The Student Room Group

Further maths

Good afternoon everyone.

I'm currently doing A level further maths .

I've finished FP1 ,S2 and D1 and I got (UMS 80, 74, 58) respectfully.

I'll start doing FP2 and FP3 and M2 by 11th of September...

What must I do to get an overall A in Further maths??
And do I need to use tuition or private teacher to achieve it???
Reply 1
I'd change FP3 quickly to something else if I were you.
Reply 2
Original post by Burak yilmaz
Good afternoon everyone.

I'm currently doing A level further maths .

I've finished FP1 ,S2 and D1 and I got (UMS 80, 74, 58) respectfully.

I'll start doing FP2 and FP3 and M2 by 11th of September...

What must I do to get an overall A in Further maths??
And do I need to use tuition or private teacher to achieve it???

If you are not resitting (which I think may be problematic anyway given the new spec coming in, not sure though), you need to get 268 of the 300 marks available to you in your remaining exams. Otherwise, in general, you need 80% overall, or 480 of the 600 available marks.
Edit: Should add that the margin for an A for you is very slim. 267/300 or less and it's below an A, 270/300 or more and it's an A*.
(edited 6 years ago)
Do you feel like the marks you have achieved accurately reflect your abilities?
Original post by spectral_theory
Do you feel like the marks you have achieved accurately reflect your abilities?

No at all....I was shocked.... I'm thinking of retaking FP1 and S2 to get higher grades....not D1 Because I'm really really fed up with it.
Original post by Tubbz
I'd change FP3 quickly to something else if I were you.

Unfortunately my school decides what module should I do....

Is fp3 hard????
Reply 6
Unfortunately my school decides what module should I do....

Is fp3 hard????

Compared to other modules, yes. If you're struggling with D1, then I wouldn't want to be looking at FP3
Reply 7
D1 is an oddball. The "maths" is primary school stuff and so the marking is incredibly strict and you lose a bucket full of marks for not writing down the exact steps expected.

If you like pure maths, especially calculus, you'll find much to like in FP3. Of course, if you don't like Pure maths, then why are you doing FM anyway??

To get an A in Further Maths, like all other A levels, you need 80% overall. That's 480 our of 600. TO get the A*, you need to get at least 480/600 and get an average of 90% in your best A2 level modules. That would be the best 3 of your FP2. FP3. S2 and M2.

If you're doing A level as well as Further, the exam board will shuffle your applied modules (D1, S1, M1, S2, M2) around to get you the best combination of grades. So if you do well in C3/C4 and I assume you did S1 as well, then your D1 could get swapped over to your A level and your S1 count in your Further. You don't have to do anything for this, they will do it automatically.
Original post by TeacherP
D1 is an oddball. The "maths" is primary school stuff and so the marking is incredibly strict and you lose a bucket full of marks for not writing down the exact steps expected.

If you like pure maths, especially calculus, you'll find much to like in FP3. Of course, if you don't like Pure maths, then why are you doing FM anyway??

To get an A in Further Maths, like all other A levels, you need 80% overall. That's 480 our of 600. TO get the A*, you need to get at least 480/600 and get an average of 90% in your best A2 level modules. That would be the best 3 of your FP2. FP3. S2 and M2.

If you're doing A level as well as Further, the exam board will shuffle your applied modules (D1, S1, M1, S2, M2) around to get you the best combination of grades. So if you do well in C3/C4 and I assume you did S1 as well, then your D1 could get swapped over to your A level and your S1 count in your Further. You don't have to do anything for this, they will do it automatically.

I got an A on S1 (UMS 83) .....I do really enjoy doing pure maths...I was shocked when I got UMS 80 at fp1 ....do you recommend me to retake it??
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Tubbz
Compared to other modules, yes. If you're struggling with D1, then I wouldn't want to be looking at FP3

So you're saying that fp3 depends on some knowledge of D1???
I got an A at S1 (UMS 83) .....I do really enjoyed doing pure maths...I was shocked when I got UMS 80 at fp1 ....do you recommend me to retake it??

If you can fit it in, it is zero risk - your best score counts, so even if you fluff it completely you've still got that 80 banked.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
So you're saying that fp3 depends on some knowledge of D1???

No, I was saying D1 is an incredibly easy module, and FP3 isn't, struggling in D1 wouldn't fill me with confidence if someone was going on to do FP3
Original post by TeacherP
Oh sorry. I misread your results.

UMS 80 is much more marginal. There's only 20 more marks to get there and you have to look at your exam timetable and scheduling your revision.

But if you can fit it in, it is zero risk - your best score counts, so even if you fluff it completely you've still got that 80 banked.

Honestly... I've spent days feeling worried about it.... but your comment made me breath relaxley.....

Thank you for your help.... I'm really grateful
Original post by Tubbz
No, I was saying D1 is an incredibly easy module, and FP3 isn't, struggling in D1 wouldn't fill me with confidence if someone was going on to do FP3

Because D1 is so easy, it's marked very strictly and also candidates tend to underestimate it and don't bother to do proper revision.

A poor result in D1 isn't, IME, an indicator of very much except possibly that the candidate was fed up taking exams by the time D1 came round!
Original post by Tubbz

It might sound weird... but I was doing very good at D1 throughout the year ....I got A at my two mock exams..... I studied very well and it wasn't hard at all but very long.

To be honest I have no idea what happened in the summer exam..I knew I made mistakes but not to 58 UMS....so I'm confused on what happened exactly
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah d1 sounds horrible, gonna self teach m3 instead. I would much rather an exam was harder than took ages to complete and small errors were heavily penalized.

Quick Reply

Latest