The Student Room Group

How many hours will you be revising and studying per week when you start year 13?

I'm curious cause I literally have no plan yet because I'm not sure as to how many hours I should generally spend for AS revision compared to A2 work and revision.

Scroll to see replies

prioritise A2 cos its new but revise AS in between, i would recommend 1-2 hours per week or every 2 weeks per subject on AS stuff.
None... because I'M OUTTA THERE SUCKERS!

*I know I'm probably a tad too happy to be out of A Levels but honestly... IDGAF.
Original post by devianen
I'm curious cause I literally have no plan yet because I'm not sure as to how many hours I should generally spend for AS revision compared to A2 work and revision.

AS is still relevant just not to the overall grade.

So i'd prioritise atleast 1 hour everyday on AS, but I'd put my focus on learning the A2 stuff early so that i don't flop it when the time comes as it's still pretty new.

So about 2 hours doing A2 everyday as well.

21 hours per week on revision:
7 hours on AS
14 hours on A2

(This is subject to change if my subject teacher's say revising for A2 early is a bad idea.)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Hey sulaimanali thank you very much for your advice I feel that what you're saying about spending 2 hours per week on each subject is an ideal thing to do as A2 must definitely be the priority like you said. If you don't mind me asking what about A2: how many hours should be spent per week on each subject?
Reply 5
Original post by Kierensaddlr
None... because I'M OUTTA THERE SUCKERS!

*I know I'm probably a tad too happy to be out of A Levels but honestly... IDGAF.

Loll....Lucky you :smile:
however i would increase the amount on AS stuff near exam time...
Reply 7
Heard of the 8 hour rule?

8 hours sleep
8 hours work
8 hours anything else

I will probably try use this from the beginning of year 13. Lessons usually take up around 3-4 hours anyway, so I will encourage myself to use the other 4-5 hours to do productive stuff like revision, homework and preparing for admissions assessments.

From easter break or earlier, I will probably start being my revision intensive and spend a bit more time on work.

That being said, I have a reputation of being lazy and my 5 minute breaks that I give myself usually turn into whole week breaks :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by anon157

So i'd prioritise atleast 1 hour everyday on AS, but I'd put my focus on learning the A2 stuff early so that i don't flop it when the time comes as it's still pretty new.

7 hours on AS
14 hours on A2

(This is subject to change if my subject teacher's say revising for A2 early is a bad idea.)

Hey anon this seems like a plan that will work too and thank you very much for sharing. It's definitely important to be quite thorough with A2 stuff early like you said so I'll most likely spend more time on A2.
Original post by Baaah
Heard of the 8-hour rule?

8 hours sleep
8 hours work
8 hours anything else

I will probably try using this from the beginning of year 13. Lessons usually take up around 3-4 hours anyway, so I will encourage myself to use the other 4-5 hours to do productive stuff like revision, homework and preparing for admissions assessments.

From easter break or earlier, I will probably start being my revision intensive and spend a bit more time on work.

That being said, I have a reputation of being lazy and my 5-minute breaks that I give myself usually turn into whole week breaks :colondollar:

Hahahahahahahaha... ha. Eight hours? *grins whilst laughing maniacally*
Reply 10
probably 3 hours a day on weekdays studying A2 and then do 5 hours on saturday doing AS which keeps my sunday free.
Reply 11
Original post by Baaah
Heard of the 8 hour rule?

8 hours sleep
8 hours work
8 hours anything else

I will probably try use this from the beginning of year 13. Lessons usually take up around 3-4 hours anyway, so I will encourage myself to use the other 4-5 hours to do productive stuff like revision, homework and preparing for admissions assessments.

That being said, I have a reputation of being lazy and my 5 minute breaks that I give myself usually turn into whole week breaks :colondollar:

I too am quite lazy and because of that I didn't revise/study to my full potential at AS which I'm defo not repeating again at A2. That being said thank you for telling me what your plan is and yes I too will defo make revision intensive nearer the exam time. :^_^:
Reply 12
Original post by Reiner
probably 3 hours a day on weekdays studying A2 and then do 5 hours on saturday doing AS which keeps my sunday free.

Wow that takes a lot of dedication to spend 3 hours for A2 on each weekday (I would do that but I can't concentrate for too long :dong:). I would love to keep my Sundays free but my tuitions tend to come on Sundays.
Reply 13
Wow that takes a lot of dedication to spend 3 hours for A2 on each weekday (I would do that but I can't concentrate for too long :dong:). I would love to keep my Sundays free but my tuitions tend to come on Sundays.

i have to do it because im not taking an chances as i need A*A*A for my course at uni. My schools also gonna make us take mocks every 2 weeks to bump up our predicted grades so i kinda have to. I too had the same problem of not concentrating but you could solve this by going to the library alone which limits distractions.
Reply 14
Is anyone doing A Level Edexcel Business if so how are you guys gonna revise theme 3 and theme 4 for the synoptic papers. The thing is for AS I got an A but I hardly did intense revision you could say I read over my notes and practiced few past papers especially concentrating on writing in context and A04 which was a week before the the theme 1 exam and theme 2 exam but then throughout AS I got high Bs and As. However I know if I do this for A2 it would make me fail because theme 3 & 4 are definitely more content heavy and then you've got to memorise all those extra facts for those long synoptic questions.
Reply 15
Original post by Reiner
i have to do it because im not taking an chances as i need A*A*A for my course at uni. My schools also gonna make us take mocks every 2 weeks to bump up our predicted grades so i kinda have to. I too had the same problem of not concentrating but you could solve this by going to the library alone which limits distractions.

You must be really smart if you don't mind me asking what course are you planning to do at Uni. Yeah our school is planning to record our performance for the first six weeks of A2 and then predict our grades based on our grades achieved, homework and attitude in lessons in those first 6 weeks.
Reply 16
Is anyone doing A Level Edexcel Business if so how are you guys gonna revise theme 3 and theme 4 for the synoptic papers. The thing is for AS I got an A but I hardly did intense revision you could say I read over my notes and practiced few past papers especially concentrating on writing in context and A04 which was a week before the the theme 1 exam and theme 2 exam but then throughout AS I got high Bs and As. However I know if I do this for A2 it would make me fail because theme 3 & 4 are definitely more content heavy and then you've got to memorise all those extra facts for those long synoptic questions.
Reply 17
You must be really smart if you don't mind me asking what course are you planning to do at Uni. Yeah our school is planning to record our performance for the first six weeks of A2 and then predict our grades based on our grades achieved, homework and attitude in lessons in those first 6 weeks.

I'm planning to study medicine at Imperial or UCL as i can't really be asked to go out of London. My schools only doing the exams because they gave us a WJEC biology and chemistry paper (which also had some A2 topics embedded in it) for our UCAS exam when our exam board is AQA. Not surprisingly the majority of the year flopped lol.
Was just going to make a thread on this but seen this. I'm going to spend the weekends doing mostly AS revision and focus on A2 in the week
Original post by anon157

7 hours on AS
14 hours on A2

3 hours a night is the minimum study time outside school we are recommended just for A2 and well even more.

Quick Reply

Latest