catandpizza
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I'm an A Level student and I'm interested in medicine but unsure if clinical medicine is a career I want to follow. I am planning to apply for a degree such as biomedical science this coming term and am thinking about then going onto to do graduate medicine afterwards if I'm still interested as I don't want to apply to medicine now when I'm still not 100% sure it's what I want to do. However, I'm worried about the financial cost of this since tuition fees are so high now, and also about the length of studying. How can you fund this, either on the graduate course or the normal 5 years? Is doing a science degree first a bad way to go into medicine?
redsoxs
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
if you meet the prerequisite entry requirements, then I would recommend studying medicine as your first degree, due to the cost burden you mentioned. It is certainly possible to study medicine as a 2nd degree. There are funding option available for medicine as a 2nd ferrée but these can be limited based on the route of entry.

As far as being unsure whether medicine is for you. I would recommend doing work experience/ relevant volunteering. As well as being required for a medicine application it'll also give you a sense of what medicine might be like. Also it's possible to become a research scientist through medicine.
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Doing a biomedical science degree is a very expensive and long-winded way of working out whether or not you want to do medicine.

Why not take a gap year and gain some more work experience?
APPLICANT2016
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by catandpizza)
Hi, I'm an A Level student and I'm interested in medicine but unsure if clinical medicine is a career I want to follow. I am planning to apply for a degree such as biomedical science this coming term and am thinking about then going onto to do graduate medicine afterwards if I'm still interested as I don't want to apply to medicine now when I'm still not 100% sure it's what I want to do. However, I'm worried about the financial cost of this since tuition fees are so high now, and also about the length of studying. How can you fund this, either on the graduate course or the normal 5 years? Is doing a science degree first a bad way to go into medicine?

As other have suggested, it is very unadvisable to take another degree for the purpose you have stated.

If you want to do medicine, do it now. Only do Biomed if you really want to and not because it is a gateway to medicine and yet you are unsure about medicine.

Please note that graduate medicine is more competitive then undergraduate medicine. You have to get a minimum of a 2;1 in your first degree. Then you are competing with a very large number of other graduates for a lot fewer places then in undergraduate medicine.

So - in a nutshell - think carefully what you want to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (20)
9.26%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (131)
60.65%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.89%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (30)
13.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.31%

Watched Threads