AisGreen93
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi All,

I'm a mature student (24!) and have been working in the industry for 8 years and have worked my way up to a Head of Marketing position.

I'm looking to solidify my status a little by either taking a year out to do a Masters or studying part time. Ideally the course would be accredited with CIM.

As you might have gathered, that time in the industry means I didn't complete any A-Levels, so it would have to be a course that accepts you based on work experience (I know they're out there!).

Has anyone got any recommendations at all?
Minty
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey,

Well, you're in a good position, good role at a young age.

I fell into marketing roles and had the same urge for some book learning and letters after my name. I went down the CIM professional development route instead of a full time course. Might that be an option for you?

I took two years to do the Professional Diploma, took four (moderately challenging) courses and came out with a level 6 qualification (one under a masters level) and chartered & MCIM (Member of CIM, second highest membership level) status.

In day-to-day terms it hasn't changed my life, but it's left me much better equipped to understand marketing in a business context, understand how business objectives cascade to marketing objectives and then comm's objectives. I've also used the models they teach, sparingly but when I do it's super-relevant and important. I'm actually doing some 7 P's work at the moment; I find myself working with a load of insight, or data, and see that what I'm doing is 2/3 of the analysis they taught me - I now feel like Im better able to add value and develop that thinking using the models I was taught.

I find that most/all of the senior marketeers I deal with are part of CIM industry groups and that in networking and status terms its really good for me.

When I did mine a few years ago I had the option of then taking the level 7 which gives you a PG Dip, and then submitting a masters thesis and getting a full masters. I dont know if this is still the case (they have re-jigged the modules a bit).

These links might help, give me a shout if you have any Q's - happy to help :-)

https://www.cim.co.uk/qualifications...nal-marketing/
https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qu...ication-levels
https://www.cim.co.uk/membership/types/
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AisGreen93)
Hi All,

I'm a mature student (24!) and have been working in the industry for 8 years and have worked my way up to a Head of Marketing position.

I'm looking to solidify my status a little by either taking a year out to do a Masters or studying part time. Ideally the course would be accredited with CIM.

As you might have gathered, that time in the industry means I didn't complete any A-Levels, so it would have to be a course that accepts you based on work experience (I know they're out there!).

Has anyone got any recommendations at all?
(Original post by Minty)
Hey,

I fell into marketing roles and had the same urge for some book learning and letters after my name. I went down the CIM professional development route instead of a full time course. Might that be an option for you?

I took two years to do the Professional Diploma, took four (moderately challenging) courses and came out with a level 6 qualification (one under a masters level) and chartered & MCIM (Member of CIM, second highest membership level) status.

In day-to-day terms it hasn't changed my life, but it's left me much better equipped to understand marketing in a business context, understand how business objectives cascade to marketing objectives and then comm's objectives. I've also used the models they teach, sparingly but when I do it's super-relevant and important. I'm actually doing some 7 P's work at the moment; I find myself working with a load of insight, or data, and see that what I'm doing is 2/3 of the analysis they taught me - I now feel like Im better able to add value and develop that thinking using the models I was taught.

I find that most/all of the senior marketeers I deal with are part of CIM industry groups and that in networking and status terms its really good for me.

When I did mine a few years ago I had the option of then taking the level 7 which gives you a PG Dip, and then submitting a masters thesis and getting a full masters. I dont know if this is still the case (they have re-jigged the modules a bit).

AisGreen93
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Minty)
Hey,

Hey Minty,

That certainly sounds like a really appropriate route I could take. Where did you study yours and how was it marked/graded etc?

Thanks in advance!
Minty
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did mine at my local college. 2 1/2 hour lessons weekly in term time, taught by a reasonably good teacher (marketing professional who ran a training agency).

Class were mid-level marketers, say 23 to early 30's, some 2-3 years in, others more experienced. It was good for networking:

The syllabus has changed since, but I don't think the assessment has - 2x 3 hour exams, 2 x coursework. The coursework isn't long (5k words?) but contains a big appendix section so it's more substantial than it sounds.

You have the option of term time learning or condensed weekend learning - the latter requires a lot more discipline but does condense it. The week based learning means you have to be on top of your reading too - but i found the structure easier.

Don't underestimate the study skills required. I did mine in two halves, the first 2 modules a few years after graduating which I found very straight forward. When I came to finish it off at 30 I struggled a lot more because I was out of the study zone, mentally.

You can find providers in your area on the CIM website.

Feel free tofire any More Q's at me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (161)
19.4%
Labour (422)
50.84%
Liberal Democrats (112)
13.49%
Green Party (46)
5.54%
Brexit Party (12)
1.45%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.48%
SNP (14)
1.69%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.48%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.72%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)