Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    All About the Keele Mentors Scheme

First of all, congratulations to all of you who have got your places at Keele this year! :party:

As new Keele students, you have the opportunity to apply for a Keele Mentor, as part of the Keele Mentors scheme. In this thread, I’ve put together a quick FAQ guide to the scheme, plus a link to sign up if you would like :yep:

What’s it all about?

The Keele Mentors scheme is a peer mentoring scheme which allows all new undergraduate students, from the UK and overseas (including study abroad students) to be assigned a current Keele student who will aid them with the transition to life at Keele. Choosing to have a mentor is a great way to find out about what life at university is really like, and having had a mentor of my own when I started at Keele, I can personally say that it is a really useful opportunity that I would definitely recommend looking into!

What do Keele Mentors do?

Keele Mentors (such as myself) are here to share their experiences of starting at Keele, answer any questions you might have, and show you around campus to help you find your way once you arrive. We can’t help you directly with your work, however we can give general study tips and point you in the right direction if you need extra support. In short, we want to help you make the most of your time at Keele, and we do this by supporting you both before and after you arrive

Who will my mentor be?

When you sign up for a mentor, you will be asked which course you are studying, and a bit about your home and educational background. The idea is that you will be matched with a friendly, current student (typically in their second or third year) who is studying the same or a similar course, or who has come from a similar background, for example, one who is a care leaver, has transferred from another university, or come to Keele from another country.

How will my mentor contact me?

First contact between mentors and mentees is always via email. After receiving an introductory email from your mentor, you can decide whether to keep emailing each other, or whether to use another method of contact such as Facebook Messenger.

What if my mentor isn’t studying my course?

Because each academic school will have a different number of available mentors, it is possible that your mentor won’t have studied your course. This isn’t a problem, however, as we are able to get in touch with senior mentors from other schools, if you have any course-specific queries that we are unable to answer ourselves.

What should I do if I no longer need support?

You don’t have to keep in touch with your mentor if you find that you no longer need their help. All you need to do is let them know; they should be understanding and wish you the best!

How do I sign up for a mentor?

You can sign up for a Mentor by following the link at the bottom of this page:

https://www.keele.ac.uk/keelementors/getakeelementor/

If you have any further questions that I've missed here, please let me know, and I will answer as soon as I can!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    04MR17 :ninja:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I would have signed up already, but I still don't have my IT login
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I have since signed up and have a mentor. Hadn't realised that I'd not posted here.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Keele Mentors invite.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  87.5 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.