The Student Room Group

Am I likely to get fired?

Hi,

I'm a postgrad just about to finish my dissertation.

I work at Tesco part-time as a CDA (groceries delivery driver), and this time last year was when I finally 'moved out for good' three hours away from where I grew up. I.e., I really need this job and am doing all the overtime I can get as well.

I've been with the company exactly two years now; never put a foot wrong, always do overtime, and have never received a warning of any kind.

Basically, the other week after a lot of rain I chose somewhere far from ideal to turn the van round and got stuck. I attempted to work it free but failed to, so rang management/recovery.

As I was waiting a guy pulls up in his van with some planks of wood and offers to help. His friend turns up with another van, and the small country lane was blocked. We try with the wood but in the spur of the moment with it not working, he says 'let me have a go' and I let him in the drivers seat (I was in the passenger seat for most of the time after this).

With obviously being more ballsy than I he manages to get out by backing the van up and 'taking a run at it.'

I get back on the road and deliver to the rest of my customers before heading back to store. I did everything right - calling managers/recovery etc and then cancelling recovery when I was free. Although my biggest concern was not waiting around for 90 minutes I saved Tesco money by not having recovery come/delayed evening vans/unhappy customers.

Now however I'm being investigated for 'letting a member of the public drive a dotcom van.' I feel so stupid - I should have just told them it was me who got it free! :angry: Still haven't learnt that 'sometimes honesty ISN'T the best policy' lesson yet! :biggrin:

In hindsight I realise it wasn't the most clever of things to do, but my main concern was just getting out and home...

If it was me and my car I'd have no problem letting someone help me like that but totally understand how it's different in a Tesco van (only I wasn't thinking about that at the time).

My manager hasn't said whether or not it is gross-misconduct, and I haven't read anywhere that it is a specific act of gross-misconduct, but this week I will have an investigation meeting and it will be passed up beyond his control.

Do you think I should start looking for another job? :s-smilie:

Thoughts from your own experiences in similar roles/management etc. would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Mike.
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't have much experience on this sort of thing, but mike I sure do wish you the best.
Reply 2
You probably might even go to court for this...
Reply 3
Original post by 0lut0
You probably might even go to court for this...

Seriously?! To be convicted of what? :biggrin: Where would they even get the 'evidence' with which to make a conviction? :K:
You could end up being fined, have points or even a ban on your DL. My mum let my dad drive her car when he wasn't insured on it. Not only did he get points, but so did she! This person who helped you was not employed by Tesco, therefore he was not insured to drive the van. This is a 6-8 point offence to start with. You will then also be liable for points/ban as you would be seen as, "Causing or permitting said offence," this is what my mum got points for. I wish you the best of luck, but it might not just be your job you've risked, but your DL too.
Reply 5
Original post by natalie1789
You could end up being fined, have points or even a ban on your DL. My mum let my dad drive her car when he wasn't insured on it. Not only did he get points, but so did she! This person who helped you was not employed by Tesco, therefore he was not insured to drive the van. This is a 6-8 point offence to start with. You will then also be liable for points/ban as you would be seen as, "Causing or permitting said offence," this is what my mum got points for. I wish you the best of luck, but it might not just be your job you've risked, but your DL too.

Shite. Never had any points either. That really will f*ck things up. One thing after another this summer! :s-smilie:

First off, it was a field, which is technically private land? Surely insurance is not always needed if it was private land?

Secondly, where will anyone obtain any evidence to act upon, if all they have is my testimony which may or may not be 100% accurate?

Hmm...
Original post by mikejr
Shite. Never had any points either. That really will f*ck things up. One thing after another this summer! :s-smilie:

First off, it was a field, which is technically private land? Surely insurance is not always needed if it was private land?

Secondly, where will anyone obtain any evidence to act upon, if all they have is my testimony which may or may not be 100% accurate?

Hmm...

Tough one. I think red flags would really go up if you went back on your word now. A huge company like Tesco will not let this pass, as it could then get them into bother with their insurance providers if not reported. I would request a meeting with your line manager and find out where you stand.
Original post by mikejr

Hmm...

You would only make yourself out to be a liar going back on your word, that could lead to loss of trust between you and Tesco which could lead to them wanting your disciplinary going to gross misconduct.
Reply 8
Noo. Be honest, remind them that you actually did a good thing by saving timings and that. Remind them of your good record (although they will already have this in mind) and you are good.
Reply 9
I wasn't talking about going back on my word at all - although of course I will have trouble recalling every detail the same way every time - just in case there were to be any driving convictions, wouldn't there need to be evidence so that I can be convicted accordingly?

Original post by Michae_L
Noo. Be honest, remind them that you actually did a good thing by saving timings and that. Remind them of your good record (although they will already have this in mind) and you are good.

This is basically what I am banking on at the moment. I've asked for an additional meeting with my manager aside from the investigatory ones to discuss potential outcomes... Fingers crossed! I really hope my good record isn't good for nothing, in light of a (very) temporary lapse of (professional/corporate) judgement! :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Is there a camera in the van? If not then send him a text saying: JK just didn't wanna seem cocky that I did it all on my own, hah.
I think he will fall for it!
Right, one thing at a time. From the employment lawyer's perspective, you are being investigated. This has not yet reached a disciplinary stage. You will know later down the line if your job is in jeopardy, though I doubt it. At the investigation meeting, just be honest and explain thoughtfully what happened, the fact that you were blocking the road, you couldn't get yourself out of it, and a good samaritan offered to help you out. Tesco help was on its way but was some time off. You didn't want the customers' deliveries to be late, and you took the offer of help that was offered. It's important that you remained in the vehicle, so say that. Apologise and say that you hadn't thought about the fact that he was not an employee. You had only been thinking that you were in a right pickle and somebody was offering help, and you thought accepting it was probably the best thing to do on balance. Now it's been put to you that you shouldn't have allowed a non employee to drive it, you realise, and of course it would never happen again. No promises, but you'd be amazed what genuine contrition can do at an investigation stage, to make a situation be viewed a lot less seriously by an employer.

As for the criminal thing that someone has worried you with, my husband is a police officer. His view is (a) the police aren't involved and why would they become involved, and (b) in a situation about driving without insurance it is always down to sensible exercise of discretion. In this case, an officer would have to be a real **** to pursue anything given the circumstances. How would anybody even know whether the good samaritan had insurance on other cars? Many have third party insurance on other cars. It is all such a long shot I don't think you should be concerned about this one.
Reply 12
Thanks very much Crumpet1! That has certainly provided some much needed consolation for an incessant worrier! Please pass on my thanks to your husband too :smile:
The advice Crumpet has given is correct. Don't worry you have not committed a crime but Tesco have to investigate as their insurance will not cover members of the public driving their vans and they need to let you know that. Just accept what has happened and i am sure everything will be ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending