Can you guys help me improve my English speech for GCSE please? Watch

LUVKNOWLEDGE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Cancer:
What is the cure for cancer? One of the most puzzling questions in the world as of now. Now before I try my best to answer this question how many people believe there is a cure cancer and we will be able to cure it in the following years? Raise your hands if you think so! Those people who rose their hands are gonna have to wait a bit more years than they anticipated unfortunately.

First of all we must ask ourselves what is cancer? So what is it? Well according to NHS Cancer is a condition where cells in a specific part of the body grow and reproduce uncontrollably. The cancerous cells can invade and destroy surrounding healthy tissue, including organs. But if this is cancer there must be a cure for it surely? Now here is where it becomes a bit more difficult. There are 135 000 known types of cancer in the world and every single one of those cancers is different from each other. Because of this it is almost impossible for there to be one cure as and eye is not similar to a lung so you cannot treat them both with the same treatment even if they are both being affected by cancer. This is a huge problem as I stated there is 135 000 types of cancer known and there may be many more. The second major problem is say scientists were able to cure all types of cancer my eye cancer may be different to your eye cancer as my eye isn't the same as yours obviously and on top of that we may belong to different blood groups which makes it impossible to treat you with the same treatment they treat me as it will not work as our bodies work differently.

Now all hope is not lost because the technology today allows us to detect cancer before it spreads. Scientist in japan have discovered a way to watch cancer cells spread. Even though they are currently testing it on animals the results look very promising and personally I am almost certain this will save countless lives. Also, saying this if you believe you may have cancer you must get yourself checked even if it isn't it is better to be safe than sorry, but if it is your chances of survival will have increased as you detected it early.

Now to conclude the question Is there a cure for cancer is quite difficult to answer as cancer is much more complex than people think it is, but I am almost positive we will be able to cure cancer or at least stop it from spreading before this century comes to an end.
shutupkatherine
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hi! I personally think your speech is fine and you'll get a high mark. however, it might just seem that way because of how it's formatted and typed up but it seems a little short to me? also, to me the conclusion doesn't seem very detailed. even though in a conclusion you're summing up your major points, i think i would still take a little more time to continue to elaborate on it so it doesn't appear too abrupt. i'm also doing my speech soon and mine is quite long in comparison to yours but i'm not sure what your school/teachers have said is the right amount so i wouldn't take my words too personally. hope this helped!
Thunder221
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is this for the speaking exam? If yes, this seems perfect. I managed to get a merit and basically made a few notes before and just put them together during the speech.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What you have so far looks great It definitely seems a little short though, so perhaps you could add something in about current treatments for cancer and/or the impact it has on people's lives. Some statistics could also be good to add if you can find some good relevant ones.
You want to aim to be talking for at least 4 minutes, so that the questions you have to answer can bring you up to the 5 minute minimum length.
LUVKNOWLEDGE
Rep:
?
(Original post by shutupkatherine)
hi! I personally think your speech is fine and you'll get a high mark. however, it might just seem that way because of how it's formatted and typed up but it seems a little short to me? also, to me the conclusion doesn't seem very detailed. even though in a conclusion you're summing up your major points, i think i would still take a little more time to continue to elaborate on it so it doesn't appear too abrupt. i'm also doing my speech soon and mine is quite long in comparison to yours but i'm not sure what your school/teachers have said is the right amount so i wouldn't take my words too personally. hope this helped!
Thanks!
LUVKNOWLEDGE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
What you have so far looks great It definitely seems a little short though, so perhaps you could add something in about current treatments for cancer and/or the impact it has on people's lives. Some statistics could also be good to add if you can find some good relevant ones.
You want to aim to be talking for at least 4 minutes, so that the questions you have to answer can bring you up to the 5 minute minimum length.
Thank you!
LUVKNOWLEDGE
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thunder221)
Is this for the speaking exam? If yes, this seems perfect. I managed to get a merit and basically made a few notes before and just put them together during the speech.
Congrats on the merit and thank you to!
crocodile_ears
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sounds good so far! Picking a complex topic like this will set you up for high marks, and you've used rhetorical questions which is good! However, I'd go into more detail about the cures. Explain how the science behind watching the cancer cells spread works. Talk about chemo and radio therapy and the side effects they have on the body, and why we need new ways to cure cancer. Put in some statistics about how many people die or suffer from cancer per year. That'll make up a new paragraph and then it'll be long enough.

Also, make sure you have an explanation as to why you picked the topic, as this is often a question people ask after.

Good luck!
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LUVKNOWLEDGE)
There are 135 000 known types of cancer in the world and every single one of those cancers is different from each other. Because of this it is almost impossible for there to be one cure as and eye is not similar to a lung so you cannot treat them both with the same treatment even if they are both being affected by cancer.

You started a sentence with "Because".
LUVKNOWLEDGE
Rep:
?
(Original post by ANM775)
You started a sentence with "Because".
Ops xD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (95)
49.22%
No (98)
50.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed