MezmorisedPotato's Journey to A*A*AWatch
GYG 2017/2018 Entry- Journey to Medicine
A levels I am carrying onto second year and predicted grade(could change):
AQA Biology- A*
AQA Chemistry- A
OCR Biology- A*
OCR Chemistry- A*
OCR Physics- A*
Edexcel Maths- A*
WJEC English Literature- A*
WJEC English Language- A*
Edexcel RS- A*
AQA History- A*
OCR Computing- A
AQA French- A
Edexcel PE- A
Overall: 8A*'s 3A's. Really happy with my results even though I was one mark of an A* in PE .
Completed AS Levels (Modular):
AS Mathematics- A (251/300 UMS)
Based on Mid Year Assessments and mocks, my linear AS Grades:
AS Biology: A
AS Chemistry: A
AS Physics: B
Physics AS level wasn't what I expected it to be, I found the content rather uninteresting but I still worked hard to get it to the grade I wanted it to be at before dropping it.
Once college starts, I will update this thread weekly with my progress on UKCAT, BMAT, PS, UCAS and A level progress. I look forward to working hard to achieving the grades of A*A*A* that I aspire for. I assume there will be lots of caffeine and late night work but hopefully I pull through and reach the final goal of studying medicine!
Best of luck! I did maths and chemistry (along with further maths and physics) this year and achieved A*A*A*A so if you need any advice/tips/websites or anything relevant about the subjects let me know and I'll try to help! Which medical schools will you be applying to?
I'm planning to apply to
Ultimately it depends on my UKCAT score. I'm doing the test on the 19th so I'll really consolidate choices from then.
Once again thank you for the offer, I'm sure It'll help me increase me chances of doing well this year!
- UKCAT preparation: Verbal Reasoning and Abstract Reasoning timed tests ( my weakest sections ).
- Organised AS Chemistry notes for revision for test first day back.
- Organised AR patterns into a list and studied them so those patterns stay in my head.
- Continued work on UKCAT AR and VR section under timed conditions
- Revise content for chemistry: Bonding and Redox Chemistry
- Do practise questions for these topics.
- Finished revision of redox chemistry and oxidation states + bonding topic
- Completed many UKCAT questions for VR and AR: scores are becoming more and more consistent as I practise and learn patterns inside out
- But, I didn't manage to do exam questions which brings me onto some change of plans:
- Chemistry exam questions will be done on Sunday after learning all of my AS content for chemistry
- Biology and Maths AS review will be done during next week commencing alongside new A2 work.
- UKCAT will only be a week away after 19th so some priority will be given to UKCAT given I only get one chance and if I do well, I may only apply to one BMAT university.
Generally it's been a productive day, I need to remind myself to just practise and practise...
- UKCAT Practise on VR, AR and DM in timed conditions
- AS Chemistry revision: Chemical Equilibria
- AS Chemistry revision: Kinetics
- Do textbook practise questions on chemistry topics to consolidate revision
- Practised set of AR, VR and DM timed questions: scores more consistent
- Completed AS Chemistry Kinetics revision
- Halfway through Chemical Equilibria
- Completed practise textbook questions on kinetics
So generally pleased with the day, I will be focusing on Equilibria tomorrow to finish off revision and start new aims. Tune in tomorrow for those.
- UKCAT timed test preparation: AR, VR and DM
- UKCAT pattern revision: comprises of looking at old patterns to maintain familiarity.
- AS Chemistry revision: 2nd half of equilibria
- AS Chemistry: Concentrations in Kc
- A- level Chemistry review of Organic chemistry
- Past paper questions on optical isomerism, carboxylic acids and acyl chlorides
- Practise on C3 topics such as trig differentiation and integration
- Biology- 2 past papers completed, marked and annotated
Sorry for not updating regularly, I have been busy with applications and other commitments so I didn't have time to update this blog.
I'll try and update more regularly from now on.
- Maths: Revised integration of trig functions, reverse chain rule and awkward functions- Synoptic score: 92% A*
- More focus given to chemistry this week so far due to test on Friday on ALL of Organic chemistry
- Revised AS Knowledge of introduction to organic chemistry
- Revised AS Knowledge of Alkanes
- Completed past paper practise questions on Intro and alkanes- 74/80- 93% A*
That's pretty much it. I'll update again tomorrow and make this much more regular
Unfortunately I didn’t really update this thread well enough because I genuinely was busy and sorta overwhelmed with my work so felt like I shouldn’t be doing this. I kinda regret this now as I enjoyed the GCSE one and wish my update schedule transferred over when I started A levels.
Anyway to update everyone, I got A*AA in Maths, Biology and Chemistry and so confirmed my place to study Medicine at Birmingham. I’ve confirmed accomodation and will be moving in the next month.
Honestly it’s such a huge step to the next part of my journey and I can’t wait for the challenges ahead.