Should Wayne Rooney be let off with a warning for Drink Drving? Watch

Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In now way do I condone drink driving but Wayne Rooney made a mistake. There was no crash and nobody hurt.

Rooney has been of great service to this country as a top class footballer and brought joy to millions of Brits if he is convicted of DD, he will be tarnished by a criminal record that will damage his reputation as a role model for young people.
I think he should be given a warning and a hefty fine maybe conditional discharge? Also in his role he needs to drive around a lot.

It's got nothing to do with being a fan of Rooney, but more to do with common sense and giving people a second chance.
Asterac
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If he is found to be guilty of DD then yeah he should get a criminal record regardless. Just because someone is famous shouldn't mean they can away with more stuff.
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
In now way do I condone drink driving but Wayne Rooney made a mistake. There was no crash and nobody hurt.

Rooney has been of great service to this country as a top class footballer and brought joy to millions of Brits if he is convicted of DD, he will be tarnished by a criminal record that will damage his reputation as a role model for young people.
I think he should be given a warning and a hefty fine maybe conditional discharge? Also in his role he needs to drive around a lot.

It's got nothing to do with being a fan of Rooney, but more to do with common sense and giving people a second chance.
This isn't the only thing he's ever done, where have you been? He's done many things like this before, he regularly sleeps with prostitutes and various people have tried to sue him for libel and other things that were his fault, all these things are illegal. He needs to be convicted, it's lucky nobody was hurt but they could have been. He's an adult and should know by know that drink driving is illegal and very dangerous. He's in no way a role model for younger people, the amount of immoral and illegal things he's done should already have been more than enough to drop him from football forever. He doesn't need to drive around at all, he makes enough money to be able to get taxis everywhere he wants, every single day,
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
He can afford to hire a driver to drive hims everywhere ffs. No sympathy.

If some normal working class person got pulled over for drink driving they would have everything thrown at them.
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
He was very lucky that no one else got hurt, but in no way should be let off. He could have got a taxi or someone else to drive him home. No excuses at all.
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Asterac)
If he is found to be guilty of DD then yeah he should get a criminal record regardless. Just because someone is famous shouldn't mean they can away with more stuff.
This ^

He should be punished just like anyone else who does it. He's human and he still increased the risk of injuring himself and others for his reckless, illegal behaviour.
tcameron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why should he get a pass because he's famous? And really he's done a lot for the country? What about if it was a top surgeon who was caught drink driving, should they be let off too because they've done a lot to save lives in our country?
If someone wasn't hurt now, someone will be next time if he isn't properly punished.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

My chum recently got done for drunk driving - she could have killed someone - so could he.

He will no longer be allowed to go to the USA and rightly so. Also probably Australia and NZ.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No he should not be let off. The law is the same whether you're a world famous superstar or a regular bloke on the street.

Rooney has had numerous problems with alcohol in the past, so hopefully a conviction will make him realise he needs to get his act together.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
My chum recently got done for drunk driving - she could have killed someone - so could he.

He will no longer be allowed to go to the USA and rightly so. Also probably Australia and NZ.
A DD offence doesn't rule out travelling to The States.
Muserock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If he is found guilty, he should be punished for what he has done. I understand that no one was hurt but no one else would be let off so why should he.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
He should get the same punishment as anyone else, as should any famous person who commits a crime; it doesn't set a good example to let them off lightly, and there's no real reason to anyway!
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
A DD offence doesn't rule out travelling to The States.
Drill down deeper - it does
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...SldUbkhOcm4%3D
HucktheForde
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
these days there is uber and grab car on top of the regular taxi

its not tht hard

people need to take personal responsibility.
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
DD is not an offence of moral turpitude which means it currently does not have to be declared on application for visa waver or esta.

However the USA is cracking down on who is allowed to enter and convicted drink drivers are among those who will be barred entry. In the USA convictions from outside are never considered 'spent'. The USA is even considering getting rid of the visa waiver scheme and requiring all Brits to apply for a full visa.

It might not seem fair but Trump is having to clean up the mess from the Obama years.

The irony is that in Britain DD is a criminal offence but in a lot of other countries it's only a motoring offence, despite having stricter lower alcohol limits than in Britain. So British drink drivers will be banned from entering the USA, while drink drivers from other countries will be allowed entry, simply because we regard DD as a criminal offence.
math42
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No.
Ninja Gandhi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Probably shouldn't be a role model if he's drink driving...
username3517176
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Doesn't matter, he was still drink driving and should be punished like anyone else. I'll give you an example, I know someone that has no criminal record who was drunk and only went to move their car from the side of the road to their driveway, a police officer happened to drive by and saw it, got charged with drink driving and is now banned for a whole year with points on the licence. If that person got these kind of charges like this then why shouldn't Rooney get charged and more harshly?

What so because Shrek kicks a football about he is allowed to do anything he wants? Bloody hell, the guy is a thug and if it were not for his career he would of had a criminal record ages ago, he is in no way a role model.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My chum tells me that she can get into the US but them has to complete some form where she states that she has not been convicted of any criminal offence. So she will be sent back probably.

She was going to retire there and has now scuppered those chances - she knows.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (114)
17.73%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.53%
Not great so far... (229)
35.61%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.13%

Watched Threads