The Student Room Group

Graphic Design/Communication

Hi, I am currently in Year 13 (about to start) and I want to study Graphic Design. I'm predicted ABB and I want to go to a Russel Group Uni but I want to know which ones have the best city/campus life and offer good opportunities and a variety of things to study for example Advertising. I like the look of Leeds but it is far away (I live near Bristol). Also does many places give unconditional offers for Graphics?

Thank you! :smile:
Because graphic design is a very creative subject, few RG universities offer it. I can only see Edinburgh and Southampton. But there are hundreds of courses at non RG universities offering graphic design or similar courses. You need to focus on which will offer you the course that will suit your own interests and needs. This is one of those occasions for dumping the TSR bias about the Russell Group and look further afield.
Reply 2
Original post by Crumpet1
Because graphic design is a very creative subject, few RG universities offer it. I can only see Edinburgh and Southampton. But there are hundreds of courses at non RG universities offering graphic design or similar courses. You need to focus on which will offer you the course that will suit your own interests and needs. This is one of those occasions for dumping the TSR bias about the Russell Group and look further afield.

I have looked into Southampton and didn't like it, and Edinburgh is too far away which is annoying because I love the look of it. I have looked into other ones that aren't Russel Group like De Monfort but I want ones to aim for I guess. Any recommendations of ones that aren't Russel Group?
Both are relatively easy to get to, perhaps Edinburgh more so because it is a rail and flight hub. What was it you didn't like about Southampton?
Original post by bethuhm
Hi, I am currently in Year 13 (about to start) and I want to study Graphic Design. I'm predicted ABB and I want to go to a Russel Group Uni but I want to know which ones have the best city/campus life and offer good opportunities and a variety of things to study for example Advertising. I like the look of Leeds but it is far away (I live near Bristol). Also does many places give unconditional offers for Graphics?

Hi bethuhm,

You might want to check out Ravensbourne, we are an industry-focused design and digital media university sector college located in London. We are currently ranked 49 in the world and 7th in the UK for Art and Design. Some of our alumnus include David Bowie, Stella McCartney, Jay Osgerby, Simon Egan and Gareth Unwin. Our reputation is international - we were recently named one of the top 100 European design schools by Italian architecture and design magazine Domus.

Our BA Graphic Design course is award winning and is internationally recognised. I'm currently a student on the course and I can tell you it is a great course. We have regular talks and networking events from industry professionals. All the staff are also currently working in the industry and teach from experience. The course also has a great employment rate. We do various projects from branding, advertising and design innovation. You will also have the chance to work on live briefs and competitions.

The building itself is a great place to learn and is a collaborative environment which encourages you to work with other courses. I would recommend coming to one of our open days for a chance to talk to our staff and students.

I hope this has helped. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Row:h:
Reply 5
Original post by Crumpet1
Both are relatively easy to get to, perhaps Edinburgh more so because it is a rail and flight hub. What was it you didn't like about Southampton?

I didn't like the campus at all, it was too small and the accommodation was small too. The new modern accommodation is nice but still wasn't my cup of tea. Winchester is nice but its not for me
Original post by bethuhm

You might want to look at loughborough? They're not RG but they're very high on league tables and are seen as a very good uni
Reply 7
Original post by Verigans
You might want to look at loughborough? They're not RG but they're very high on league tables and are seen as a very good uni

I do like the look of Loughborough thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest