lonelybear
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm not sure which out of the three I should do. Which is the easiest? I do Computer science, so I assume D1 would be a good choice, but I also do geography, so S1 works well with that. I don't know which to do for my AS. What do you guys think?
NSCarter
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lonelybear)
I'm not sure which out of the three I should do. Which is the easiest? I do Computer science, so I assume D1 would be a good choice, but I also do geography, so S1 works well with that. I don't know which to do for my AS. What do you guys think?
I found D1 the easiest. It's all algorithms so you should be fine so long as you can follow a set of instructions.

Edit: D1 also links in well with computer science as some of the algorithms you use in D1 come up in computer science.
negatron
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ive only done S1 and M1, out of those two for me S1 is easier. and yes it does help with geography but geography does stats in a different way so sometimes its completely irrelevant
Integral_Chicken
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This choice is based entirely on your area of interest. M1 is very mathematical and uses lots of algebraic manipulation to achieve solutions. S1 is fairly mathematical but requires a great deal of understanding of all the topics. D1 is by far the least "mathematial" of the the three introductory applied modules and relies on a very heuristic approach to problem solving. D1 is very often a love-it-or-hate-it kind of module, as you are either a very practical person and are able to, in a way, turn off your brain and think like a computer, or you're very much so a theoretical person in which case (not always) you can have problems overthinking problems in D1.

In terms of difficulty, I would personally say that the statistics modules are the hardest, but this is an unpopular opinion as people generally say that mechanics is by far the hardest. If you don't care for very intense mathematical solutions and lots of algebraic manipulation then you will most likely find mechanics hard, and as such I'd say it is not for you. Statistics is very hit or miss as the mathematics behind it really isn't hard at all, but the some of the concepts are harder to grasp than you'd think. It's more or less a unanimous opinion that D1 is mathematically the easiest and also pretty easy going conceptually. The key to D1 is to pretty much follow a set of instructions and completely ignore your intuition. You saying that you're doing computer science is a help, and would probably be the reason I'd recommend you do D1.

If you've any further question feel free to ask
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Everybody I know who did d1 claimed it was extremely easy. Never did it myself, I did both S1 and M1 over my A level. Got a D in S1 and and a U in M1 sooo you can guess which one was harder to me.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are no modules now if you are starting AS in September - everyone does mechanics and stats.
lonelybear
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
There are no modules now if you are starting AS in September - everyone does mechanics and stats.
I mean, I will privately re sit the exam
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I mean, I will privately re sit the exam
OK- then I'd go fo D1 as it best fits your other subjects. Which did you sit already?
lonelybear
Rep:
?
OK- then I'd go fo D1 as it best fits your other subjects. Which did you sit already?
I haven't done any, since I'm retaking the year. But, I previously sat S1; hated it though.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I haven't done any, since I'm retaking the year. But, I previously sat S1; hated it though.
Are you still doing the old spec then? S1 is my least favourite to teach tbh; I'd go with D1
lonelybear
Rep:
?
Are you still doing the old spec then? S1 is my least favourite to teach tbh; I'd go with D1
My school is letting me do the new spec, which combines stats and mechanics but I'm thinking of just paying for my exams, and do them independently.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My school is letting me do the new spec, which combines stats and mechanics but I'm thinking of just paying for my exams, and do them independently.
So you'd have to self-teach D1 to do that? Sounds a bit risky ..
lonelybear
Rep:
?
So you'd have to self-teach D1 to do that? Sounds a bit risky ..
Hopefully not!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University