Chickennuggets2
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Could someone tell me what a-level biology is like and if it has lots of coursework in it. I'd love to know your opinion on it as well and what you do with it
Eulogy
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Biology has no coursework, but it has a practical endorsement, which is pretty easy and isn't graded / doesn't count to your grade. It's just a pass/fail to show if you can do experiments and record results properly with ICT etc.
_NMcC_
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Huge amount of material. A level Biology was always the one science I struggled with simply because of the shear amount of work involved in learning the facts, definitions and conceptual stuff.

The human biology stuff is rough, if you ace that, you should consider medicine. I found genetics much more logical and easier tbh. Ecology and Biochemistry were ok as well.

Work hard and be prepared to break out the coffee at 11pm. That is my best advice!
username1397980
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Biology has no coursework. The content will vary slightly depending on your exam board. I did ocr A and we had biochemistry and cellular biology, animal biology, human biology and plant biology as well as disease, conservation, evolution and natural selection. I preferred the biochemistry, human biology and disease sections but opinion varies between people depending on personal preferences. My main advice is to make sure you know the specification well and don't waste time learning unnecessary information as there is already a lot of content to cover. Good luck!
Chickennuggets2
Rep:
(Original post by dogdogdog)
Biology has no coursework. The content will vary slightly depending on your exam board. I did ocr A and we had biochemistry and cellular biology, animal biology, human biology and plant biology as well as disease, conservation, evolution and natural selection. I preferred the biochemistry, human biology and disease sections but opinion varies between people depending on personal preferences. My main advice is to make sure you know the specification well and don't waste time learning unnecessary information as there is already a lot of content to cover. Good luck!
I was thinking of doing it with 2 art based subjects but not sure if it's too much work as art had tons of coursework
Chickennuggets2
Rep:
(Original post by _NMcC_)
Huge amount of material. A level Biology was always the one science I struggled with simply because of the shear amount of work involved in learning the facts, definitions and conceptual stuff.

The human biology stuff is rough, if you ace that, you should consider medicine. I found genetics much more logical and easier tbh. Ecology and Biochemistry were ok as well.

Work hard and be prepared to break out the coffee at 11pm. That is my best advice!
How is it different to GCSE?
_NMcC_
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Chickennuggets2)
How is it different to GCSE?
Much, much more material to learn. AQA have a practical element. There is a Synoptic essay in the A2 exam that can either be fun or terrible depending on if you have memorised both years worth of work or not. 4 Main modules if you do the standard Biology course. There is another separate 'Human Biology' A level which is also available.

Most of the people I knew who got A*s in school had tutoring.

I got through it by creating a mind-palace and doing loads of past paper questions. Actually, the method of loci is quite fun if you dedicate enough time to it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads