My Problem with Christianty Watch

day 481516
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I mentioned in another thread I would start a thread going through my issues with Christianity so here it is. Let me start off by stating I would consider myself still a Christian - a liberal/cynical/doubting Christian.

Here's a brief background. I grew up in a Christian family. Throughout my childhood, my parents went to their own churches. My Mum attended and still attends the Two by Twos church and my Dad attended more charismatic, Pentecostal churches. My parents were and still are loving but back then they were so conservative and somewhat strict.

I wasn't allowed:
To watch TV.
To listen to music (except classical and some but not all Christian music)
My sisters weren't allowed to wear make up or wear 'immodest clothing'.
Sex was portrayed something really bad. It was considered to be so bad that we wouldn't even mention it by name.
Alcohol was considered to be evil and in no circumstances was it to be drank

I feel a bit bad about what I've just written because it feels like I'm throwing my parents under the bus but it's a fact I was brought up like that.

So, anyway, I felt the odd one out growing up and rebelled in my pre-teens I briefly rebelled and stopped being a Christian. But that didn't last long. In my teens and early and mid twenties I believed in Christianity. It wasn't until about 4 years ago I began really doubting. But my disbelief really become even stronger in the last year and still remains this very day.

I think one reason why my disbelief became stronger is that I'm an aspiring novelist and I'm currently writing a book about someone turning away from their faith. Writing this has caused to go down the journey of disbelief with my main character and I think the more I write the most I have immerse myself with unbelief. Having said all that my disbelieving didn't start with writing this novel.

As I said it really started 4 years ago when I used to (and still do) listen to a podcast called Unbelievable? For those who don't know Unbelievable? is a podcast that has debates between Christians and non-Christians. Despite being presented and produced by a Christian radio station it's very fair to all involved in the debate and in most cases the presenter is very impartial.

One particular guest has played his part in me questioning my faith and that guest is the former Christian, now agnostic atheist bible scholar, Bart Ehrman. He's appeared quite a lot on the show debating and being interviewed. From listening to him I've felt like I've got to know him and his reasons why for not believing. At first I found what he had to say about Jesus, the Apostles and the Bible hard to stomach because I was so attached to Christianity. But he seemed sincere and had done plenty of research on the subjects he was talking about. Some Christians accuse him of being out to destroy Christianity but I didn't and still don't see that. I see someone who values truth and I like that because I value it also. I became a Christian because I thought Christianity was true and it seems pretty pointless to continue if it isn't. There seems to this fear among Christians who seem question the Bible and view scripture as not being the word of God.

Now don't get me wrong I still believe in God and Jesus but I can't see the Bible as being the word of God. I like the Bible and think it's a remarkable work of literature but imo it's just a book written by man. Now I think it's likely some of the writers have come to some correct conclusion regarding God, but I don't think we can say that about everything in the Bible.

I started to came to this conclusion after listening to Bart Ehrman talk about the contradictions in 1 Samuel 21:1 and Mark 2:26. I had never heard of such a thing before and looked it up and found he was correct. 1 Samuel 21:1 says the high priest is Ahimelek and Mark 2:26 say it's Abiathar. It was kinda scary to see such a contradiction for the first time because I thought the Bible was the perfectly written word of God.

As I began reading more I noticed things that weren't quite right with scripture. I remember once reading through the Psalms and thinking it couldn't of been written by God because it was embedded in the culture and age of what it written in. Sure some of the chapters are an encouragement (like Psalm 23) and the poetry is wonderfully written but I now think the views expressed in them are that of a man and in how he views the world and God.

Another thing that's recently come to my mind is how the Bible deals with slavery. Now I'm not going to say that the Bible endorses the transatlantic slave trade nor human trafficking today, but the fact that there's no clear expression of how wrong slavery is is quite telling. I know Christians say that when scripture tells us to love on another it's a way telling us slavery is wrong because having a slave isn't very loving. Point taken but I find it interesting how in Ephesians 6:5 it says, "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ". I remember hearing historian Tom Holland talking about this, he said that the Apostle Paul would have never told slaves to rebel because the idea that they would be free would be inconceivable to Paul, because the Roman Empire was so strong in his lifetime. I think he's right but I think this theory also proves that God wasn't writing the Bible through Paul, because if he was then why didn't Paul differentiate between all the types of slavery that would come. Someone might say that I'm being ridiculous because how could a man in that time foresee the transatlantic slave trade and human trafficking. A man couldn't, but if an all knowing God was telling him what to write, he could simple tell the man about what was going to come.

Something else that has caused my view of scripture to change has been manuscripts not all agreeing with each other. There's several places in most Bibles where you'll find footnotes stating certain verses aren't in all manuscripts. Most modern translations have completely removed most of these verses. I remember there was this post that went viral on social media a few years back that claimed the NIV had removed many verses. Really many Christians showed a great ignorance as to what went into the translating of scripture. I would never say all Christians are stupid but many of the posts by Christians regarding this showed that they didn't really know what goes into creating a Bible. Anyway, all the verses that are taken out are small verses but manuscript disagreement isn't just limited to just small verses. There's the end of the Gospel of Mark but even more significant is John 7:53–8:11. If you know your Bible you'll know it's the story of the woman caught in adultery. I love that story and the message it entails but that along with other places were manuscripts don't agree I consider to not be trust worthy.

I think I'll stop there with the things in scripture that I don't trust. I think I've written enough on this but I will briefly mention that having read the gospels for myself I must say what Jesus said regarding the end times doesn't fit with many of the teachings by Christians on this issue. Also, I've recently come to the conclusion that homosexuality isn't a sin because from what I've learnt people don't chose their sexuality, people are born with it. I want to learn more on the science of how we have different sexuality's. But I think Lady Gaga was right when she sang we were born that way.

I expressed these views about the Bible on another forum and I was accused of cherry picking verses but I don't think I am. I like the story of the woman caught in adultery. I like how mercy is shown and hypocrisy is exposed but I don't think it actually happened due what is said in the manuscripts. For me if logic and reason doesn't justify sections of the Bible I won't accept it. To some this may sound a bit contradictory but I do believe in the supernatural because I've heard trustworthy accounts of supernatural things happening, so I won't disregard supernatural happenings in scripture. If the body of Jesus is found then I will give up Christianity and probably become agnostic but until that day I'll have some sort of Christian faith.

But at the end of the day I think the Bible was a product of it's times. I don't hate it or judge it unfairly. I think we should look at history within it's context. Some people say Churchill was a racist and anti-Semitic - I even remember reading some people on a site saying that he was as bad as Hitler. I agree with the historians who say we're unfairly judging him because such attitudes were very common back then. I think the same can be said about the Bible. I don't think the Bible is immoral, it's just a product of it's time.

Speaking of morals I think many of the moral teachings in scripture are good. I'm a bit suspicious that people in my old church think I'm no longer a Christian because I want to live a life of 'sin'. That's not the case, I'm not perfect and I'm trying to do right but I think many of the teaching like forgiving one another, not going after revenge, showing grace and mercy, staying faithful within a relationship are good things to practise. I love the words in 1 Corinthians 13 on love: love is patient, love is kind, love doesn't envy, love doesn't boast, love isn't proud, love doesn't keep record of wrongs, love isn't glad when bad things happen but is happy when good takes place, love always protects and trusts and hopes and perseveres. Love never fails. Faith, hope and love will remain. But the greatest of these is love. (sort of my own translation :wink2:). Sure there's laws that to me seem really wrong like a raped woman marrying her raspiest, commands of genocides, stoning of rebellious children and homosexuals. But as I said I think it's a product of it's time and just because there's some bad commandments doesn't mean everything is bad.

I don't go to church at the moment. The last time I went was almost two years go. I just don't know about going to church again. I miss the community but I struggle with church. Surely I can't be the only one who views the Bible like this. I know of quite a number of people in America are more progressive in their faith but not sure about the UK. I don't know of any communities in my area. Since leaving my church I feel somewhat isolated since pretty much all my friends were apart of it. I'm still contact with two friends (who are in the church) and sometimes we meet up (one knows about my doubts and the other doesn't). But it would be nice to meet people with similar views like mine but I'm not sure if there's any in my area.

I sometimes feel not Christian enough to be a Christian and not atheist or agnostic enough to be atheist or agnostic. Really when I think about it, the teachings I experienced when growing up and still in my previous church regarding evangelism have had some sort psychological effect on me. In church I would hear things like the world hates us and be not apart of the world. I would be made to feel guilty for not evangelising but I didn't evangelise due to being scared of non believers. I thought of non-believers as people who were out to get me. At college and work I didn't let anyone get too close me if they weren't believers. It wasn't until recently that I started to see that people are people no matter what they believe. I hate how many Christian view non believers not as people but as potential converts. Not saying this applies to every Christian but I know some who are only friends with non Christians so they can convert them. For me that's a bit like someone who marries only for money or sex. You can't be a good friend if you have some sort of hidden agenda!

Finally I'll end this with hell. I remember my old Pastor once saying it doesn't matter if you're a good person, you'll still go to hell if you don't believe in Jesus. I don't know if I can accept that. I like the idea that God is merciful enough to accept people who tried to do good. Sure none of us are perfect but I think we try to do our best. I sometimes freak out wonder if I'll be going to hell for having my views.

Anyway that's my problem with Christianity. Thank you for reading. I thought it would be long and I was right, and it could been even longer. I don't claim to know everything and some of my conclusions might be wrong but it's what I have at the moment.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! Liberal Roman Catholic here and I feel exactly as you do on many of the issues you've raised (though I've had nothing like the very strict upbringing you've had :eek: ).

I don't think the Bible is the perfect word of God, or indeed anything to do with God. I think it was written by ordinary people trying to make sense of what they'd been told about God, and what they saw of the world around them. A lot of the Bible makes no sense to me whatsoever tbh :erm: So I go with the bits that I can make sense of, and don't pay much heed to other bits. I guess I'm what Catholics call a "cafeteria" Catholic in that regard It gets me into trouble sometimes... :ninja: But I really can't believe stuff just because I'm told I should. Maybe one day I'll be able to believe more of the Bible or all of it; maybe I won't. That's something I can live with :yes: I personally think being able to cherry-pick and admit that some things don't make much sense to you, is a healthier approach than blindly believing everything in the Bible and giving parrot-learned, nonsensical explanations to non-theists (or even fellow believers) about it...

I agree also with your views about Hell. Roman Catholicism holds belief in Purgatory, which is a waiting/cleansing room before people get to Heaven. I believe in Purgatory and like to think that's where most people would end up. Again, I may be wrong but I can only believe what makes sense to me :moon:

In Roman Catholicism, homosexuality isn't a sin but homosexual sex is. I don't personally agree with that logic at all but I do see why churches (Church of England included) preach and teach that.

Just wanted to reassure you you're not the only person who feels like this! :hugs:

:jebus:
uPT0N
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not going to lie, i haven't read all of your thread, just the start in which you listed a few reasons for disliking Christianity. I would just like to say that to me, it sounds like you are arguing why you dislike your parents' ways of parenting.

I was born into a christian family (I am myself a christian for the record) and I was always allowed to watch what I wanted on TV, listen to anything i wanted to, we drank wine at communion and my family would regularly have wine at our pastors house. Heck, I remember our pastor preaching about the importance of unity within a marriage, and how sex is one of the best ways to show that.

To refer back to what I said earlier, I really don't think that your reasons for 'disliking Christianity' is 'christianity's' fault, more your parents.
calluhm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by uPT0N)
I'm not going to lie, i haven't read all of your thread, just the start in which you listed a few reasons for disliking Christianity. I would just like to say that to me, it sounds like you are arguing why you dislike your parents' ways of parenting.

I was born into a christian family (I am myself a christian for the record) and I was always allowed to watch what I wanted on TV, listen to anything i wanted to, we drank wine at communion and my family would regularly have wine at our pastors house. Heck, I remember our pastor preaching about the importance of unity within a marriage, and how sex is one of the best ways to show that.

To refer back to what I said earlier, I really don't think that your reasons for 'disliking Christianity' is 'christianity's' fault, more your parents.
Agreed, I was raised as a Catholic and my parents couldn't give a flying **** about all the things in that big list. We also came from a large irish catholic background and all of my family have the same view points... I think it comes down to the person in this case.
flabi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm a Christian and I have the same sorts of doubts that you do, the whole topic is difficult and I know that faith isn't meant to be easy but I didn't think it was meant to be this hard...
Dysf(x)al
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This isn't really about Christianity - it's about parenting. But religion isn't a valid reason for excessively strict (possibly damaging) parenting.

(Original post by day 481516)
I sometimes feel not Christian enough to be a Christian and not atheist or agnostic enough to be atheist or agnostic.
You don't have to feel the need to fit into some categories that people created. Choose what you believe in based on what you really think, not by the definition of a few labels.
Racoon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I mentioned in another thread I would start a thread going through my issues with Christianity so here it is. Let me start off by stating I would consider myself still a Christian - a liberal/cynical/doubting Christian.

Here's a brief background. I grew up in a Christian family. Throughout my childhood, my parents went to their own churches. My Mum attended and still attends the Two by Twos church and my Dad attended more charismatic, Pentecostal churches. My parents were and still are loving but back then they were so conservative and somewhat strict.

I wasn't allowed:
To watch TV.
To listen to music (except classical and some but not all Christian music)
My sisters weren't allowed to wear make up or wear 'immodest clothing'.
Sex was portrayed something really bad. It was considered to be so bad that we wouldn't even mention it by name.
Alcohol was considered to be evil and in no circumstances was it to be drank

I feel a bit bad about what I've just written because it feels like I'm throwing my parents under the bus but it's a fact I was brought up like that.

So, anyway, I felt the odd one out growing up and rebelled in my pre-teens I briefly rebelled and stopped being a Christian. But that didn't last long. In my teens and early and mid twenties I believed in Christianity. It wasn't until about 4 years ago I began really doubting. But my disbelief really become even stronger in the last year and still remains this very day.

I think one reason why my disbelief became stronger is that I'm an aspiring novelist and I'm currently writing a book about someone turning away from their faith. Writing this has caused to go down the journey of disbelief with my main character and I think the more I write the most I have immerse myself with unbelief. Having said all that my disbelieving didn't start with writing this novel.

As I said it really started 4 years ago when I used to (and still do) listen to a podcast called Unbelievable? For those who don't know Unbelievable? is a podcast that has debates between Christians and non-Christians. Despite being presented and produced by a Christian radio station it's very fair to all involved in the debate and in most cases the presenter is very impartial.

One particular guest has played his part in me questioning my faith and that guest is the former Christian, now agnostic atheist bible scholar, Bart Ehrman. He's appeared quite a lot on the show debating and being interviewed. From listening to him I've felt like I've got to know him and his reasons why for not believing. At first I found what he had to say about Jesus, the Apostles and the Bible hard to stomach because I was so attached to Christianity. But he seemed sincere and had done plenty of research on the subjects he was talking about. Some Christians accuse him of being out to destroy Christianity but I didn't and still don't see that. I see someone who values truth and I like that because I value it also. I became a Christian because I thought Christianity was true and it seems pretty pointless to continue if it isn't. There seems to this fear among Christians who seem question the Bible and view scripture as not being the word of God.

Now don't get me wrong I still believe in God and Jesus but I can't see the Bible as being the word of God. I like the Bible and think it's a remarkable work of literature but imo it's just a book written by man. Now I think it's likely some of the writers have come to some correct conclusion regarding God, but I don't think we can say that about everything in the Bible.

I started to came to this conclusion after listening to Bart Ehrman talk about the contradictions in 1 Samuel 21:1 and Mark 2:26. I had never heard of such a thing before and looked it up and found he was correct. 1 Samuel 21:1 says the high priest is Ahimelek and Mark 2:26 say it's Abiathar. It was kinda scary to see such a contradiction for the first time because I thought the Bible was the perfectly written word of God.

As I began reading more I noticed things that weren't quite right with scripture. I remember once reading through the Psalms and thinking it couldn't of been written by God because it was embedded in the culture and age of what it written in. Sure some of the chapters are an encouragement (like Psalm 23) and the poetry is wonderfully written but I now think the views expressed in them are that of a man and in how he views the world and God.

Another thing that's recently come to my mind is how the Bible deals with slavery. Now I'm not going to say that the Bible endorses the transatlantic slave trade nor human trafficking today, but the fact that there's no clear expression of how wrong slavery is is quite telling. I know Christians say that when scripture tells us to love on another it's a way telling us slavery is wrong because having a slave isn't very loving. Point taken but I find it interesting how in Ephesians 6:5 it says, "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ". I remember hearing historian Tom Holland talking about this, he said that the Apostle Paul would have never told slaves to rebel because the idea that they would be free would be inconceivable to Paul, because the Roman Empire was so strong in his lifetime. I think he's right but I think this theory also proves that God wasn't writing the Bible through Paul, because if he was then why didn't Paul differentiate between all the types of slavery that would come. Someone might say that I'm being ridiculous because how could a man in that time foresee the transatlantic slave trade and human trafficking. A man couldn't, but if an all knowing God was telling him what to write, he could simple tell the man about what was going to come.

Something else that has caused my view of scripture to change has been manuscripts not all agreeing with each other. There's several places in most Bibles where you'll find footnotes stating certain verses aren't in all manuscripts. Most modern translations have completely removed most of these verses. I remember there was this post that went viral on social media a few years back that claimed the NIV had removed many verses. Really many Christians showed a great ignorance as to what went into the translating of scripture. I would never say all Christians are stupid but many of the posts by Christians regarding this showed that they didn't really know what goes into creating a Bible. Anyway, all the verses that are taken out are small verses but manuscript disagreement isn't just limited to just small verses. There's the end of the Gospel of Mark but even more significant is John 7:53–8:11. If you know your Bible you'll know it's the story of the woman caught in adultery. I love that story and the message it entails but that along with other places were manuscripts don't agree I consider to not be trust worthy.

I think I'll stop there with the things in scripture that I don't trust. I think I've written enough on this but I will briefly mention that having read the gospels for myself I must say what Jesus said regarding the end times doesn't fit with many of the teachings by Christians on this issue. Also, I've recently come to the conclusion that homosexuality isn't a sin because from what I've learnt people don't chose their sexuality, people are born with it. I want to learn more on the science of how we have different sexuality's. But I think Lady Gaga was right when she sang we were born that way.

I expressed these views about the Bible on another forum and I was accused of cherry picking verses but I don't think I am. I like the story of the woman caught in adultery. I like how mercy is shown and hypocrisy is exposed but I don't think it actually happened due what is said in the manuscripts. For me if logic and reason doesn't justify sections of the Bible I won't accept it. To some this may sound a bit contradictory but I do believe in the supernatural because I've heard trustworthy accounts of supernatural things happening, so I won't disregard supernatural happenings in scripture. If the body of Jesus is found then I will give up Christianity and probably become agnostic but until that day I'll have some sort of Christian faith.

But at the end of the day I think the Bible was a product of it's times. I don't hate it or judge it unfairly. I think we should look at history within it's context. Some people say Churchill was a racist and anti-Semitic - I even remember reading some people on a site saying that he was as bad as Hitler. I agree with the historians who say we're unfairly judging him because such attitudes were very common back then. I think the same can be said about the Bible. I don't think the Bible is immoral, it's just a product of it's time.

Speaking of morals I think many of the moral teachings in scripture are good. I'm a bit suspicious that people in my old church think I'm no longer a Christian because I want to live a life of 'sin'. That's not the case, I'm not perfect and I'm trying to do right but I think many of the teaching like forgiving one another, not going after revenge, showing grace and mercy, staying faithful within a relationship are good things to practise. I love the words in 1 Corinthians 13 on love: love is patient, love is kind, love doesn't envy, love doesn't boast, love isn't proud, love doesn't keep record of wrongs, love isn't glad when bad things happen but is happy when good takes place, love always protects and trusts and hopes and perseveres. Love never fails. Faith, hope and love will remain. But the greatest of these is love. (sort of my own translation :wink2:). Sure there's laws that to me seem really wrong like a raped woman marrying her raspiest, commands of genocides, stoning of rebellious children and homosexuals. But as I said I think it's a product of it's time and just because there's some bad commandments doesn't mean everything is bad.

I don't go to church at the moment. The last time I went was almost two years go. I just don't know about going to church again. I miss the community but I struggle with church. Surely I can't be the only one who views the Bible like this. I know of quite a number of people in America are more progressive in their faith but not sure about the UK. I don't know of any communities in my area. Since leaving my church I feel somewhat isolated since pretty much all my friends were apart of it. I'm still contact with two friends (who are in the church) and sometimes we meet up (one knows about my doubts and the other doesn't). But it would be nice to meet people with similar views like mine but I'm not sure if there's any in my area.

I sometimes feel not Christian enough to be a Christian and not atheist or agnostic enough to be atheist or agnostic. Really when I think about it, the teachings I experienced when growing up and still in my previous church regarding evangelism have had some sort psychological effect on me. In church I would hear things like the world hates us and be not apart of the world. I would be made to feel guilty for not evangelising but I didn't evangelise due to being scared of non believers. I thought of non-believers as people who were out to get me. At college and work I didn't let anyone get too close me if they weren't believers. It wasn't until recently that I started to see that people are people no matter what they believe. I hate how many Christian view non believers not as people but as potential converts. Not saying this applies to every Christian but I know some who are only friends with non Christians so they can convert them. For me that's a bit like someone who marries only for money or sex. You can't be a good friend if you have some sort of hidden agenda!

Finally I'll end this with hell. I remember my old Pastor once saying it doesn't matter if you're a good person, you'll still go to hell if you don't believe in Jesus. I don't know if I can accept that. I like the idea that God is merciful enough to accept people who tried to do good. Sure none of us are perfect but I think we try to do our best. I sometimes freak out wonder if I'll be going to hell for having my views.

Anyway that's my problem with Christianity. Thank you for reading. I thought it would be long and I was right, and it could been even longer. I don't claim to know everything and some of my conclusions might be wrong but it's what I have at the moment.

I think sometimes people misunderstand what it means to be a Christian and to know God.

It's not a life of strict rules and disapproval.

It's a life of freedom and doing your best within that freedom to glorify God in your life.

The bible says when we are Christians we are a new creation, not condemned anymore but we can live with the assurance that God has set us free from any thoughts that the devil tries to condemn us with, like we're not good enough, not holy enough, don't pray enough, we're to selfish, too weak, too loud, too quiet too this too that.

We have to remind ourselves that God says no one is perfect and without sin, not one. We are all fallen and all need the grace of God to restore us.

The work of the Holy Spirit is to reveal to us who God is, without that we are unable to fully connect to God and understand Him.

My Christianity is simple. Love God and love others. That's it.
day 481516
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by uPT0N)

I think you should read the whole post. Sorry I know it's rather long (and it could of been longer) but I don't think it's because of my upbringing. I do have a strong reaction against people who seem to be into rule keeping or who come across as being self-righteous, and I think that's due to my upbringing but my issue with Christianity is more to do with the inconsistencies I see in scripture. I think it would be unfair on Christianity for me to have issues with it due to my upbringing or the actions of the church or other Christians.
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A Christian is someone who has received the Holy Spirit because “Christ” or “Messiah” means “anointed one” and the anointing is the Holy Spirit (Acts 10v38). Romans 8v9 states:-

. . . you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.”

In the new testament it is known precisely when people receive the Holy Spirit.
. . . they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance . . . having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he has shed forth this, which you now SEE and HEAR . . . For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to ALL that are afar off, even AS MANY AS the Lord our God shall call.” (Acts 2v4, 33, 39)

If you were told that what you could "see and hear" was the promised Holy Spirit, and that this was to you and all who God would call, wouldn’t you expect to speak in tongues, or be told if this was not the case ?

With the gentiles:-
*While* Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.” (Acts 10v44)

How did he know ? . . . (v46)
For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.”

... I started to came to this conclusion after listening to Bart Ehrman talk about the contradictions in 1 Samuel 21:1 and Mark 2:26. I had never heard of such a thing before and looked it up and found he was correct. 1 Samuel 21:1 says the high priest is Ahimelek and Mark 2:26 say it's Abiathar. It was kinda scary to see such a contradiction for the first time because I thought the Bible was the perfectly written word of God.
1 Samuel is correct in stating that the high priest was Ahimelech. On the other hand neither was Jesus wrong. When we take a closer look at Christ’s words we notice that He used the phrase “in the days of Abiathar” which does not necessarily imply that Abiathar was high priest at the time David ate the bread. After David met Ahimelech and ate the bread, King Saul had Ahimelech killed. Abiathar escaped and went to David and later took the place of the high priest (1 Sam 22:17-20). So even though Abiathar was made high priest after David ate the bread, it is still correct to speak in this manner. After all, Abiathar was alive when David did this, and soon following he became the high priest after his father’s death. Thus, it was during the time of Abiathar, but not during his tenure in office.

As I began reading more I noticed things that weren't quite right with scripture. I remember once reading through the Psalms and thinking it couldn't of been written by God because it was embedded in the culture and age of what it written in.
Jesus was "embedded" in the culture and age he appeared in,
Why wouldn't God use people that love him to bring answers in different situations? Does your "God" sit on clouds unaffected by what humans are going through?

Sure some of the chapters are an encouragement (like Psalm 23) and the poetry is wonderfully written but I now think the views expressed in them are that of a man and in how he views the world and God.
Can you prove his view is wrong?
If you don't have a view, a vision, it's impossible for you to discern correctly.
Then you should be honest and humble yourself to receive and use what I mentioned first.

I think he's right but I think this theory also proves that God wasn't writing the Bible through Paul, because if he was then why didn't Paul differentiate between all the types of slavery that would come. Someone might say that I'm being ridiculous because how could a man in that time foresee the transatlantic slave trade and human trafficking. A man couldn't, but if an all knowing God was telling him what to write, he could simple tell the man about what was going to come.
He gave the principles!

1Cor 7:21 Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather.

the end of the Gospel of Mark but even more significant is John 7:53–8:11. If you know your Bible you'll know it's the story of the woman caught in adultery. I love that story and the message it entails but that along with other places were manuscripts don't agree I consider to not be trust worthy.
Don't swallow the hype!
The Vaticanus and Siniaticus (held by guess who?) and related mss leave out (but have a gap of the right size!) passages that were embarrassing to "churches" that didn't habve the miraculous signs following and were greater sinners than the people they sought tithes, offerings and indulgencies from. All others have it, incl. "cursive" MSS, some of which are copies MSS even older than Vaticanus and Siniaticus. Details here.
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe that while religious undertones do play a large part here, I think it's just your parents using religion as more of an excuse to justify stricter parenting and sheltering, more than anything.

I had an Orthodox grandmother who was a lot more Liberal in the way that religion is taught, again, it's not a matter of the subject being taught, but the teacher teaching it.
BTLBTW
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it is unfair to attribute OPs misgivings to his upbringing. His issues pertaining to God originate from his mistrust of his parents and the way they chose to raise him. However, he raises some pertinent points about the literal translations of scripture and the way in which the Bible has been produced and interpreted.

I too believe that the Bible has to be looked at in the context of its time . It is rather the sentiment of the stories and scriptures that is important. For example, the guidelines pertaining to Pork and Shellfish make perfect sense at a time when these foods were difficult to prepare and known as foods which often caused sickness.These guidelines were meant to protect the people of the time. The Bible was not written in a Vacuum of Godliness.

Take the principles that it has taught you. If something makes sense use it , if it doesn't, discard it. Religion in itself and the various denominations within Christianity only offer paradigms in which to see God. You must create your own perception, if at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (68)
15.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (81)
18.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.12%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (132)
30.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed