The Student Room Group

Which university to choose?

Hey guys! I want to study in the uk, but I have no idea which university I should choose. My first choice is Oxford, but since the chances of getting in aren't that big, I want a backup. I've tried searching universities on the internet but there are so many that I have no idea which one would suit me.

The thing I'm looking for is an university with live-in accommodation, such as halls and not shared flats, for at least 2 years. I'm not looking for a party uni but really somewhere with a more academic atmosphere and where students are serious about their education and care about hard work. Preferably an university with a good reputation and that's highly thought of.
Then the last and probably most difficult thing, since I absolutely love the vibe of Oxford, I'm looking for something similar. Old buildings and beautiful libraries hold my heart, and being accommodated in the heart of the city would be great. I'm less fond of modern universities.

Anyway, does a place like this exist? And where do I find it? Or any other recommendations for universities? I don't live in the uk, so any thoughts would be helpful!

Original post by Pntash
Hey guys! I want to study in the uk, but I have no idea which university I should choose. My first choice is Oxford, but since the chances of getting in aren't that big, I want a backup. I've tried searching universities on the internet but there are so many that I have no idea which one would suit me.

The thing I'm looking for is an university with live-in accommodation, such as halls and not shared flats, for at least 2 years. I'm not looking for a party uni but really somewhere with a more academic atmosphere and where students are serious about their education and care about hard work. Preferably an university with a good reputation and that's highly thought of.
Then the last and probably most difficult thing, since I absolutely love the vibe of Oxford, I'm looking for something similar. Old buildings and beautiful libraries hold my heart, and being accommodated in the heart of the city would be great. I'm less fond of modern universities.

Anyway, does a place like this exist? And where do I find it? Or any other recommendations for universities? I don't live in the uk, so any thoughts would be helpful!

What were you hoping to study?
Reply 2
Probably physics/astronomy/astrophysics but I'm still thinking about it
Check out U of Manchester!
Imperial?
The UCAS course search is pretty useful...it might be worth taking a look to see what interest you...do you want to be more urban, or would you be happy in a smaller town?
I would say check out Uni of Winchester, they have a great mix of old & modern buildings, as does the city itself. Teaching is excellent, they are in the top 10 for that. They've got some interesting courses too, their liberal arts course offers a good mix of things.
Original post by Khanman123
Imperial?

If you want the academic vibe, Imperial is the way forward
Original post by Pntash

I don't think any universities except Oxford and Cambridge guarantee university accommodation for more than one year- you're going to have to abandon that requirement.

Have you considered Durham? It's an old, academic university, although it isn't in a city. There's also Edinburgh university which is in a city.

Bath is a modern uni but the city of Bath that it's next to has lots of traditional buildings.

Apart from those, most unis are fairly modern, although some have a small old area with the rest more modern, like Birmingham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending