The Student Room Group

Being Shy

I'm an extremely shy person, I guess I took it after my father... anyways I feel my shyness has ruined some parts of my life like relationships and other stuff

Does anyone feel the same?
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes! I am so shy. On my first day at my new school, I only spoke unless spoken so none of the "popular crowd" like me. I also struggled when asked to do presentations; I wouldn't eat, couldn't sleep, I would cry and shake. It was awful...
Reply 2
I was the same. Slowly worked on this and other issues that come with being shy and insecure.
Original post by S567
I'm an extremely shy person, I guess I took it after my father... anyways I feel my shyness has ruined some parts of my life like relationships and other stuff

There are lots of times I wish I hadn't been so shy.
However I've tried very hard in recent years to come out of my shell, because missed opportunities suck.
So although I still sometimes feel like I'm going to have a panic attack when I talk to someone for the first time, at least I'm talking.
Don't miss out on account of shyness. Every time you challenge it you get stronger and build confidence. It's better to have tried than not.
So best of luck to you xx
Really shy
Reply 5
Original post by chloerebecca1
Yes! I am so shy. On my first day at my new school, I only spoke unless spoken so none of the "popular crowd" like me. I also struggled when asked to do presentations; I wouldn't eat, couldn't sleep, I would cry and shake. It was awful...

Original post by StealingThunder
However I've tried very hard in recent years to come out of my shell, because missed opportunities suck.
So although I still sometimes feel like I'm going to have a panic attack when I talk to someone for the first time, at least I'm talking.
Don't miss out on account of shyness. Every time you challenge it you get stronger and build confidence. It's better to have tried than not.

It sounds more like anxiety then just being shy. It takes a lot of time, effort and a lot of support to work on it.
I'm very shy and it makes other people feel uncomfortable around me. Especially when I do pair work and the person I am working with feels awkward as communication isn't my forte.
Reply 7
I didn't go to a single event in Freshers' and to this day I don't know the name of a single person who was in my first year flat out of the dozen or so. So I guess I'm pretty shy.
Reply 8

Thank you x
Original post by Kathy89
It sounds more like anxiety then just being shy. It takes a lot of time, effort and a lot of support to work on it.

Shyness is the quality of being nervous or timid or uncomfortable in company of other people. Anxiety and shyness need not be mutually exclusive.
Personally my anxiety is about crowded spaces and I do get panic attacks.
However I don't have panic attacks talking to people, but from time to time it feels similar to the beginning of one, but it's not quite the same thing. Sorry I wasn't explicitly clear about that. xx
Shyness is completely crippling and usually goes hand in hand with low self-confidence. It is very difficult to overcome and some will have more success than others in beating it.:dontknow: I'm painfully shy, always have been, but you do get better with age and experience. I can hold a conversation now better than I could in my teens, certainly.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by S567

Shyness is the quality of being nervous or timid or uncomfortable in company of other people. Anxiety and shyness need not be mutually exclusive.
Personally my anxiety is about crowded spaces and I do get panic attacks.
However I don't have panic attacks talking to people, but from time to time it feels similar to the beginning of one, but it's not quite the same thing. Sorry I wasn't explicitly clear about that. xx

Shyness and anxiety often come together, although there are people who have anxiety but they are not shy and shy people who have no anxiety.
Anxiety can come in different situations and in different ways.
There is difference between feeling uncomfortable or feeling like having an anxiety attack.

Anxiety require harder work and a lot more support from nearby people. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being snobish, it is not what I meant. I wanted to make my point clear because it is important point. Treating anxiety like just being shy is wrong, it may make one just pushing him(her)self into situations and potentially being hurt or making things worse. Overcoming anxiety requires much more strength and much more deep work. Feeling uncomfortable won't hurt you, having any panic/anxiety attack takes much longer to recover. Feeling uncomfortable is like getting into an overcrowded metro wagon, while anxiety is more like being underwater, if you hold yourself too long underwater you can suffocate.
Original post by Kathy89
Shyness and anxiety often come together, although there are people who have anxiety but they are not shy and shy people who have no anxiety.
Anxiety can come in different situations and in different ways.
There is difference between feeling uncomfortable or feeling like having an anxiety attack.

Anxiety require harder work and a lot more support from nearby people. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being snobish, it is not what I meant. I wanted to make my point clear because it is important point. Treating anxiety like just being shy is wrong, it may make one just pushing him(her)self into situations and potentially being hurt or making things worse. Overcoming anxiety requires much more strength and much more deep work. Feeling uncomfortable won't hurt you, having any panic/anxiety attack takes much longer to recover. Feeling uncomfortable is like getting into an overcrowded metro wagon, while anxiety is more like being underwater, if you hold yourself too long underwater you can suffocate.

Yes that's true. It's definitely dangerous to leave anxiety untreated. (And a lot of people do seem to confuse them, or try to minimise their anxiety by attributing it to shyness.)
I was just saying that my anxiety is really just crowded spaces but from time to time speaking to people was almost as difficult as the beginning of a panic attack, but not quite the same. It's that whole dry mouth, racing heart thing, but none of the hyperventilating or cold sweat etc..
But yes, you made a very important point, I was just saying that I don't have social anxiety, I am shy, and that I have tackled this by doing the things that make me uncomfortable.
On the whole I agree with you, just that in my case it is shyness xxx
Hi S567

If you are shy this does not make you any less of a person. I was quite a shy person as a child and through secondary school. But as I've started to get older I have become more confident in myself. Go out and face the world like you don't give a s**t what anybody thinks about you. Hold your head up as you walk along the streets, look up at the chimney pots and not down at the pavement.

Do you like to travel? I have found that going away solo on adventures is a great way to develop confidence. Just checking in for a fly and getting on the plane by yourself will give you a confidence boost. Once you get to your destination you can start to meet other travellers many who may also be travelling solo and looking for company. Get chatting to these people and see how it goes and remember if it doesn't go very well then you will more than likely never see them again anyway.
Reply 15
Original post by rescueme
Hi S567

If you are shy this does not make you any less of a person. I was quite a shy person as a child and through secondary school. But as I've started to get older I have become more confident in myself. Go out and face the world like you don't give a s**t what anybody thinks about you. Hold your head up as you walk along the streets, look up at the chimney pots and not down at the pavement.

Do you like to travel? I have found that going away solo on adventures is a great way to develop confidence. Just checking in for a fly and getting on the plane by yourself will give you a confidence boost. Once you get to your destination you can start to meet other travellers many who may also be travelling solo and looking for company. Get chatting to these people and see how it goes and remember if it doesn't go very well then you will more than likely never see them again anyway.

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by S567
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it :smile:

You are very welcome. One more thing which I forgot to mention, when you are talking with other people be sure to make eye contact, I think this also helps with confidence. A smile can also be very effective.

Go out there armed with smiles and eye contact!

Wishing you all the best.
I hope this helps:

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller. For example, if you are on holiday, you go there to experience and observe the attraction, you're not going to get anxious doing that are you?

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, accept yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you confident? What makes you proud? Do you have a skill you are good at? Do things like cooking, driving, learning that increases your confidence daily.

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, what they will get up to, what they got up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about the weather or did you see that sports game? Just mingle with them,

compliment them, say "I like your jacket". If you know they went on a holiday or somewhere, ask them about it etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

8) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, approachable, interested, relaxed.

9) Look outside!
Reply 18
Original post by Analyst89
I hope this helps:

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller. For example, if you are on holiday, you go there to experience and observe the attraction, you're not going to get anxious doing that are you?

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, accept yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you confident? What makes you proud? Do you have a skill you are good at? Do things like cooking, driving, learning that increases your confidence daily.

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, what they will get up to, what they got up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about the weather or did you see that sports game? Just mingle with them,

compliment them, say "I like your jacket". If you know they went on a holiday or somewhere, ask them about it etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

8) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, approachable, interested, relaxed.

9) Look outside!

Thank you, I will adopt these things in my life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending