The Student Room Group

Free Periods

Hi, I do 3 A-levels, whereas my friends are doing 4 A-levels, would I get much more free periods than them or is it possible that we can have the same amount in a week. Also, can you get free periods anytime of the day or is it usually before breaktime and lunchtime.
Any answers are appreciated, I'm just curious lol :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I do 3 A-levels, whereas my friends are doing 4 A-levels, would I get much more free periods than them or is it possible that we can have the same amount in a week. Also, can you get free periods anytime of the day or is it usually before breaktime and lunchtime.

You get a lot more free periods when you do 3 A-Levels (you won't be having the same amount in a week)

The time of your free period depends on your timetable and there are usually specifically allocated times; it is not necessarily before lunch or break.

Also, just an advice for starting Year 12 :smile:
A lot of people have the tendency to relax (or go out) and become unproductive during many free periods. Try to see them as Learning Periods rather than Free Periods, because it is much better use of time if you write revision notes and do homework etc. The more you do at school, the less you do at home
You will have more frees than your friends if you do less subjects. You may even have a day where you just have one lesson. Your frees can be whenever sometimes they are first thing at 9am and sometimes last at the end of the day. It really just depends on the timetabling of your lessons.

Probably best to think of them as Study Periods rather than Free Periods. Yes, you'll have more.
Reply 4
Thank you, rep to all, also, are there lessons for EPQ? :h:

Depends on your school/college. Most offer at least some tuition to get you started.
Reply 6

I don't do EPQ, but there is usually a brief of some sort to introduce the project. I think you are allocated a supervisor who you meet on occasions, where they monitor your progress.
In my school if you only take 3 subjects in year 12 then you have 'study periods' to make up the difference where you are supervised by a teacher in a quiet room to make sure you're working.
I have no free period!

Quick Reply