Turn on thread page Beta

Russian School Hostages watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_girl)
    I think you're the first person to think that if Russia pulls out of Chechnya, it'll mean that the terrorists have won...Most people would simply say that Putin had no right to start war with Chechnya in the first place...which he -did- do...
    Also, it's not a coincidence that all of this happened after the elections in Chechnya!
    i agree with you

Though im always against violence and war , the chechen act in the school came as no surprise . Russia had been commiting war crimes in checnya since the times of boris yeltsin . They waged two unjust wars ( Maybe the first one had some basis , definitely not the one started by putin ) , and ticked off a whole country .

ReputationRep:
    right...on russian tv they have just announced that more than 800 people are seriously injured and 200+ have already died...They don't show 1/2 the things on BBC that show on russian tv...

Oh and the school is in North Ossetia, so 90% of the people aren't Russian anyway :confused: This is supposed to be Chechnya's way of showing Russia that they have other supporters, after what happened during the elections??

Who believes that Chechnya should have independence from Russia??? This is not -my- opinion, but the problem with giving Chechnya independence is that there are hundreds of (semi)autonomic republics in Russia that would instantly demand independence. Assyrians, for exmaple(after all, 1/2 of the people in Ossetia are Assyrian...) And there are soooo many of them! And what about Tatarstan?!?!?! And the situation in Georgia, with Adjara.

ReputationRep:
    In fact, there would be nothing left of Russia!!!

ReputationRep:
    right...on russian tv they have just announced that more than 800 people are seriously injured and 200+ have already died...They don't show 1/2 the things on BBC that show on russian tv...

Oh and the school is in North Ossetia, so 90% of the people aren't Russian anyway :confused: This is supposed to be Chechnya's way of showing Russia that they have other supporters, after what happened during the elections??

Who believes that Chechnya should have independence from Russia??? This is not -my- opinion, but the problem with giving Chechnya independence is that there are hundreds of (semi)autonomic republics in Russia that would instantly demand independence. Assyrians, for exmaple(after all, 1/2 of the people in Ossetia are Assyrian...) And there are soooo many of them! And what about Tatarstan?!?!?! And the situation in Georgia, with Adjara.
    HTV (NTV in english) is quoting figures of 322 dead so far and at least 155 of them are children

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Сossack)
    HTV (NTV in english) is quoting figures of 322 dead so far and at least 155 of them are children
    Oh yes...I don't have NTV. This is just what they said on ORT/RTR. Jesus Christ :eek:

ReputationRep:
    They were just showing the school on RTR Planet now...but all they show on BBC is how they dont have water in Chechnya and those children...there are loads of places like that in Russia :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I think you're the first person to think that if Russia pulls out of Chechnya, it'll mean that the terrorists have won...Most people would simply say that Putin had no right to start war with Chechnya in the first place...which he -did- do...
    Also, it's not a coincidence that all of this happened after the elections in Chechnya!
    How can you possibly blame this on putin. It was the coward acts of muslim terrorists from not only chechnya but other arab countries. enough is enough its time for the russians to use some of those 1000's of tanks they have and level chechnya.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    How can you possibly blame this on putin. It was the coward acts of muslim terrorists from not only chechnya but other arab countries. .
    If u have ever read any history , it was the russians who were commiting war crimes in chechnya long before any attacks by the chechens . if u have ever seen tv ull understand how yeltsin and putin commited war crimes just as bad as hitler ( without the concentration camps offcourse but just as bad) . I dont blame the chechens for being ticked off at all . What they did was infinitely wrong , innocents should never be killed in a war . I dont think al qaeda had anything to do with this . Because , the weapons used by the hostage takers were primitive bombs filled with shrapnel . Typical of poor terrorists , if they had outside help they would have had more sophisticated weapons .
    its time for the russians to use some of those 1000's of tanks they have and level chechnya.
    it was thinking like that tht started this horrific tragedy in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    If u have ever read any history , it was the russians who were commiting war crimes in chechnya long before any attacks by the chechens . if u have ever seen tv ull understand how yeltsin and putin commited war crimes just as bad as hitler ( without the concentration camps offcourse but just as bad) . I dont blame the chechens for being ticked off at all . What they did was infinitely wrong , innocents should never be killed in a war . I dont think al qaeda had anything to do with this . Because , the weapons used by the hostage takers were primitive bombs filled with shrapnel . Typical of poor terrorists , if they had outside help they would have had more sophisticated weapons .

it was thinking like that tht started this horrific tragedy in the first place
    its funny how you compare putin and yeltsin to the nazi war crimes when it was the chechens who co-operated with the nazis and were subsequently exiled to kazakhstan. I guess stalin didnt do enough because they are still causing problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    It was the coward acts of muslim terrorists
    i dont think it was cowardly, just an act of faith for their religion. those muslims have been brainwashed.
    its crazy everything they have done, which is why i have always said religion is a powerful thing if its not handled carefully...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    i dont think it was cowardly, just an act of faith for their religion. those muslims have been brainwashed.
    its crazy everything they have done, which is why i have always said religion is a powerful thing if its not handled carefully...
    thats wht religion doesnt belong anywhere in the first place, how can people believe in a god that allows hundreds of children to die on the first day of school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    thats wht religion doesnt belong anywhere in the first place, how can people believe in a god that allows hundreds of children to die on the first day of school
    like i said, the people have been brainwashed into doing horrible things. in their minds, what they are doing is for the good of their religion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    its funny how you compare putin and yeltsin to the nazi war crimes when it was the chechens who co-operated with the nazis and were subsequently exiled to kazakhstan. I guess stalin didnt do enough because they are still causing problems.
    Men especially face grave difficulties when attempting to flee areas of fighting: they are subjected to verbal taunting, extortion, theft, beatings, and arbitrary arrest. On several occasions, refugee convoys have come under intense bombardment by Russian forces, causing heavy casualties. Currently, tens of thousands of civilians remain trapped in the Argun river gorge in Southern Chechnya, stuck behind Russian lines without a way out from the constant bombardment and rapidly running out of food supplies.

If you dont call that a strong enough case for accusing Yeltsin and Putin of being responsible then i dont know what you define a war crime . These people are helpless .

Same case in kashmir where mujahideen fight because some idiot soldiers ( not all of them are bad mind you ) rape their women .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    these people have no real idea of thier own religion , Islam does not allow killing of innocent people in war , not even when they are of a different religion . Thats the truth no matter what stupid propoganda website says

ReputationRep:
    Men especially face grave difficulties when attempting to flee areas of fighting: they are subjected to verbal taunting, extortion, theft, beatings, and arbitrary arrest. On several occasions, refugee convoys have come under intense bombardment by Russian forces, causing heavy casualties. Currently, tens of thousands of civilians remain trapped in the Argun river gorge in Southern Chechnya, stuck behind Russian lines without a way out from the constant bombardment and rapidly running out of food supplies.

If you dont call that a strong enough case for accusing Yeltsin and Putin of being responsible then i dont know what you define a war crime . These people are helpless .

Same case in kashmir where mujahideen fight because some idiot soldiers ( not all of them are bad mind you ) rape their women .
    i define a war crime as killing children and women while they go to school for a party, and hence the heartless chechens are war criminals. Ok ill get lots of negative rep for this but your dont see russians blowing themselves up in germany for what happened in ww2, you dont see ukranians blowing up russians for what has happened in the past, you dont see the chinese blowing up the japanese ect ect ect all you see is a bunch of fundamentalist chechens and other muslim holy fighters trying to destroy the civilized world.

ReputationRep:
    these people have no real idea of thier own religion , Islam does not allow killing of innocent people in war , not even when they are of a different religion . Thats the truth no matter what stupid propoganda website says
    thats not from a propaganda website, i am just telling you why i am an atheist. i never said islam allows people to kill, but thats all religion does in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    i define a war crime as killing children and women while they go to school for a party, and hence the heartless chechens are war criminals. Ok ill get lots of negative rep for this but your dont see russians blowing themselves up in germany for what happened in ww2, you dont see ukranians blowing up russians for what has happened in the past, you dont see the chinese blowing up the japanese ect ect ect all you see is a bunch of fundamentalist chechens and other muslim holy fighters trying to destroy the civilized world.
    in fact russians got their revenge by capturing POW's from germany and torturing them in prisons . As usual none of that is recorded . Ukranians wont fight russia because they have a silent truce , and chinese and japanese people dont have any hostility in the recent past .

Russians dont kidnap ukranian women and children and rape them , they do that to the chechens . Russians dont bomb Ukraine daily and kill every able man like they do in chechnya.

Putin is proving hes just an ******* like milosevic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    all you see is a bunch of fundamentalist chechens and other muslim holy fighters trying to destroy the civilized world.
    i also see the Basque terrorist organization ETA in spain

ReputationRep:
    in fact russians got their revenge by capturing POW's from germany and torturing them in prisons . As usual none of that is recorded . Ukranians wont fight russia because they have a silent truce , and chinese and japanese people dont have any hostility in the recent past .

Russians dont kidnap ukranian women and children and rape them , they do that to the chechens . Russians dont bomb Ukraine daily and kill every able man like they do in chechnya.

Putin is proving hes just an ******* like milosevic
    the real *******s here are the chechens.. in the first chechen war the they did the same thing, they took control of a hospital and 1000 hostages. The chechens also tortured and executed captured russian soldiers and pro-federalist chechens. Then in the second chechen war was started by the CHECHENS when they used osama bin ladens money to leave chenchnya and fight the russians in a bordering province. Then when there attack failed they resorted to blowing up apartment blocks in moscow. And recently of course we have the theatre hostages, the subway bombings, the car bombings and the plane bombings.

Chechnya started this seconf war its time for the russians to end it. Maybe they should redesignate chechnya into the atomic test zone instead of siberia.

ReputationRep:
    CASUALTY FIGURES:

Russia--As of January, 2000, Russia admitted to 1,173 casualties. Independent media sources however, report Russian losses at closer to 3,000 dead.
    Chechnya-- Unknown, but civilian deaths are thought to exceed 50,000

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.