?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
https://www.bbc.com/pidgin
Eulogy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When our TV Licence isn't spent propping up paedophiles, it goes to virtue signalling.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Give me di latest gist mon.

Heh. I grew up around caribbean pidgin.
Kilam_Namoan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some of these articles LMAO. I LOVE IT.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MADMANMALIK)
Some of these articles LMAO. I LOVE IT.
:toofunny:

I actually bookmarked it, I'll be reading di latest about countries dem wey dey informate from now on :tea:.
JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"After dem spray money everywhere" :rofl:

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/sport-41134399

They may as well have a Scouse site with "erm" in between every other word.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JamesN88)
"After dem spray money everywhere" :rofl:

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/sport-41134399

They may as well have a Scouse site with "erm" in between every other word.
loool I actually rate the scouse accent, especially on the birds :perv:. Not much sexier than a pretty little liverpudlian lass.

But the pidgin news is killing me lmao. Even West Indies news uses standard English. :facepalm:. At least pidgin news is fun though.
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
loool I actually rate the scouse accent, especially on the birds :perv:. Not much sexier than a pretty little liverpudlian lass.

But the pidgin news is killing me lmao. Even West Indies news uses standard English. :facepalm:. At least pidgin news is fun though.
Same.

Why China dey chop African donkey. https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/tori-41097857

****in hell. :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:
Kurosaki_Ichi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why wouldn't pidgin be acceptable?

Slaves weren't allowed to learn how to read or write. Moreover, pidgin worked to bridge any language barriers.

And btw, Pidgin and Jamaican Patois are two different things.....
username3441700
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tbh I found it funny when I first found about the site, still laughing about it now. It's hilarious
Lxxa14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Give me di latest gist mon.

Heh. I grew up around caribbean pidgin.
I've never heard a Caribbean person call how they speak pidgin.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lonyeka)
I've never heard a Caribbean person call how they speak pidgin.
:noway:. Let's not argue this. Regardless of how people identify themselves, there's an official definition of the word "pidgin" that's as old as time, and patois falls right under it...
Lxxa14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:noway:. Let's not argue this. Regardless of how people identify themselves, there's an official definition of the word "pidgin" that's as old as time, and patois falls right under it...
Ok fair enough but patois and Nigerian Pidgin are not the same thing - just letting you know. I hear them both very frequently being Nigerian and living in London.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok fair enough but patois and Nigerian Pidgin are not the same thing - just letting you know. I hear them both very frequently being Nigerian and living in London.
Right and when and where did I say they were the same thing...?

And this is what some of you londoners don't get: there's black people outside of London! Just letting YOU know.
Lxxa14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Right and when and where did I say they were the same thing...?

And this is what some of you londoners don't get: there's black people outside of London! Just letting YOU know.
Woah. You need to chill. I know there's black people outside of London, I'm not stupid. I was not rude to you at all so I don't understand why your getting rude to me. I've got family in Liverpool, Essex and other countries like Ireland, America and Australia. I really don't know where that came from. 🤔

P.S. My phone is being sooo annoying and keeps posting my posts before I'm done 😖
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Woah. You need to chill. I know there's black people outside of London, I'm not stupid. I was not rude to you at all so I don't understand why your gettingI've got family in Ireland, Liverpool, Australia and
Cos I said what I had to say and you keep bringing it up and said "just letting you know" and "I live in London" like ok good for you. Living in london don't make you a race expert, and like everyone outside of London is clueless or something. Also pointing out to me that Nigerian and Caribbean are two different types of dialects like I'm a mug and don't know that?? I know that cos I never said otherwise, but pidgin is pidgin. It means broken English, and several islands and countries on every continent have it, including the west indies. Now like I said I'm not tryna have a debate about this.
Lxxa14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cos I said what I had to say and you keep bringing it up and said "just letting you know" and "I live in London" like ok good for you. Living in london don't make you a race expert, and like everyone outside of London is clueless or something. Also pointing out to me that Nigerian and Caribbean are two different types of dialects like I'm a mug and don't know that?? I know that cos I never said otherwise, but pidgin is pidgin. It means broken English, and several islands and countries on every continent have it, including the west indies. Now like I said I'm not tryna have a debate about this.
I wasn't trying to debate. I wasn't trying to insult you. I was trying to inform you. You could have politely said that you knew that Nigerian and Caribbean dialects are different without trying to be rude and we could have squashed this. You'd be surprised by how many people don't know this.
I didn't claim to be a race expert. All these allegations keep on coming. I'm just dumbfounded. You'd think I said something really bad initially to trigger all this when I really didn't. I haven't said a bad word about you yet you've implied that I am dumb several times: "there's black people outside London" and been rude. You should try to be nicer to people online - especially those who really aren't trying to insult you. I'm sorry if you took my comment the wrong way:
Kurosaki_Ichi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes they are both broken english and they are both two different things. But with the same roots. I am actually both African and Jamaican, one side of my family speak Pidgin/Krio, the other Patois.

But the pidgin news is killing me lmao. Even West Indies news uses standard English.
Heh. I grew up around caribbean pidgin
In these phrases it seems you was looking for the word Patois and not Pidgin. Which is why you were corrected.
Lxxa14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kurosaki_Ichi)
Yes they are both broken english and they are both two different things. But with the same roots. I am actually both African and Jamaican, one side of my family speak Pidgin/Krio, the other Patois.

In these phrases it seems you was looking for the word Patois and not Pidgin. Which is why you were corrected.
Thank you! He was really coming for me for no good reason.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kurosaki_Ichi)

Why would I be looking for the word patois when the news site is called BBC Pidgin? But patois is a type of pidgin. Look up the word pidgin my friend. I've not been corrected about anything.

Thank you! He was really coming for me for no good reason.
Thanking him for what, , aren't you old enough to defend yourself?.. Also you never pointed anything out to me. Patois is a type of pidgin.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%