The Student Room Group

What is better to do a fourth subject or an EPQ

I am going sixth form however I am not sure whether to do a fourth subject or an epq for a top university. Also if I do, do an epq should I do it on computer science or physics, I want to take maths at uni. Finally, could someone explain what an epq is as I am not sure exactly what it is I just know it is an alternate option to a fourth subject and it is done individually
Original post by Sonicalireza
I am going sixth form however I am not sure whether to do a fourth subject or an epq for a top university. Also if I do, do an epq should I do it on computer science or physics, I want to take maths at uni. Finally, could someone explain what an epq is as I am not sure exactly what it is I just know it is an alternate option to a fourth subject and it is done individually

An epq is usually more valued than an AS, because more likely than not you'll drop a potential fourth subject anyway. The epq is basically either a a very large essay consisting of LOTS of research and analysing and reflecting, or an artefact with a smaller essay. It can be done on absolutely anything you choose, but have an idea of what you want to do it on, don't just do it for the sake of it, do it on something you enjoy. I got an A in my epq, but you have to put a lot of work in. Good luck!
Go for the EPQ.

1) It teaches you independent research skills, which are incredibly important at university, especially in later years where they count most

2) Allows you to expand your horizon beyond the topics covered in A levels

3) There's a reason why more universities will drop your requirements by a grade if you have an EPQ (even an unrelated one) compared to if you have a 4th A level

For the subject, I would go for Computer Science as it's less likely to end up being a literature review. You can program, or create algorithms, etc. and it will be more generally relevant than a physics based project will be.

For the exact topic, you'll have to have a look around as CompSci isn't my area of expertise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending