Annoying new rules preventing me from starting uni this year, need advice

Watch
adz95
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So apparently since i already spent some time at college, SFE wont pay for my first year in uni, now i am stuck because i got the news last minute and have no way of paying £10K tuition fees out of pocket, this rule only started in 2015 so no body was able to warn me while i was in college. Do i have any other alternative? i already tried contacting the uni to see if i can do the course part time and they said i can't.
Tro11
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Take time out, save up and then decide if you want to go. I can guarantee that you're probably going to university for all the wrong reasons and it'll probably end up being a waste of time and money in the long-run.
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tro11)
Take time out, save up and then decide if you want to go. I can guarantee that you're probably going to university for all the wrong reasons and it'll probably end up being a waste of time and money in the long-run.
I think you've replied to the wrong post.
Tro11
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by markova21)
I think you've replied to the wrong post.
No I haven't. OP doesn't have the cash for uni. So I said they should take time out to save up, and in the meantime decide if university is really worth it. If they have a revelation and realise it's a waste of time then they'll have zero debt and an extra 10k in hand. Everybody and their dog goes to university these days because it's so easy, OP has a chance to have a think about whether it will actually be of benefit to their future now, which most don't get/do.
username1765117
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry but what's preventing you from taking out a student loan?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by adz95)
So apparently since i already spent some time at college, SFE wont pay for my first year in uni, now i am stuck because i got the news last minute and have no way of paying £10K tuition fees out of pocket, this rule only started in 2015 so no body was able to warn me while i was in college. Do i have any other alternative? i already tried contacting the uni to see if i can do the course part time and they said i can't.
What new rule? College funding has nothing to do with uni funding.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tro11)
No I haven't. OP doesn't have the cash for uni. So I said they should take time out to save up, and in the meantime decide if university is really worth it. If they have a revelation and realise it's a waste of time then they'll have zero debt and an extra 10k in hand. Everybody and their dog goes to university these days because it's so easy, OP has a chance to have a think about whether it will actually be of benefit to their future now, which most don't get/do.
Ah OK I see what you mean. Sorry.
adz95
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheTree0fDeath)
Sorry but what's preventing you from taking out a student loan?
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
What new rule? College funding has nothing to do with uni funding.
Before 2015, if you already took out a loan for college they would pay for the first two years of Uni and you had to pay for the last year. Now they switched it around and you have to pay for the first year.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by adz95)
Before 2015, if you already took out a loan for college they would pay for the first two years of Uni and you had to pay for the last year. Now they switched it around and you have to pay for the first year.
Are you talking about a Higher Education loan [ like for an HND] with the Student Loans Company for your college course?
adz95
Rep:
?
Are you talking about a Higher Education loan [ like for an HND] with the Student Loans Company for your college course?
Yeah
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by adz95)
Do you have a link please? I really don't understand what you're on about.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you have a link please? I really don't understand what you're on about.
OP means that SFE will pay for years 2 and 3 only and they will have to pay for the first year themselves, if they want to do a course from the first year at uni instead of going into the second year. It's the same with my son.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
OP means that they will pay for years 2 and 3 only and they will have to pay for the first year themselves, if they want to do a course from the first year at uni instead of going into the second year. It's the same with my son.
It's always been like that. Not new like the OP has said.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's always been like that. Not new like the OP has said.
Oh I see. Well I don't know then.
adz95
Rep:
?
Oh I see. Well I don't know then.
are there other ways to get loans?
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by adz95)
I heard on here of a company called Future Finance. Specifically for students. But I have no idea how reputable or expensive taking out a loan with them would be.
Algorithm4
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by adz95)
Can you go and see your bank manager and explain your situation and apply for loan? Alternatively do you have anyone in your family who you can lend you the money?
adz95
Rep:
?
I heard on here of a company called Future Finance. Specifically for students. But I have no idea how reputable or expensive taking out a loan with them would be.
Alright, i guess they are my only option
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by adz95)
Alright, i guess they are my only option
Could you not complete the rest of your degree to its final conclusion in the same subject you have already studied for 2 years? Your funding will be in place for the last two years. Then once you get your degree you will be able to apply for a post graduate qualification in the subject you want. For which you will be able to apply for funding for it.
adz95
Rep:
?
Could you not complete the rest of your degree to its final conclusion in the same subject you have already studied for 2 years? Your funding will be in place for the last two years. Then once you get your degree you will be able to apply for a post graduate qualification in the subject you want. For which you will be able to apply for funding for it.
Because i decided i wanted to study something new. My HND was in graphic design, i was already really good at it before i did the HND, so good that i didn't even enjoy the course because i already knew everything. So i don't really want to spend another 2 years "studying" it. I want to study software development now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
64.94%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.29%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.3%

Watched Threads