Is the subject french in a levels difficult?

Watch
Elzxx9
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
im doing math, further math economics and english lit. im thinking of doing french instead of economics but im not sure how hard it is.
Beccaf99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing French at the moment and the first thing to note is that its a big change from GCSE and a lot more challenging, i guess it depends what exam board you're doing as im doing AQA with the new french A-level. But having a language as an option does give you a huge advantage and you will stand out from the crowd if you have a language on your uni application. Personally i love french as i love learning new languages and it is such a great language to learn, but there are so many good resources online which will help you. I did economics and french and preferred french because i found economics really difficult but that's just me!! But make the decision on what you love as it's different for everyone!!
F3rnw3h
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Elzxx9)
im doing math, further math economics and english lit. im thinking of doing french instead of economics but im not sure how hard it is.
I do Maths, FM, and French too!
I didn't find A Level French was much of a step-up from GCSE - I don't find the reading and listening exams too different (in listening you are actually in control of your own audio and can pause and rewind ). I find the hardest thing is writing essays on the books/films you study, however I think that with practice this is something that can be improved on.
If you enjoy French then go for it - I know just as many people who think it's easy as people who find it hard, so I think it really is down to the individual
Best of luck, and hope that helped
2-99
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's the same kind of format as GCSE (apart from the studying a book or film), but a bit more difficult, as there is a wider range of vocabulary in the reading and the listening is faster, but it is manageable. Bear in mind, AQA old spec. talking here.
Notjustobsessed
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's rather difficult TBH but then again the best things are. In comparison to GCSE a lot more is expected of you in the exam, including more demand on understanding the majority of a listening text as opposed to just parts of one as you have to be able to write summaries and answer longer questions. The translation is possibly the hardest jump as if you get one thing in a sub section wrong in the French to English translation then you drop the whole mark. Something that has caused me issues before. But with practice it gets better. I'd say anyone can do it if you're fairly confident at GCSE and in terms of speaking you'll improve very quickly with all the new structures you'll learn in class. It all goes hand in hand ig.
Notjustobsessed
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Also worth noting I do the new spec which is...... just..... wonderful? I think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (216)
75%
No (72)
25%

Watched Threads