Turn on thread page Beta

sinfonietta: 222 (GYG 2017-2018) watch

ReputationRep:

222 = second blog in my academic journey, about achieving second year entry into a second under-graduate degree.
    Lebe Deinen Traum = Live Your Dream. Reference to a song of the same name by Blutengel.

Hi, my name’s Tina. I’m 25 and I like fish. A lot. So much that it changed my life. No, I’m really serious!

I have an ordinary degree in Filmmaking and Screenwriting from the University of the West of Scotland, but after taking some time off on formal medical leave for mental health reasons during Honours year I made the decision to not return. Instead I returned to college to do a HNC in Applied Science with the aims of pursuing marine biology. But things happened, my goals changed, and through clearing I decided to return to my alma mater to pursue Applied Biomedical Science. Due to my existing HNC I have been offered second year entry into the course. This blog is to track the journey through this year.

I’m obsessive, impulsive, self-motivated, and a bit of a klutz. I share dumb selfies, pictures of my fish, progress in video games, and probably go a little too deep into my mental health issues at times. I love cosmetics, books, live music, body mods, science, and the amazingly beautiful country that is Germany. I’m an eleven-time NaNoWriMo winner and as of August 2017 a municipal liaison for the Scotland: Elsewhere region.

If you’re interested in reading about my HNC year and the UCAS application highs and lows I blogged frequently about it here: sinfonietta: 3-years-in-1.

Finally, I’d like you to meet Roan.The amazing £4.99 veil tale Betta splenden that changed my life. He unfortunately passed away April 2016, but the impact he had on me in the three short months I had him was incredible and I wouldn’t be where I am, or who I am, if it weren’t for him.

I’ve tagged everyone below who commented at all on my first blog. If you’d like to be notified of blog posts in future, please let me know, as this current list below is more of a 'one-time only' kind of deal to let people know I've moved. (:

furryface12 misstiah_h Vanny17 wolfmoon88 Labrador99 Musicalie Sammylou40 CheeseIsVeg Little Popcorns StrawbAri DeepInTheMeadow DarkEnergy TheBBQ Fox Corner

Post-Tag List
    Separate from above. Let me know if you want to be on this. - sinfonietta.

ReputationRep:
    Qualifications to Date
    2016-2017 - HNC Applied Science - New College Lanarkshire
    2014-2016 - BA Filmmaking and Screenwriting - University of the West of Scotland
    2012-2014 - HND Media and Communication - West College Scotland
    2010-2012 - Highers Programme - Langside College
    2006-2009 - Standard Grades and Highers - Hermitage Academy

BSc Applied Biomedical Science

Semester 1 Modules:
    Core Biomedical Science
    Spoiler:
    Show

TBA

Practical Skills in Biomed and Env Health
    Spoiler:
    Show

TBA

Human Biology
    Spoiler:
    Show

TBA

Semester 2 Modules:
    Cells and Sugars
    Spoiler:
    Show

TBA

Introductory Microbiology
    Spoiler:
    Show

TBA

Genetics
    Spoiler:
    Show

TBA

Non-Academic Goals 17-18
    - Read 52 books.
    - Write 100,000 words of fiction.
    - Go to the gym at least three times a week.
    - Self-study up to SCQF 5 standard of German.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by sinfonietta)

222 = second blog in my academic journey, about achieving second year entry into a second under-graduate degree.
    Lebe Deinen Traum = Live Your Dream. Reference to a song of the same name by Blutengel.

Hi, my name’s Tina. I’m 25 and I like fish. A lot. So much that it changed my life. No, I’m really serious!

I have an ordinary degree in Filmmaking and Screenwriting from the University of the West of Scotland, but after taking some time off on formal medical leave for mental health reasons during Honours year I made the decision to not return. Instead I returned to college to do a HNC in Applied Science with the aims of pursuing marine biology. But things happened, my goals changed, and through clearing I decided to return to my alma mater to pursue Applied Biomedical Science. Due to my existing HNC I have been offered second year entry into the course. This blog is to track the journey through this year.

I’m obsessive, impulsive, self-motivated, and a bit of a klutz. I share dumb selfies, pictures of my fish, progress in video games, and probably go a little too deep into my mental health issues at times. I love cosmetics, books, live music, body mods, science, and the amazingly beautiful country that is Germany. I’m an eleven-time NaNoWriMo winner and as of August 2017 a municipal liaison for the Scotland: Elsewhere region.

If you’re interested in reading about my HNC year and the UCAS application highs and lows I blogged frequently about it here: sinfonietta: 3-years-in-1.

Finally, I’d like you to meet Roan.The amazing £4.99 veil tale Betta splenden that changed my life. He unfortunately passed away April 2016, but the impact he had on me in the three short months I had him was incredible and I wouldn’t be where I am, or who I am, if it weren’t for him.

I’ve tagged everyone below who commented at all on my first blog. If you’d like to be notified of blog posts in future, please let me know, as this current list below is more of a 'one-time only' kind of deal to let people know I've moved. (:

furryface12 misstiah_h Vanny17 wolfmoon88 Labrador99 Musicalie Sammylou40 CheeseIsVeg Little Popcorns StrawbAri DeepInTheMeadow DarkEnergy TheBBQ Fox Corner

Post-Tag List
    Yess keep me in the list :woo:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Waiting for next update......
    Will it be weekly?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Post-Tag List
    Love. This.
    GOO SINFONIETTA :rave: :party:
    :grouphugs: Rooting for you!! Subbed :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Qualifications to Date
    2016-2017 - HNC Applied Science - New College Lanarkshire
    2014-2016 - BA Filmmaking and Screenwriting - University of the West of Scotland
    2012-2014 - HND Media and Communication - West College Scotland
    2010-2012 - Highers Programme - Langside College
    2006-2009 - Standard Grades and Highers - Hermitage Academy

BSc Applied Biomedical Science

Semester 1 Modules:
    Core Biomedical Science
    Spoiler:
    Show

TBA

Practical Skills in Biomed and Env Health
    Spoiler:
    Show

TBA

Human Biology
    Spoiler:
    Show

TBA

Semester 2 Modules:
    Cells and Sugars
    Spoiler:
    Show

TBA

Introductory Microbiology
    Spoiler:
    Show

TBA

Genetics
    Spoiler:
    Show

TBA

Non-Academic Goals 17-18
    - Read 52 books.
    - Write 100,000 words of fiction.
    - Go to the gym at least three times a week.
    - Self-study up to SCQF 5 standard of German.
    Hey Tina! Yes, I would love to be tagged future posts!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yayy you're back :woo: count me in! Still working up the courage for my own one

ReputationRep:
    Yay! I am in! Would love to be tagged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    Waiting for next update......
    Will it be weekly?
    Weekly at a minimum, but it'll potentially be more often.

(Original post by furryface12)
    Yayy you're back :woo: count me in! Still working up the courage for my own one
    Do it do it do it!!!

ReputationRep:
    #01. September 6th 2017

Tuesday was the first of the two inductions I need to attend this week. Yesterday's was specifically for Year 2 Biomedical Science students, and the one tomorrow is going to be for new students in all year groups. I incidentally ended up sitting with other direct year two entrants yesterday though. There are quite a lot of us, so I'm definitely not alone in going into this without any friends. I'm definitely one of the older students but certainly not the oldest. I think it's going to be a good group.

The first thing I became aware of is that this is going to very different from my first degree, despite being at the same university. There was a very relaxed feel to it and no repercussions over missed classes, whereas this department is incredibly formal and we are going to be very closely monitored. We have also been told there are going to be no big exams at the end of the first trimester, but will be smaller tests every 4-5 weeks instead.

A lot of the focus was also on the students selected for the Year 3 placements. They are going to start watching us from the first week of classes and they are going to have the list picked by Christmas. Those who get to do the 15-week NHS laboratory placement will leave with BSc Applied Biomedical Science. The rest will leave with BSc Biomedical Science, which means needing to find a training position following university if we wish to work in NHS labs. I'm a competitive person, so you can bet I'm going to be on my best behaviour. No showing up to class hungover this year!

In other news, as a reward to myself for how far I came in the past year I decided to treat myself to a new tattoo containing the words "Lebe deinen Traum" (Live Your Dream). It was originally booked for later in the month, but due to a cancellation they offered me an 11am time slot yesterday. My induction was at 2pm so I showed up with my arm wrapped in tape and plastic haha. It turned out to be only half the cost of the estimated price, so afterwards I treated myself to a hot lunch, a new pencil case for this year, and one of the new limited edition M.A.C x Nicki Minaj nude lipsticks.

Tag List:
    wolfmoon88 Sammylou40 CheeseIsVeg DeepInTheMeadow furryface12 Vanny17

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Hi! :wavey: Good luck for this year - looking forward to keeping up with it

ReputationRep:
    #01. September 6th 2017

Tuesday was the first of the two inductions I need to attend this week. Yesterday's was specifically for Year 2 Biomedical Science students, and the one tomorrow is going to be for new students in all year groups. I incidentally ended up sitting with other direct year two entrants yesterday though. There are quite a lot of us, so I'm definitely not alone in going into this without any friends. I'm definitely one of the older students but certainly not the oldest. I think it's going to be a good group.

The first thing I became aware of is that this is going to very different from my first degree, despite being at the same university. There was a very relaxed feel to it and no repercussions over missed classes, whereas this department is incredibly formal and we are going to be very closely monitored. We have also been told there are going to be no big exams at the end of the first trimester, but will be smaller tests every 4-5 weeks instead.

A lot of the focus was also on the students selected for the Year 3 placements. They are going to start watching us from the first week of classes and they are going to have the list picked by Christmas. Those who get to do the 15-week NHS laboratory placement will leave with BSc Applied Biomedical Science. The rest will leave with BSc Biomedical Science, which means needing to find a training position following university if we wish to work in NHS labs. I'm a competitive person, so you can bet I'm going to be on my best behaviour. No showing up to class hungover this year!

In other news, as a reward to myself for how far I came in the past year I decided to treat myself to a new tattoo containing the words "Lebe deinen Traum" (Live Your Dream). It was originally booked for later in the month, but due to a cancellation they offered me an 11am time slot yesterday. My induction was at 2pm so I showed up with my arm wrapped in tape and plastic haha. It turned out to be only half the cost of the estimated price, so afterwards I treated myself to a hot lunch, a new pencil case for this year, and one of the new limited edition M.A.C x Nicki Minaj nude lipsticks.

Tag List:
    Wow, sounds intense! Good luck with it all Also, I love your tattoo!!

ReputationRep:
    #01. September 6th 2017

Tag List:
    So cute!! I love your nails, I'm trying to grow them out rn but I cut them at an awkward angle 😂😂
    Best of luck with your studies x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeepInTheMeadow)
    Wow, sounds intense! Good luck with it all Also, I love your tattoo!!
    Thank you!!

(Original post by sunbears)
    So cute!! I love your nails, I'm trying to grow them out rn but I cut them at an awkward angle 😂😂
    Best of luck with your studies x
    Haha, thank you! I need to constantly keep mine painted otherwise they just break.

ReputationRep:
    You've got some serious planning skills, can't say the same about myself! I'm sure you'll do fantastic this year. Look forward to reading more

ReputationRep:
    #02. September 7th 2017

Today was the second induction and I wasn't really looking forward to it. It was for all new entrants to the School of Science and Sport and even though I'm new to this particular school I am not new to the university. The first hour was a bit of a bore for me although I'm sure it was incredibly useful for school leavers. However, in the second hour it got interesting with talks about becoming involved with the UWS Students' Association, the STEM Ambassador Project, the Erasmus programme, and the Languages for All programme offered by the School of Education. Naturally, for anyone who followed my last blog, this sort of stuff is right up my alley!

The Languages for All programme offers the chance to study Arabic, French, Gaelic, German, Mandarin, or Spanish as an optional module. For those of us who are taking six core modules (so no options) this year there is the option to study a language as an extra module for the amazingly low price of £100. For context, a 20 credit module is worth £305 in Scotland. I thought I had lost my chance to formally study German by not getting into my firm choice last month, so it's almost surreal that this opportunity has come along. I'm really hoping I get on the module! The cost doesn't phase me in the slightest. On that note, I also emailed the finance team today to arrange a payment plan (as I'm paying my own tuition fees) and picked up my student ID today.

Despite not wanting to go to the induction today I am really glad I did. The two inductions combined have me feeling really psyched up to begin my new course next week! I have a feeling it's going to be a good year! :excited:

I tried to get into bullet journalling at the start of last academic year, but I abandoned it within two months. However I love looking back at the entries I wrote during the time I did keep it up. I decided to try again given just how much I want hope to have going on this year. I'm going to try stick with it this year. I imagine it'll be a bit more exciting once I actually start my course!

Ew. Time to go repaint my nails.

Tag List:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    #02. September 7th 2017

Today was the second induction and I wasn't really looking forward to it. It was for all new entrants to the School of Science and Sport and even though I'm new to this particular school I am not new to the university. The first hour was a bit of a bore for me although I'm sure it was incredibly useful for school leavers. However, in the second hour it got interesting with talks about becoming involved with the UWS Students' Association, the STEM Ambassador Project, the Erasmus programme, and the Languages for All programme offered by the School of Education. Naturally, for anyone who followed my last blog, this sort of stuff is right up my alley!

The Languages for All programme offers the chance to study Arabic, French, Gaelic, German, Mandarin, or Spanish as an optional module. For those of us who are taking six core modules (so no options) this year there is the option to study a language as an extra module for the amazingly low price of £100. For context, a 20 credit module is worth £305 in Scotland. I thought I had lost my chance to formally study German by not getting into my firm choice last month, so it's almost surreal that this opportunity has come along. I'm really hoping I get on the module! The cost doesn't phase me in the slightest. On that note, I also emailed the finance team today to arrange a payment plan (as I'm paying my own tuition fees) and picked up my student ID today.

Despite not wanting to go to the induction today I am really glad I did. The two inductions combined have me feeling really psyched up to begin my new course next week! I have a feeling it's going to be a good year! :excited:

I tried to get into bullet journalling at the start of last academic year, but I abandoned it within two months. However I love looking back at the entries I wrote during the time I did keep it up. I decided to try again given just how much I want hope to have going on this year. I'm going to try stick with it this year. I imagine it'll be a bit more exciting once I actually start my course!

Tag List:
    omg your handwriting :daydreaming:
    and ur German day titles and stuff and :gah:
    I love it :ahee:

which colour though? :beard:

German sure is a funky language and I wish u every success with it :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    #02. September 7th 2017

Tag List:

Wow, your success so far is amazing. Keep going! You are almost there! I love the fact you took German as well. Ich liebe Deutsch (I love German!). I absolutely love Germany as well. What cities have you visited? I must commend your handwriting as well, it’s very artistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    You've got some serious planning skills, can't say the same about myself! I'm sure you'll do fantastic this year. Look forward to reading more
    I've probably planned to take on too much honestly. But I'd rather plan to take on too much than regret not using my time wisely!

Thank you!

(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    omg your handwriting :daydreaming:
    and ur German day titles and stuff and :gah:
    I love it :ahee:

which colour though? :beard:

German sure is a funky language and I wish u every success with it :hugs:
    That's funny to hear as I can't stand my own handwriting. :lol: I'm hoping that incorporating German into my journal will help cement vocabulary without having to consciously try and memorise it. Also, thank you! :hugs:

The nails? I went with a dark orange: OPI's Living on the Bula-vard! :cool:

(Original post by Vanny17)
    Wow, your success so far is amazing. Keep going! You are almost there! I love the fact you took German as well. Ich liebe Deutsch (I love German!). I absolutely love Germany as well. What cities have you visited? I must commend your handwriting as well, it’s very artistic.
    I've been to Berlin, Cologne, and Kassel so far and I spent a week working on a short film at Herwig-Blankertz vocational school in Hofgeismar (small town near Kassel) as part of an exchange programme in March 2013. Where have you been?

Thank you! :hugs:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I've probably planned to take on too much honestly. But I'd rather plan to take on too much than regret not using my time wisely!

Thank you!

That's funny to hear as I can't stand my own handwriting. :lol: I'm hoping that incorporating German into my journal will help cement vocabulary without having to consciously try and memorise it. Also, thank you! :hugs:

The nails? I went with a dark orange: OPI's Living on the Bula-vard! :cool:

I've been to Berlin, Cologne, and Kassel so far and I spent a week working on a short film at Herwig-Blankertz vocational school in Hofgeismar (small town near Kassel) as part of an exchange programme in March 2013. Where have you been?

Thank you! :hugs:
    Whaaaaaat?! :eek3: Your handwriting is perfect :love:
    It's a great idea! I think it will help! I used to write my diary in french and stuff really started to sink in :yy:

I love it :heart:

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.