The Student Room Group

Laptops you recommend

So I'm starting university in a few weeks and will be moving out so need a new laptop.

I take the majority of my notes on my laptop so would want a decent battery life. I don't know much about computers but 8 GB RAM would be a requirement. Finally I would prefer if it didn't weigh a tonne.

I've had a look at laptops with these requirements and I saw the Lenovo Yoga 710 but it's quite pricey at £800.

Any cheaper options?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

What else are you using it for?

If you're just taking notes, watching vids, etc you can likely just use a chromebook:
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/best-chromebooks-top-5-chromebooks-in-the-us-1233696
Reply 2
could try a refurbished or 2nd handed for cheaper
Original post by SGHD26716
So I'm starting university in a few weeks and will be moving out so need a new laptop.

I take the majority of my notes on my laptop so would want a decent battery life. I don't know much about computers but 8 GB RAM would be a requirement. Finally I would prefer if it didn't weigh a tonne.

I've had a look at laptops with these requirements and I saw the Lenovo Yoga 710 but it's quite pricey at £800.

Any cheaper options?

Thanks.

What is your ideal budget?

This links to all the laptops with the details you have listed above- http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/703_7006_70006_xx_ba00002920-bv00307955%7Cbv00307956%7Cbv00307957-ba00012875-bv00311086%7Cbv00311087/1_20/price-asc/xx_xx_xx_xx_5-6-7-8-10-11-12-13-14-15-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-criteria.html
Reply 4
My suggestion is that no matter what laptop you get, may sure it is expandable beyond the 8 gigabytes if you plan on also using it for gaming and other things, and to routinely back up your files, through various means (secure online storage, flash drives and/or external HD). Try to also select a system, if you can, that has some sort of bundled software packages-fairly standard, but shop around carefully to get what you want specifically (you can get a stripped down system and build it up, too, to your specs, sometimes that can work out better). I myself am more partial to Asus, but of course everyone has their own preference. The only other thing I would add, and I realize this may make things more expensive, BUT IF possible, since you are doing a lot of note taking, perhaps if you have a tablet and a laptop-with the laptop remaining home (so that it becomes your "home computer" and the tablet being the one you take to class with an accompanying keyboard-then you can have two systems, one is your travel/class on the go one, and the other at home is the backup, so that if the laptop is a little bigger with a large viewable screen (ideal if you stream and want to watch things on the laptop) then it always another source as your backup, and in doing that, you don't have to go so high end on the laptop. It is fairly amazing, the wear and tear on systems we carry to and from class, that we have with us out and about at cafe's, restaurants, etc. So having the two in that sense(laptop and tablet)-I have found it a great benefit. (but of course, only if this is an option, if not, go with the smaller, more portable laptop)

Best wishes to you in the upcoming school term and hope this is helpful to you. :smile:

Any cheaper options?

Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5

Less than £800. My dad doesn't mind, I just don't want to buy something for so much.

Also, I see in reviews HP tend to exaggerate battery life?

Any cheaper options?

Thanks.

when u get your student ID / email address you can get student discounts from a lot of manufacturers and discounts from places like apple and microsoft for software (4 years office 365 with 1 TB onedrive storage for £59 and it allows you to install the latest version on any device...providing it is 2 computers/laptops and either 2 iOS or android devices)

depending on your course id say go for either a surface pro (the unreliability figures apparently were exaggerated and is in line with Macs) or a macbook air.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
whats your budget?and do you know about unidays discount and using nus card for cheaper prices?
Original post by jungle_ninja

If you're just taking notes, watching vids, etc you can likely just use a chromebook:
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/best-chromebooks-top-5-chromebooks-in-the-us-1233696

Love my Chromebook - it's super quick, and perfect for docs etc, without being too pricey - recommend them wherever I go!
Reply 9
Original post by jungle_ninja

I would prefer a proper laptop. I have read chrome books are more for surfing the internet and not great for Office.
Original post by quasa
when u get your student ID / email address you can get student discounts from a lot of manufacturers and discounts from places like apple and microsoft for software (4 years office 365 with 1 TB onedrive storage for £59 and it allows you to install the latest version on any device...providing it is 2 computers/laptops and either 2 iOS or android devices)

depending on your course id say go for either a surface pro (the unreliability figures apparently were exaggerated and is in line with Macs) or a macbook air.

Original post by wolto
whats your budget?and do you know about unidays discount and using nus card for cheaper prices?

Less than £800. I get a discount from JohnLewis anyway of 12.5%. I don't know if uni discounts will be bigger.
(edited 6 years ago)
Less than £800. My dad doesn't mind, I just don't want to buy something for so much.

Also, I see in reviews HP tend to exaggerate battery life?

My HP does about 6 working hours, I think most of the manufacturers exaggerate battery life.
Reply 11
Original post by the_nshoesmith
My HP does about 6 working hours, I think most of the manufacturers exaggerate battery life.

Which one do you have?

Do you think it's good?
Reply 12
Less than £800. I get a discount from JohnLewis anyway of 12.5%. I don't know if uni discounts will be bigger.

You don't necessarily have to get an 8GB RAM a 4gb with decent processor like an i3 or anything higher than 2ghz should be fine for taking notes and casual use, i have a 1.8Ghz quard core and rgb RAM and i can manage to play fifa 14 and browse correctly😬😀 and only cost under 300 i can find some online and suggest to you if you want
Reply 13
Original post by wolto
You don't necessarily have to get an 8GB RAM a 4gb with decent processor like an i3 or anything higher than 2ghz should be fine for taking notes and casual use, i have a 1.8Ghz quard core and rgb RAM and i can manage to play fifa 14 and browse correctly😬😀 and only cost under 300 i can find some online and suggest to you if you want

I have a 4GB RAM laptop i5 at the moment and it's struggles with word and chrome at the same time.

Also, I don't really know much about speeds and processors.

I would like something for the long term. Our old computer lasted 14 years before it's untimely death.
Which one do you have?

Do you think it's good?

I've had mine a few years and it works absolutely fine. It came with Windows 8, since it's been upgraded for free to 8.1 and then Windows 10, and still works perfectly fine.

I have a HP Pavilion 15 - when I got it, it was the last one in the UK to sell and you can't get my exact model anymore. If I was getting a laptop, I'd either get one from HP, Dell or Microsoft as personal preference.
Reply 15
I have a 4GB RAM laptop i5 at the moment and it's struggles with word and chrome at the same time.

I would like something for the long term. Our old computer lasted 14 years before it's untimely death.

an i5 4GB Ram shrugging, to browse google? i think you will need to cash out and go in big to get something good and last longer check out big brands like hp or Microsoft laptops or if you can afford a macbook pro or macbook, that will last because it has less virus and issues
Reply 16
Original post by wolto
an i5 4GB Ram shrugging, to browse google? i think you will need to cash out and go in big to get something good and last longer check out big brands like hp or Microsoft laptops or if you can afford a macbook pro or macbook, that will last because it has less virus and issues

It is a Sony Vaio Fit 15e. I've currently got chrome open and the fan is running at full speed.

The outer casing has also come off - terrible design around the hinges.
Reply 17
Original post by the_nshoesmith
I've had mine a few years and it works absolutely fine. It came with Windows 8, since it's been upgraded for free to 8.1 and then Windows 10, and still works perfectly fine.

I have a HP Pavilion 15 - when I got it, it was the last one in the UK to sell and you can't get my exact model anymore. If I was getting a laptop, I'd either get one from HP, Dell or Microsoft as personal preference.

Thanks
Reply 18
It is a Sony Vaio Fit 15e. I've currently got chrome open and the fan is running at full speed.

The outer casing has also come off - terrible design around the hinges.

i have checkedthat and it is pretty old tbf so you wont expect it to function as good as the specs suggest but you can trust in the new generation cpus and go for an i5 with 8gb ram i have seen one on currys pcworld for 599 discounted from 699 which means its good price wise and you save 200 instead of buying the one for £800 the hp has a new core i5 with 8gb ram and 128 ssd which is good for transfereing and saving fikes like notes quicker but you will meed a fixed budget so i can suggest the right one for your price
Reply 19
Original post by wolto
i have checkedthat and it is pretty old tbf so you wont expect it to function as good as the specs suggest but you can trust in the new generation cpus and go for an i5 with 8gb ram i have seen one on currys pcworld for 599 discounted from 699 which means its good price wise and you save 200 instead of buying the one for £800 the hp has a new core i5 with 8gb ram and 128 ssd which is good for transfereing and saving fikes like notes quicker but you will meed a fixed budget so i can suggest the right one for your price

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Offer.aspx?p=c-backtoschool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending