How do you define consciousness?

Watch
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Particularly with things such as Artificial Intelligence, it becomes increasingly important for us to have a definition of consciousness; but how would you define it? And is this a state that you think technology could reach?
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
One conceptually simple way, but somewhat difficult to parse, is to say consciousness means there is something like to be that thing.

In other words, consciousness is an experience, and that experience is "like" something - it's an experience that can be described.

In regards to AI, there doesn't seem to be anything special about meat that should make us think it's the sole conduit capable of supporting conscious experience. If similar processes occurred in silicon, it could be reasonable to expect consciousness to be present there as well. If something acts conscious, looks conscious, and in all respects seems conscious, you can say it's reasonable to believe it's conscious, but actually proving so is very difficult. This is the so-called hard problem of consciousness - we don't know exactly what results in conscious experience, and it's difficult to see how we could ever find out.
physicst
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
consciousness is illusion which is going to be illuminated in coming century, wait and watch
username3118454
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The ability to experience life.

I don't think anything inanimate has conciousness like we do but I can't prove it.

I mean who knows forget AI - your own macbook might be concious lol.
miser
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by physicst)
consciousness is illusion which is going to be illuminated in coming century, wait and watch
Consciousness is the one thing that can't be an illusion. Everything else might be - maybe you can't trust anything your senses tell you - but your senses nevertheless do exist. Your feelings in every moment are proof that you are conscious.
username3118454
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by miser)
Consciousness is the one thing that can't be an illusion. Everything else might be - maybe you can't trust anything your senses tell you - but your senses nevertheless do exist. Your feelings in every moment are proof that you are conscious.
You don't know whether your senses exist. It could be a massive trick played by your brain.

You do know your mind exists. Your ability to think is the only thing you know is real... from what I read anyway.

Edit: Oh wait I think you just said that. My bad. But how do you know your senses exist if you can't trust them?
miser
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by angelike1)
You don't know whether your senses exist. It could be a massive trick played by your brain.

You do know your mind exists. Your ability to think is the only thing you know is real... from what I read anyway.

Edit: Oh wait I think you just said that. My bad. But how do you know your senses exist if you can't trust them?
You know your senses exist because you feel them. You can doubt you have eyes, you can doubt what they see is really there, you can doubt you even have a brain, but you can't doubt that you have visual sensation.
username3118454
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by miser)
You know your senses exist because you feel them. You can doubt you have eyes, you can doubt what they see is really there, you can doubt you even have a brain, but you can't doubt that you have visual sensation.
Yeah I guess you're right.

By brain I was referring to the mind.
Max&Mindset
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Im guessing in the coming future we will be able to transport human minds into robotic "suits", that will interesting, we are already working on the concept of transplanting one human head to another body.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (124)
43.21%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
15.68%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (113)
39.37%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
1.74%

Watched Threads