Russian School Hostages Watch

This discussion is closed.
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Finally. They had 2 days where they didn't receive any food and drink, and that was pretty worrying, but now the hostages are out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3624024.stm

Many of the people came out bloodied after another explosion.
Niaya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
thank god are you sure?
Xenon
Rep:
?
(Original post by angel D)
thank god are you sure?
Check the link. Some of the hostage takers were shot dead while trying to escape.
braders89
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
or just turn on your tele, bbc1,C4,SkyNews....
what is this world coming to.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Another link for info on the situation

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...211973,00.html

Looks like 10 people have died and 200 are in hospital. Lets hope it doesnt turn out like the Moscow theatre seige.
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And up to 13 of them with hostages possibly have headed for a train junction, BBC news 24 has taken over BBC1 since I woke up, so around 10am at least.

Some are held up in houses outside of the school, the Russians obviously didn't have a very good net around it all.

But in support of the above, the school is most likely cleared of children now. Unknown number of injuries.
Xenon
Rep:
?
120 children have been injured, and about 13 of the hostage takers have got away, unless the police managed to bring down some of them. Edit: I guess the number of wouded children is between 120 and 200.
LifeWired
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Considering how determined the hostage takers were, and the threat posed to both hostages indiscriminately and also to russian forces, it could could have been much worse.

It may well have ended up being a tactical, as opposed to a political decision. It certainly seemed as though it didn't fit into the military's plan.

We shall see in the aftermath as always.
Xenon
Rep:
?
(Original post by LifeWired)
Considering how determined the hostage takers were, and the threat posed to both hostages indiscriminately and also to russian forces, it could could have been much worse.

It may well have ended up being a tactical, as opposed to a political decision. It certainly seemed as though it didn't fit into the military's plan.

We shall see in the aftermath as always.
I was very worried about the facts that they carried into the school so many explosives, and seriously thought that they would blow up the whole schools, resultng in hundreds of deaths. I am relieved that although they did strike, the blow was not as severe, and hopefully, most of the hostages will be alright, at least physically.
FallenSpirit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm glad they've started being released/rescued. It was/is a horrible situation.
thephenom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I'm surprised some of the terrorists managed to escape. I would of expected the school to of been circled with armed forces and helicopters.

Awful scenes on tv, kids dead, just left in the street with white sheets layed on top of them.
Xenon
Rep:
?
(Original post by thephenom)

I'm surprised some of the terrorists managed to escape. I would of expected the school to of been circled with armed forces and helicopters.

Awful scenes on tv, kids dead, just left in the street with white sheets layed on top of them.
Yeah, 5 children dead! Absolutely horrible. :mad:
hossy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think there are more people left in the school
Xenon
Rep:
?
The news said that the 13 hostage takers had barricaded themselves inside a nearby house, which is surrounded by Russian troops.
LifeWired
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by thephenom)

That was a surprising development. Though I suspect that in the confusion of seeing to the treatment of hostages many hostage takers would have escaped. This is not good at all. I'm also glad that, at least so far, the casualty rate hasn't been as high as it could've been. Difficult days for Putin ahead, yet again.
Xenon
Rep:
?
(Original post by hossy)
I think there are more people left in the school
They will be rescued hopefully by the troops.
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The hostage takers must have felt very strongly about something to go to such lengths to be heard.
LifeWired
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Everdawn)
The hostage takers must have felt very strongly about something to go to such lengths to be heard.
Chechnya.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What a relief. Anyone have any idea what sparked it off? Just a few days before they said they weren't going to storm the place by force, and now, they have done the complete opposite. Did an explosive go off, then upon initiative decided to storm? If so, that would explain the absence of ambulances/doctors/resources/etc. If not, then it's simply poor planning.

180 Wounded, 10 dead. Hmm, thank God we have the SAS.
LifeWired
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
180 Wounded, 10 dead. Hmm, thank God we have the SAS.
This would've been difficult even for the SAS. Let's not underestimate the professionalism of the Russian Special Forces.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1527)
79.28%
Leave (399)
20.72%

Watched Threads