The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at Oxford

Hey there! I'm going into year 13 this month and am starting to look seriously at universities now and was hoping that if I tell you my academic profile, some of you could help me decide if Oxford is a realistic goal?I want to study English as my degree. GCSEs- 6A*s, 4As and a C (in Classical Greek)AS Level - A in Maths (390/400) and B in general studies Predicted A2s: A* A* A* A*However, it is worth nothing that I started year 12 last year and left in December as I hated boarding school so I spent the rest of the year interning at a magazine and working. I took no exams that year but I am effectively a year behind as I could not join year 12 at another school a term late. Thanks so much guys!!

Forgot to mention- I am doing an English related EPQ as well xx
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Its worth a shot. Your grades can surely make an average Oxbridge application.
Reply 2
Original post by mn9011
Its worth a shot. Your grades can surely make an average Oxbridge application.

Thanks so much for the reply- think I will do!
Original post by abigail2599
Hey there! I'm going into year 13 this month and am starting to look seriously at universities now and was hoping that if I tell you my academic profile, some of you could help me decide if Oxford is a realistic goal?I want to study English as my degree. GCSEs- 6A*s, 4As and a C (in Classical Greek)AS Level - A in Maths (390/400) and B in general studies Predicted A2s: A* A* A* A*However, it is worth nothing that I started year 12 last year and left in December as I hated boarding school so I spent the rest of the year interning at a magazine and working. I took no exams that year but I am effectively a year behind as I could not join year 12 at another school a term late. Thanks so much guys!!

I'd say you're in with a shot depending on what degree you choose to pursue. You should also in some way justify why you decided to leave school in year 12 in your PS. Maybe not the whole story but enough for them to be satisfied.

We can't see a reason for you not to apply.

Oxford is also a residential University, of course - but very different to boarding school. We are glad you are back on track now and wish you all the best for your studies this year.
Reply 5
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We can't see a reason for you not to apply.

Oxford is also a residential University, of course - but very different to boarding school. We are glad you are back on track now and wish you all the best for your studies this year.

Thanks so much for your reply and best wishes. Just a quick question if that's OK- do you think it would be a good idea to address why I left that school in my personal statement or will it not make much difference to the strength of my application ? Thanks again:smile:
Thanks so much for your reply and best wishes. Just a quick question if that's OK- do you think it would be a good idea to address why I left that school in my personal statement or will it not make much difference to the strength of my application ? Thanks again:smile:

We don't have full details of your case but our feeling is that this would be worth noting - but probably best if your referee provided a brief commentary in his/hers ection.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending