Vet/Animal based jobs from a Biology degree? Watch

Tyler2709
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, always wanted to be a vet but unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to happen! Can anyone advise me on jobs as closely related to this as possible which I could go into from a biology degree? Thanks in advance
by the way, I have 3 years experience working with animals and am probably going to finish my Biology BSc at University of Nottingham with a 2:1
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Next option is to be a veterinary nurse. They put a lot of emphasis on having previous experience (working in a veterinary surgery), but having a qualification in veterinary nursing is really important. They have vet nursing degrees, just like a human nursing degree, and it has become apparent that they are employing people almost always who have this degree and who have become registered (having some experience and a diploma like me will not get you employed).
A biology degree would not be that helpful as it does not teach you about animal anatomy, administering anaesthetic and monitoring an animal under anaesthesia (a big part of a vet nurse), picking up on subtle signs of illness, as well as a whole host of other things related to animal care. You generally need a vet nursing degree to become registered; something increasingly requested by surgeries.
Tyler2709
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by hannxm)
Next option is to be a veterinary nurse. They put a lot of emphasis on having previous experience (working in a veterinary surgery), but having a qualification in veterinary nursing is really important. They have vet nursing degrees, just like a human nursing degree, and it has become apparent that they are employing people almost always who have this degree and who have become registered.
A biology degree would not be that helpful as it does not teach you about animal anatomy, administering anaesthetic and monitoring an animal under anaesthesia (a big part of a vet nurse), picking up on subtle signs of illness, as well as a whole host of other things related to animal care. You generally need a vet nursing degree to become registered; something increasingly requested by surgeries.
thanks for replying! what options do i have to become a vet nurse? I don't really want to do another degree unless its to become a vet directly. Also, from being a vet nurse is there any way of being a vet other than doing a 5 year degree?
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tyler2709)
thanks for replying! what options do i have to become a vet nurse? I don't really want to do another degree unless its to become a vet directly. Also, from being a vet nurse is there any way of being a vet other than doing a 5 year degree?
I didn't want to do a degree either, unless it was to become a vet, as it seemed a bit much but I think they're treating them more like NHS nurses now. Before, you could work as one without a degree, without being registered and there were more opportunities to learn on the job, but now it seems you need a degree and to become registered.

I worked in a surgery for two weeks and picked up so much in such a short time; I was helping vets in surgeries, getting the surgeries prepared, prepping animals and vets for surgery, cleaning surgical equipment, cleaned up the organs, helped with monitoring animals under anaesthesia, helping with euthanasia etc. If I worked there for any longer, I would've been just as good and as useful as the fellow nurses and the manager and nurses seemed pretty impressed at how quickly I'd picked it up. That was partly why I felt a degree was a waste of time unless you want to be a vet.
Nurses do get to do minor surgery, but even then, after watching numerous testicle and tail castrations, I had already remembered how it was done, even how they would stitch. Castrations are pretty simple. If they offered me to do it, I would likely have been able to do it at the time, but I don't think they realised just how much I had absorbed and wouldn't risk being showed up that the 'work experience' girl with two weeks experience could do their job. :lol:
Literally though, all vets and nurses get to do are spays and castrations. Most days consisted of doing nothing but them. Very rarely do they have anything new to do and even then, it's probably to remove a cyst or a tooth. They seemed bored with it at times.

Nurses in the NHS have gone on to become doctors, but not sure if you can just "top up". May be different though in the animal world, as animals aren't considered as important as humans. You'd have to look into that.

To become a vet nurse:
Volunteer in a surgery.
Try to apply for any (if any) jobs that pop up that allow you to learn on the job.
Look out for apprenticeships (if any).
Maybe do some animal based qualifications (though my animal management 180 credit diploma doesn't seem enough).
Do a vet nursing degree and become registered (the only sure fire way of getting into the job, however, you don't get paid very much and jobs are fe and far between).
BiologyBathSpa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could go into wildlife conservation jobs if you like working outside. I didn't get the grades for vet school but ended up doing pretty well and am now a lecturer and head of Biology!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (358)
56.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed