The Student Room Group

Turning 19 soon would i be eligible for free NHS braces

I was wondering if I'd be eligible for the free NHS braces as I'm turning 19 soon? Also how long would it take my dentist to decide whether I'll be able ?
I will obviously be visiting my dentist but I thought I'd ask here too
Original post by Anonymous
I was wondering if I'd be eligible for the free NHS braces as I'm turning 19 soon? Also how long would it take my dentist to decide whether I'll be able ?
I will obviously be visiting my dentist but I thought I'd ask here too

It is an extremely long wait. I just got them after two plus years of waiting. Your dentist will refer you to an orthodontist if you really need braces and then he will make the final decision. Usually they will only give you braces if your teeth are in a really bad state and as long as you don't want braces purely for aesthetics. There is a chart you can find online that orthodontists use to decide whether you medically need braces. Hope this helped bro.
Reply 2
it took me 4 years to get my bracers as i was having surgery to correct a underbite at the same time so it might not be as long for other people. I would think if you are 19 you might still be OK for bracers but again it is something best discussed with your dentist.
I think the wait can depend on the area, my dentist recommended I had braces in December, and by Easter I was being fitted for my first retainer (braces then retainer again), my teeth weren't as bad some peoples, I had one tooth that was quite twisted and then my lower front teeth overlapped a bit
But it's down to the dentist if you have them done (on the NHS, you can go private)
Reply 4
Original post by iElvendork
I think the wait can depend on the area, my dentist recommended I had braces in December, and by Easter I was being fitted for my first retainer (braces then retainer again), my teeth weren't as bad some peoples, I had one tooth that was quite twisted and then my lower front teeth overlapped a bit
But it's down to the dentist if you have them done (on the NHS, you can go private)

I have overcrowding and a high canine that needs to be bought down I think I'd have to have 4 teeth extractions do you think it would take a long time ?
Original post by Anonymous
I have overcrowding and a high canine that needs to be bought down I think I'd have to have 4 teeth extractions do you think it would take a long time ?

Start to finish I was Easter 2009 to January 2012
Having teeth out and then lining them back up could take a while
There's not really a timescale for it being done, my orthodontist just decided at my second to last check up that they were ready to come off (In time for prom woooo)
All depends on how fast the teeth move, and how much needs to be done
Reply 6
Also I doubt they will refer me to a orthodontist within a month becasue my birthday is within a month which means I doubt I'll be able to get my braces done for free 😭😭

Quick Reply

Latest