The Student Room Group

Did i buy the right math books?

I am starting year 12 in 3 days and I am doing the Edexcel exam board for the new spec, so I bought these books are they the right one? I am also doing A level maths.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-level-Mathematics-Textbook-Further/dp/129218339X/ref=pd_sim_229_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MESTF1N1BPSC8P91XNQW

-This is the pure one but I also bought the mechanics + statistics one.

And if you could will i be doing all my exams in 2 years or will I have some exams next summer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Original post by Bad gcse's
I am starting year 12 in 3 days and I am doing the Edexcel exam board for the new spec, so I bought these books are they the right one? I am also doing A level maths.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-level-Mathematics-Textbook-Further/dp/129218339X/ref=pd_sim_229_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MESTF1N1BPSC8P91XNQW

And if you could will i be doing all my exams in 2 years or will I have some exams next summer?

Yes that textbook is for the new Edexcel spec. I don't know what textbook you will be using in school.

You will be doing all A Level exams in the summer of 2019 unless you are a further maths student (then you may take maths in 2018).

EDIT : You may do AS Level exams in 2018.
(edited 6 years ago)

They look right but why have you bought textbooks, won't your school give you the books you need?

The AS don't contribute to the final grade now so some schools take AS and some don't - you need to check.
yes thst's the right book

As for whether you would be doing exams in the summer, that depends on your school policies. Some still enter for the AS and some do not. You will have to ask
Yeah, you did. But you should have waited until you got to year 12, as teachers know what books you should or shouldn't buy.
Hey I've just finished as maths and didn't buy anything prior to the course. Maybe ask your teachers once you start what to buy and if you have brought the right book
Reply 7
Original post by Notnek
Yes that textbook is for the new Edexcel spec. I don't know what textbook you will be using in school.

You will be doing all A Level exams in the summer of 2019 unless you are a further maths student (then you may take maths in 2018).

EDIT : You may do AS Level exams in 2018.

Thank you very much for clearing that up.
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
They look right but why have you bought textbooks, won't your school give you the books you need?

The AS don't contribute to the final grade now so some schools take AS and some don't - you need to check.

Apparently the school I'm going to give an online copy but I prefer the text book copy, and thanks for answering my question.
Reply 9
Original post by thegalaxy
yes thst's the right book

As for whether you would be doing exams in the summer, that depends on your school policies. Some still enter for the AS and some do not. You will have to ask

Ok thanks for the confirmation.
Reply 10
Original post by YourGoddamnRight
Yeah, you did. But you should have waited until you got to year 12, as teachers know what books you should or shouldn't buy.

Thanks for confirming, and I'm going to be buying lots of different books because of the new spec.
Apparently the school I'm going to give an online copy but I prefer the text book copy, and thanks for answering my question.

Yes I understand why a paper copy would be more helpful but the school could probably have got you a cheaper copy.

Good luck anyway :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Beccajane2
Hey I've just finished as maths and didn't buy anything prior to the course. Maybe ask your teachers once you start what to buy and if you have brought the right book

Other people have confirmed it for me, and thanks for helping.
Reply 13
Yes I understand why a paper copy would be more helpful but the school could probably have got you a cheaper copy.

Good luck anyway :smile:

Oh ok, but thanks a lot.

I'm sorry for butting in but what did you get in your GCSE's to name yourself that D:
Reply 15
Original post by Unethicalmice
I'm sorry for butting in but what did you get in your GCSE's to name yourself that D:

2 a*s, 6 a's (including 7 in maths and language) and a lvl 6 in English literature, so I think i can live up to the name.
2 a*s, 6 a's (including 7 in maths and language) and a lvl 6 in English literature, so I think i can live up to the name.

that name is misleading! That's pretty good, i know some people that didn't even get anything higher than a B in their GCSE's and they go to a grammar school D:
Reply 17
Original post by Unethicalmice
that name is misleading! That's pretty good, i know some people that didn't even get anything higher than a B in their GCSE's and they go to a grammar school D:

True but I know i could have done way better if I didn't do things last minute.

Are you doing your gcse' this summer?
Reply 18

Schools don't normally provide a comprehensive textbook for maths (at least in my school). We get given the SMP AQA books which are basically just question books, which lacks explanations about teach topic. So I mean buying like a CGP textbook in my case was beneficial
True but I know i could have done way better if I didn't do things last minute.

Are you doing your gcse' this summer?

Did them this summer, now on to A levels :biggrin: fun

Quick Reply

Latest