solve algebraic equations and all the difficult stuff. please reply fasttt

As above, it's perfectly fine; it doesn't do symbolic integration.
Check your spec/your Maths department, my own one sold Casio FX-C50
Reply 8
is there any guarantee it will be allowed in the exam. I'll appear for the cie maths exam. and is there anything in alevel maths that we can't do without the EX like we can't do sin, tan without calculator except by wasting much time
Reply 9
the cie ALevel maths syllabus states that calculators with algebraic manipulation cannot be used. the 991 ex can do algebraic manipulation
Reply 10
Original post by Notnek
It's great for the modular spec but it doesn't meet the requirements for the new linear spec starting this year. The FX-991EX will be the most popular calculator.

Reply 11
the cie ALevel maths syllabus states that calculators with algebraic manipulation cannot be used. the 991 ex can do algebraic manipulation

The fx991ex does not do any algebraic manipulation. It can solve equations numerically but that is different.

I can assure you 100% that the fx991ex is allowed in all A Level maths exams.
Reply 12
Original post by Notnek
The fx991ex does not do any algebraic manipulation. It can solve equations numerically but that is different.

I can assure you 100% that the fx991ex is allowed in all A Level maths exams.

but what can it do that the ES can't. and is the new function absolutely necessary to do through calculator or is it just a faster method?
Reply 13
but what can it do that the ES can't. and is the new function absolutely necessary to do through calculator or is it just a faster method?

binomial distribution if I remember correctly.
I only have the normal scientific one. I'll upgrade if my teacher says to because I've had the current one 5 years
Reply 15

Are you doing international A Level or UK A Level maths?

Also please stop bumping the thread. Be patient.
Reply 16
Original post by Reece.W.J
I only have the normal scientific one. I'll upgrade if my teacher says to because I've had the current one 5 years

If you are starting A Level maths then you'll need to upgrade your calculator if your teacher says so or not, otherwise you'll be severely disadvantaged in the statistics exam. But it's best to wait until you get a calculator recommendation from your school.
Reply 17
I'm doing international cie ALevel.
I was in a hurry because my dad was shopping for the calculator and was asking which one so I didn't really have an hour to discuss things. i needed quick answer.
Reply 18
he bought 991 ES Plus btw
Reply 19
he bought 991 ES Plus btw

For CIE international A Level that's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest