The Student Room Group

Getting into Nursing, can't seem to find a straight answer!

Hi all,

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct place, however I'll start here because most of my questions are centred around finances!

I am looking into getting into nursing. I'm 27 years old and know NOTHING about being a student or university or grants/loans anything like that because the last bit of study I did was A levels aged 18 so almost 10 years ago now.

Always wanted to be a Nurse but because of a personal situation at home where I left when I was 17 I had to get a full time job and provide for myself and since then been stuck in office jobs that I hate.

My situation is this:

I cannot afford to be out of work because I have a mortgage, not your average student, would say I'm more of a "mature" student.

I am aware that Nursing is a full time degree, and various people have informed me that you have to do placement in which you get paid for then you can also work shifts in the hospital/community as a health care assistant to bump your salary up to match a full time wage, is this true?

Also would I even qualify for getting any sort of financial help with paying for the degree (loans, grants?) because won't the government look at the fact I have a mortgage and see it as a no no? I also have a car loan (7k).

I honestly know nothing about the finance side of things and I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere at all, specially with Nursing it all seems different due to placement.

Can anyone talk me step by step through the process I would have to go through?

Any advice at all is appreciated and no sarcastic comments please, because I really could use the guidenece.

Hi FaithMitchell19,

With regards to getting paid for your nursing placement and working in the community you would need to speak to the University you are planning on going to for some more information about this.

For the student finance part you would be able to apply for full funding for a Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) of up to £9250 and for means tested Maintenance Loan (ML) and if applicable supplementary grants (Parents' Learning Allowances, Childcare Grant, Adult Dependants' Grant and Disabled Students' Allowances).

Depending on your living situation if you have a partner then we would look at their income to calculate your entitlement for means tested funding. If you are on your own you would likely get a full entitlement.

You can check the student finance calculator for an idea of the amount you could get by clicking here.

Also speak to your university and ask if there are any bursaries or other financial support that you could perhaps get from them.

Thanks
Thanks Laura,

This is the problem with me wanted to do a degree...I live with my partner, and jointly we earn a god income. However surely they wouldn't take my current income into account because I'd be leaving that job to do a full time degree?
Original post by FaithMitchell19
Thanks Laura,

This is the problem with me wanted to do a degree...I live with my partner, and jointly we earn a god income. However surely they wouldn't take my current income into account because I'd be leaving that job to do a full time degree?

That's right. if you have a partner, it just goes on their income. Your is ignored.
Thanks tiger. He earns 33k per year. Do they take your outgoings into consideration? That's not a bad income in my opinion however he won't be able to support me because all the earnings go on paying off the house, bills, food, car, and also we have a son. Hence why me wondering about placement and working part time etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending