The Student Room Group

What are my rights (disability)?

I recently applied to a programme for young people to go on a trip (I don't want to say where as the issue is ongoing) to a conference for young people. The trip is part of an exchange between 2 countries.
Anyway, because of my disability, I said that I would need to be accompanied to go and that I would not be comfortable at all in sharing a room with other young people going.
They got back to me today saying that they 'could not accommodate my wishes' (wishes? More like needs!).

What are my rights? Am I expecting too much? Am I in the wrong here?

Any constructive help is much appreciated
Original post by Labrador99
I recently applied to a programme for young people to go on a trip (I don't want to say where as the issue is ongoing) to a conference for young people. The trip is part of an exchange between 2 countries.
Anyway, because of my disability, I said that I would need to be accompanied to go and that I would not be comfortable at all in sharing a room with other young people going.
They got back to me today saying that they 'could not accommodate my wishes' (wishes? More like needs!).

Depends on what your disability is and if your need is a direct consequence of that disability. Also there could be some issues since it's in a different country? Have you tried to email them back or phone them back or what ever to ask for more information on why they couldn't help you?? :smile:
Original post by SlashaRussia
Depends on what your disability is and if your need is a direct consequence of that disability. Also there could be some issues since it's in a different country? Have you tried to email them back or phone them back or what ever to ask for more information on why they couldn't help you?? :smile:

I have emailed them back- I was very clear in my original email about my ASD and how that would affect my participation, the main things being that I would need to have someone accompany me (I cannot travel independently- this applies locally too) and that I would not feel comfortable or safe in sharing a room with strangers.
The person I have been talking to is UK based, and as far as I'm aware, the Equality act is based on where you live (I may be wrong!)?

I just really don't know where to go from here, or if I'm expecting too much. Some other organisations I am involved with are happy to make such adjustments- is this one just being difficult, or are the other organisations being 'generous'?

Thanks for your help :smile:
would you be expecting them to meet the extra costs. if so then i dont think you have a case. remember the act only requires reasonable adjustments.
Original post by paulbarlow
would you be expecting them to meet the extra costs. if so then i dont think you have a case. remember the act only requires reasonable adjustments.

Thanks for your input...I have been doing a bit of reading and it says on the citizens advice website that "The Equality Act says you should never be asked to pay for the adjustments". I am just a bit unclear about what constitutes reasonable...Again, from the website it says "The Equality Act says there's a duty to make reasonable adjustments if you’re placed at a substantial disadvantage because of you disability compared to non-disabled people or people who don't share your disability. Substantial means more than minor or trivial". In my case, I would not be able to participate without these accommodations being made, but if they get back to me again tomorrow and still refuse, I'm not really sure where to go from there?
Is there anyone else out there who can offer any help or advice?
By law they have to make reasonable adjustments. Have you asked them to justify their reasons? And have you explained it's not just some want and is actually a need due to your disability?
Reply 7

Under the DDAct, they need to make reasonable adjustments for you, so this basically comes down to "what does reasonable mean?".
I suggest you talk to your doctor and ask for them to write a letter explaining you ASD, how it affects you and how the things you requested would help. I also suggest you ask them (the organisation), what they would deem to be reasonable accommodation.
If you feel that they are being unreasonable then you could make a claim against them for discrimination.
Original post by Tiger Rag
By law they have to make reasonable adjustments. Have you asked them to justify their reasons? And have you explained it's not just some want and is actually a need due to your disability?

Thank you for your response...
I was very clear and up front about it, and in my response to them, I told them I felt I was being unfairly treated and did my best to convey that I was unhappy with the fact they seemed to be regarding my needs as requests or wants. Since you apply to it, they have everything all prebooked and they said they have the rooms booked for 4-6 people and with the limited spaces, they cannot accommodate someone to accompany me. Surely this could be overcome (they might have to overcome it, by law?)? I would never want someone else to miss out because of me, but equally, I am being dismissed based on my disability, rather than how my application compares to those of other applicants, which does not seem fair. Really not sure where to go from here

Original post by Kindred
Under the DDAct, they need to make reasonable adjustments for you, so this basically comes down to "what does reasonable mean?".
I suggest you talk to your doctor and ask for them to write a letter explaining you ASD, how it affects you and how the things you requested would help. I also suggest you ask them (the organisation), what they would deem to be reasonable accommodation.
If you feel that they are being unreasonable then you could make a claim against them for discrimination.

Yeah, that's what I was unsure about. I said above...

I am just a bit unclear about what constitutes reasonable...Again, from the website it says "The Equality Act says there's a duty to make reasonable adjustments if you’re placed at a substantial disadvantage because of you disability compared to non-disabled people or people who don't share your disability. Substantial means more than minor or trivial". In my case, I would not be able to participate without these accommodations being made, but if they get back to me again tomorrow and still refuse, I'm not really sure where to go from there?

Thank you for that advice- I will see what they say tomorrow and then try and get a letter if they are still refusing.
I have had no problem with other organisations allowing for these adjustments, so I don't know whether these other ones are being 'generous' or if this one is being difficult/discriminatory :confused:
Reply 9
Thank you for your response...
I was very clear and up front about it, and in my response to them, I told them I felt I was being unfairly treated and did my best to convey that I was unhappy with the fact they seemed to be regarding my needs as requests or wants. Since you apply to it, they have everything all prebooked and they said they have the rooms booked for 4-6 people and with the limited spaces, they cannot accommodate someone to accompany me. Surely this could be overcome (they might have to overcome it, by law?)? I would never want someone else to miss out because of me, but equally, I am being dismissed based on my disability, rather than how my application compares to those of other applicants, which does not seem fair. Really not sure where to go from here

Yeah, that's what I was unsure about. I said above...

Thank you for that advice- I will see what they say tomorrow and then try and get a letter if they are still refusing.
I have had no problem with other organisations allowing for these adjustments, so I don't know whether these other ones are being 'generous' or if this one is being difficult/discriminatory :confused:

It's difficult to say. You are clearly at some disadvantage due to your ASD, but at the same time, they have pre-booked spaces so you could argue that it isn't reasonable for them to book any more.
Can you think of anything that could enable you to function well enough without needing a second person with you?
The problem is, depending on where they've booked, they may not be able to get a single room for you.

As for someone accompanying you - is this something you can sort yourself?
Okay, so let's focus on what is REASONABLE. You are basically asking for:
- one free flight
- one free place on the conference(?)
- one free set of meals etc(?)
- 3 to 5 free bedroom spaces (so you can share with your companion not with other delegates).

The conference will have costed out what it needs to charge carefully, so that it can make a reasonable profit, and run a successful conference. Your requests are really very very high, when you consider the way that the conference is being organised.

I can completely see why the organisers would take the view that it would not be reasonable to accommodate your needs on this occasion.

If you really want to go then I'd suggest you ask the conference whether you could have a place if you organise and pay for your own accommodation (which will presumably also be the accommodation of your companion), and give you a reduced price on the conference in light of your accommodation being paid for separately by you. It also sounds as though you don't need your companion with you during the day, so make it clear that you're not looking for a second free flight or place on the conference.
Original post by Kindred
It's difficult to say. You are clearly at some disadvantage due to your ASD, but at the same time, they have pre-booked spaces so you could argue that it isn't reasonable for them to book any more.
Can you think of anything that could enable you to function well enough without needing a second person with you?

Yeah, it's a bit of a difficult one- I guess I just need to wait and see what they reply with.
Not really, no...I can't currently travel anywhere independently.

Original post by Tiger Rag
The problem is, depending on where they've booked, they may not be able to get a single room for you.

As for someone accompanying you - is this something you can sort yourself?

It would be my mum that would come (so would be a twin room)...I don't really know where any of this leaves me- I do feel it is unfair, but of course do not expect to have someone else miss out because of me. But, I am being dismissed for my disability and have as much right to the opportunity as anyone else...Why are so many things always like this? :frown:

Thanks both again for your help- it's much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Crumpet1
Okay, so let's focus on what is REASONABLE. You are basically asking for:
- one free flight
- one free place on the conference(?)
- one free set of meals etc(?)
- 3 to 5 free bedroom spaces (so you can share with your companion not with other delegates).

The conference will have costed out what it needs to charge carefully, so that it can make a reasonable profit, and run a successful conference. Your requests are really very very high, when you consider the way that the conference is being organised.

I can completely see why the organisers would take the view that it would not be reasonable to accommodate your needs on this occasion.

If you really want to go then I'd suggest you ask the conference whether you could have a place if you organise and pay for your own accommodation (which will presumably also be the accommodation of your companion), and give you a reduced price on the conference in light of your accommodation being paid for separately by you. It also sounds as though you don't need your companion with you during the day, so make it clear that you're not looking for a second free flight or place on the conference.

Forgive me if I've interpreted the way you've said what you've said wrongly, but I now feel like I'm in the wrong for something I can't help.
As a (not perfect) analogy, some people have very high requirements of the NHS- does that make them any less worthy of using it for free?

It is a programme for young people and they do not make any profit from it- it is funded by the organisation who run it, so it does not present a financial challenge to any young person. As I said above, it says on the citizens advice website that "The Equality Act says you should never be asked to pay for the adjustments". I am just a bit unclear about what constitutes reasonable- there is no definitive answer that I can find...Again, from the website it says "The Equality Act says there's a duty to make reasonable adjustments if you’re placed at a substantial disadvantage because of you disability compared to non-disabled people or people who don't share your disability. Substantial means more than minor or trivial". In my case, I would not be able to participate without these accommodations being made.
@Kindred and @Tiger Rag Do either of you have the powers to delete this thread? I think it's went past where I wanted it to go. Thanks
Forgive me if I've interpreted the way you've said what you've said wrongly, but I now feel like I'm in the wrong for something I can't help.
As a (not perfect) analogy, some people have very high requirements of the NHS- does that make them any less worthy of using it for free?

It is a programme for young people and they do not make any profit from it- it is funded by the organisation who run it, so it does not present a financial challenge to any young person. As I said above, it says on the citizens advice website that "The Equality Act says you should never be asked to pay for the adjustments". I am just a bit unclear about what constitutes reasonable- there is no definitive answer that I can find...Again, from the website it says "The Equality Act says there's a duty to make reasonable adjustments if you’re placed at a substantial disadvantage because of you disability compared to non-disabled people or people who don't share your disability. Substantial means more than minor or trivial". In my case, I would not be able to participate without these accommodations being made.

The point is simply that they have offered X and you cannot do that. You have asked for Y and they have said they can't do that (let's assume they feel your request goes beyond what would be considered reasonable). So if you want to go, you need to think more widely and find something that sits in between X and Y which will meet both parties' needs. There is no point just insisting that you want Y, because they have already said no and you will start putting people's backs up. You will get much much further if you can offer them a new alternative that isn't so expensive for them.

Yes you are entitled to adjustments: but not necessarily the exact adjustments you want in exactly the way you want them.
(edited 6 years ago)
@Kindred and @Tiger Rag Do either of you have the powers to delete this thread? I think it's went past where I wanted it to go. Thanks

Don't have powers here, sorry.

If this was me, I'd ask them what they do for people in your situation. They can sometimes refuse to accommodate your needs if it costs them too much money.

Latest