The Student Room Group

The Michiyo Mysteries

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Michiyo

x

PRSOM :hugs:

Hope everything goes well for you!
[video="youtube;pXRviuL6vMY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXRviuL6vMY[/video]
Reply 82
Original post by IKEAPanda37
Awwwwwww ty :jumphug:

You're extrmemely welcome :yep: Hmmmmmmm its a bit of both :tongue: bc theres is a lot of amazingness in you :gah:
Ooh I like it :yep: Im sure you will definitely have a year of magnificent memories :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

No problem :h: OMG I hope that doesn't happen either :frown:

YASSSS positivité!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party:

:lovehug:

You are more than welcome :jumphug:

You flatter me :fan: There is a lot of 'amazingness' in you too, Callie :heart:

I hope so :moon:

Same :sad:

:woo:

Original post by ClearSky II
PRSOM :hugs:

Hope everything goes well for you!

Thank you, I hope everything goes well for you too! :lovehug:

Original post by 04MR17
[video="youtube;pXRviuL6vMY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXRviuL6vMY[/video]

I knew I should have linked it :rofl:
Original post by Michiyo
I knew I should have linked it :rofl:
Know because you've actually given me an idea.:wink: So thank you.:mmm:
Reply 84
Original post by 04MR17
Know because you've actually given me an idea.:wink: So thank you.:mmm:

You are more than welcome, then :lovehug: Care to share? :awesome:
Reply 85
Original post by Michiyo

Entry 1 Stressed Out

Title: ‘Stressed Out’ by Twenty-One Pilots
Period of time: 17th August-6th September
Mood: Tense
Smiley:

I. Clearing
I had to go through Clearing. While I cannot say that I was very prepared with university numbers, I managed to get four offers and chose Essex.

II. Documents for university and SFE
Getting all the documents I needed for university and SFE was extremely troublesome because some of them were with my mother (she lives in the UK), most of them needed to get legalised copies made off them, some of them needed to be translated and/or scanned, and I did not even HAVE some of them *cough*my IGCSE English Language certificate*cough* in the first place.

My mother sent off my application from the UK on the 31st because I did not find any next day delivery service from Romania to the UK. Sadly, I had to send my original AS results to SFE as proof that I attended a UK state school. Also, I accidentally wrote an incorrect address and put down that I am eligible for a bursary from my university, only to find out that I am not, so I need to call SFE and fix that.

III. Accommodation and living
I had to move houses on the 1st, but since I am leaving soon, I just moved into my second oldest sister’s (whom I will refer to as SII Sister II) place. I applied for accommodation after the guaranteed accommodation date, so I might have to look for a room to rent if I do not get any accommodation.

IV. Finance
I have to wait until I come to the UK to get a bank account and National Insurance number.

V. Coming to the UK
SII bought my plane ticket yesterday. I am coming to the UK on the 19th!

VI. Miscellaneous
I have quite a few new clothes for university.

I enrolled today because I did not have my Essex email address before, but now that I do, I picked my modules. I have 60(!) credits’ worth of optional modules from any department I want!

None of the remaining politics and international relations modules interested me, so I went for two 30 credits modules: a history module which covers 1450-1750 Europe and a beginner’s German module. I will find out if I get the modules I want tomorrow, when I get my timetable.

TL;DR: Clearing. Problems with certificates, university, documents, SFE, accommodation, enrolment, and moving houses. Finally more or less solved!

Spoiler

Yay good to hear that you're coming over :h: Congrats :biggrin:
Reply 86
Original post by UWS
Yay good to hear that you're coming over :h: Congrats :biggrin:

Thank you! :lovehug: And I will be close to you too :awesome:
Reply 87

Entry 2 Spite of Despondence

Title: ‘Endymion’ by John Keats
Period of time: 7th-18th September
Mood: Neutral
Smiley: :indiff:

I. Accommodation
Essex announced me that it is unlikely I will get accommodation. :sad: I called them and it did not help. :s-smilie: I emailed a few potential landlords and received a reply from two landlords who have available rooms in my price range, though. :smile:

II. University
My place for the modules I chose was confirmed! :party2: I also applied to study Japanese through Languages for All. :colondollar:

My modules (including Languages for All) are:
- Introduction to International Relations (core)
- Co-Operation and Conflict (core)
- Scientific Reasoning for the Social Sciences (compulsory)
- Comparative Political Analysis (compulsory)
- Career Portfolio (compulsory; 0 credits :grumble: )
- Europe Transformed: 1450-1750 (optional)
- Initial German (optional)
- Japanese (Languages for All)

In addition, I joined the Jiu Jitsu Club. :giggle: I have no prior experience with jiu jitsu, but I have wanted to learn a martial art for six years now. :blushing:

Unfortunately, I have a timetable clash in week 8, so I have asked for a class change. :sigh:

III. SFE and National Insurance number
I could not schedule an appointment for a National Insurance number since I am not in the UK yet. I had some trouble with SFE (:grumble:) and was quite irritable over the weekend due to this, but today, I found out my application has finally been processed! :woo: They asked for more evidence (which I have already sent…), but that is okay. :biggrin: I can board the plane to the UK without worrying! :dance:

A huge thank you to @04MR17 for being my free good advice and support helpline during this entire nightmare, to @CheeseIsVeg for being so lovely and supportive, and to them, @Jack22031994, and @IKEAPanda37 for being their awesome selves and bearing with my constant rants. :grouphugs:

IV. The Bucharest Street Food Festival Carnival
On the 9th, I went to the Bucharest Street Food Festival Carnival with SII and her boyfriend. It was amazing! :eating:

I tried shoyu ramen and karaage chicken. Shoyu ramen tasted more like fish than I expected, but it was tolerable even to someone who does not eat fish like me. :biggrin: The karaage chicken (served with hot sauce) was good too! :smile:

Shoyu ramen

Karaage chicken
rsz_tori_karaage_by_clanchou_in_kanazawapct2c_ishikawa.jpg

I made my own ice cream flavour: kiwi, cantaloupe, and coconut flakes! :drool: The vendor and SII looked at me as if I was crazy, but it was delicious. :u: The ice cream was made by pouring the ice cream mix and flavours on some big metal plate, then one of the workers would beat them until they became homogenous and froze. :gah: Besides that, I ate a boiled corn and a waffle with Nutella, coconut, and almonds and drank a non-alcoholic cocktail with yuzu, lemon, lime, and pineapple. :coma:

A cool thing we got was a free beer bottle with my and my sister’s picture on it. :mmm: (Do not drink before you are of legal age and drink responsibly, kids!)

V. Countryside
This weekend, I was at the countryside to visit my paternal family whom I have either never met or only met once when I was five. SIII and I were not keen on going there. We only agreed to go because I am going to Essex and our paternal grandmother was scared she will die before she sees me.

I discovered many things about my family in the process. My family is even more scattered than I thought! Turns out I have relatives not only in England, Spain, and Sweden, but also in Germany and Belgium. Secondly, my paternal grandmother was a boyar‘s daughter! :shock: (A boyar was part of the aristocracy. They owned land and serfs and had an administrative and/or military position.) Quite a few of my paternal ancestors were engineers, too. My father looked like and was a huge bully when he was a child. One of my cousins has the same first and last names as me. And best of all, I visited the second paternal half-sister (SIV Sister Four, because she will never top the three sisters I have always had in my life) I did not know on the third birthday of the nephew I never knew about! :zomg: I am still getting used to the idea that I have a paternal grandmother, uncles, cousins, one more sister, and a nephew. :laugh:

VI. Amusement Park
SII and I went to an amusement park today! :smile: We rode the bumper cars four times, the roller coaster twice, the mini train roller coaster twice, and the octopus once. The octopus made me dizzy and the roller coaster did a bit too (it was better the second time). We had lots of fun with the bumper cars and to my surprise, I am way better at driving them than I thought! :gasp: We did not hit other cars except for when we wanted, managed to do high fives while driving, drove side to side without hitting anything, and I even managed to very narrowly avoid bumping into two cars when one was on my left and one was on my right. :proud:

VII. Miscellaneous
My laptop is finally repaired. :adore:

I tried an avocado for the first time ever on the 11th. It was not that bad, actually. :grin:

I have been spending a lot of time with SIII (my third older sister, who is turning twenty next month). :love: We watched TV and ate pepperoni, chicken, and ham pizza on the 12th and made spaghetti Bolognese together on the 13th, to exemplify. :daydreaming:

Thus, the Romanian side of my adventures has reached its conclusion! :party:

TL;DR: No accommodation, confirmed modules, SFE trouble solved, waiting to apply for a National Insurance number, a food festival, new relatives, an amusement park, repaired laptop, spending time with my family, coming to the UK tomorrow.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Michiyo

I. Accommodation
Essex announced me that it is unlikely I will get accommodation. :sad: I called them and it did not help. :s-smilie: I emailed a few potential landlords and received a reply from two landlords who have available rooms in my price range, though. :smile:

II. University
My place for the modules I chose was confirmed! :party2: I also applied to study Japanese through Languages for All. :colondollar:

In addition, I joined the Jiu Jitsu Club. :giggle: I have no prior experience with jiu jitsu, but I have wanted to learn a martial art for six years now. :blushing:

Unfortunately, I have a timetable clash in week 8, so I have asked for a class change. :sigh:

I could not schedule an appointment for a National Insurance number since I am not in the UK yet. I had some trouble with SFE (:grumble:) and was quite irritable over the weekend due to this, but today, I found out my application has finally been processed! :woo: They asked for more evidence (which I have already sent…), but that is okay. :biggrin: I can board the plane to the UK without worrying! :dance:

A huge thank you to @04MR17 for being my free good advice and support helpline during this entire nightmare, to @CheeseIsVeg for being so lovely and supportive, and to them, @Jack22031994, and @IKEAPanda37 for being their awesome selves and bearing with my constant rants. :grouphugs:

On the 9th, I went to the Bucharest Street Food Festival Carnival with SII and her boyfriend. It was amazing! :eating:

I tried shoyu ramen and karaage chicken. Shoyu ramen tasted more like fish than I expected, but it was tolerable even to someone who does not eat fish like me. :biggrin: The karaage chicken (served with hot sauce) was good too! :smile:

Shoyu ramen

Karaage chicken

I made my own ice cream flavour: kiwi, cantaloupe, and coconut flakes! :drool: The vendor and SII looked at me as if I was crazy, but it was delicious. :u: The ice cream was made by pouring the ice cream mix and flavours on some big metal plate, then one of the workers would beat them until they became homogenous and froze. :gah: Besides that, I ate a boiled corn and a waffle with Nutella, coconut, and almonds and drank a non-alcoholic cocktail with yuzu, lemon, lime, and pineapple. :coma:

A cool thing we got was a free beer bottle with my and my sister’s picture on it. :mmm: (Do not drink before you are of legal age and drink responsibly, kids!)

V. Countryside
This weekend, I was at the countryside to visit my paternal family whom I have either never met or only met once when I was five. SIII and I were not keen on going there. We only agreed to go because I am going to Essex and our paternal grandmother was scared she will die before she sees me.

I discovered many things about my family in the process. My family is even more scattered than I thought! Turns out I have relatives not only in England, Spain, and Sweden, but also in Germany and Belgium. Secondly, my paternal grandmother was a boyar‘s daughter! :shock: (A boyar was part of the aristocracy. They owned land and serfs and had an administrative and/or military position. ) Quite a few of my paternal ancestors were engineers, too. My father looked like and was a huge bully when he was a child. One of my cousins has the same first and last names as me. And best of all, I visited the second paternal half-sister (SIV Sister Four, because she will never top the three sisters I have always had in my life) I did not know on the third birthday of the nephew I never knew about! :zomg: I am still getting used to the idea that I have a paternal grandmother, uncles, cousins, one more sister, and a nephew. :laugh:

VI. Amusement Park
SII and I went to an amusement park today! :smile: We rode the bumper cars four times, the roller coaster twice, the mini train roller coaster twice, and the octopus once. The octopus made me dizzy and the roller coaster did a bit too (it was better the second time). We had lots of fun with the bumper cars and to my surprise, I am way better at driving them than I thought! :gasp: We did not hit other cars except for when we wanted, managed to do high fives while driving, drive side to side without hitting anything, and I even managed to very narrowly avoid bumping into two cars when one was to my left and one was to my right. :proud:

VII. Miscellaneous

I tried an avocado for the first time ever on the 11th. It was not that bad, actually. :grin:

I have been spending a lot of time with SIII (my third older sister, who is turning twenty next month). :love: We watched TV and ate pepperoni, chicken, and ham pizza on the 12th and made spaghetti Bolognese together on the 13th, to exemplify. :daydreaming:

TL;DR: No accommodation, confirmed modules, SFE trouble solved, waiting to apply for a National Insurance number, a food festival, new relatives, an amusement park, repaired laptop, spending time with my family, coming to the UK tomorrow.

Spoiler

You've done so many cool things!! I really hope your accommodation and stuff is sorted ASAP. If I can be of any help of course let me know :yep: So excited you're coming over here!! :hugs:
karaage chicken:coma:

Original post by Michiyo
A huge thank you to @04MR17 for being my free good advice and support helpline during this entire nightmare, to @CheeseIsVeg for being so lovely and supportive, and to them, @Jack22031994, and @IKEAPanda37 for being their awesome selves and bearing with my constant rants. :grouphugs:our paternal grandmother was scared she will die before she sees me.
You still resisted me every step of the way.:shakecane: Even Doris doesn't resist as much as you!
Original post by Michiyo
I discovered many things about my family in the process. My family is even more scattered than I thought! Turns out I have relatives not only in England, Spain, and Sweden, but also in Germany and Belgium.
:woohoo:
Original post by Michiyo
[video="youtube;0dcbw4IEY5w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dcbw4IEY5w[/video]

Spoiler

Neat-o Burrito, everything sounds great.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by chelseadagg3r
You've done so many cool things!! I really hope your accommodation and stuff is sorted ASAP. If I can be of any help of course let me know :yep: So excited you're coming over here!! :hugs:

Aww, thank you! :blush: I was contemplating not writing about them, but all those things I did were because I am leaving and we wanted to make as many memories as possible before then, so it does count as preparation for university for me as a foreign student. :smile:

You kind soul :fan: I hope so too :moon: I will, thank you! :adore: The same goes to you :hugs:

Same! :grin: I cannot wait for my course to start :love:

Original post by 04MR17
karaage chicken:coma:

You still resisted me every step of the way.:shakecane: Even Doris doesn't resist as much as you!:woohoo:[video="youtube;0dcbw4IEY5w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dcbw4IEY5w[/video]

IKR? :coma: It was delicious. :daydreaming:

Are you insinuating that I am difficult? :cry2:

I take it you have relatives there too? :teehee:

Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
Neat-o Burrito, everything sounds great.
Good luck :smile:

Thank you! :hat2:
Original post by Michiyo
IKR? :coma: It was delicious. :daydreaming:

Are you insinuating that I am difficult? :cry2:

I take it you have relatives there too? :teehee:
:drool:

No. Just very very hard to persuade.:colonhash:

:nah: I just love the country.:love: Scandinavia might be my future home...:daydreaming:
Reply 93
Original post by 04MR17
:drool:

No. Just very very hard to persuade.:colonhash:

:nah: I just love the country.:love: Scandinavia might be my future home...:daydreaming:

I am very stubborn indeed :tongue:

Sounds cool :gah: But you will have to learn Swedish :giggle:
Original post by Michiyo
I am very stubborn indeed :tongue:

Sounds cool :gah: But you will have to learn Swedish :giggle:
:nope: They speak English in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark.:biggrin:
Original post by Michiyo

I. Accommodation

II. University

Shoyu ramen

Karaage chicken

V. Countryside

I discovered many things about my family in the process. My family is even more scattered than I thought! Turns out I have relatives not only in England, Spain, and Sweden, but also in Germany and Belgium. Secondly, my paternal grandmother was a boyar‘s daughter! :shock: (A boyar was part of the aristocracy. They owned land and serfs and had an administrative and/or military position.) Quite a few of my paternal ancestors were engineers, too. My father looked like and was a huge bully when he was a child. One of my cousins has the same first and last names as me. And best of all, I visited the second paternal half-sister (SIV Sister Four, because she will never top the three sisters I have always had in my life) I did not know on the third birthday of the nephew I never knew about! :zomg: I am still getting used to the idea that I have a paternal grandmother, uncles, cousins, one more sister, and a nephew. :laugh:

VI. Amusement Park
SII and I went to an amusement park today! :smile: We rode the bumper cars four times, the roller coaster twice, the mini train roller coaster twice, and the octopus once. The octopus made me dizzy and the roller coaster did a bit too (it was better the second time). We had lots of fun with the bumper cars and to my surprise, I am way better at driving them than I thought! :gasp: We did not hit other cars except for when we wanted, managed to do high fives while driving, drove side to side without hitting anything, and I even managed to very narrowly avoid bumping into two cars when one was on my left and one was on my right. :proud:

VII. Miscellaneous

Spoiler

Aww, you sound so close to your sisters! :hugs:
Sounds like you had a great time :five:

Never eaten an avocado before :lolwut: ?

How old is your grandmother if you don't mind me asking? :biggrin:
Original post by 04MR17
:nope: They speak English in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark.:biggrin:

Thats no excuse :colonhash:

Original post by Michiyo

I. Accommodation

II. University

Shoyu ramen

Karaage chicken

V. Countryside

VI. Amusement Park

VII. Miscellaneous

Spoiler

MICHIYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jumphug: :jumphug: :jumphug: :jumphug: :jumphug:
Great that your SFE stuff is all sorted out :woo: And dont worry, I did it when I couldnt find my NI number so I cant say anything really :giggle: We still lov you :lovehug:

Ooh jinjitsu, very cool :yep:
And yay at being able to do both German and Japanese :party:

OMG that karaage chickn looks delicious :drool:
Amd the ice cream sounds interesting too :tongue: Cantelope is melon right? (i dont like melon :hide:)
Im just jealous you went to a food festival, i think we had one but couldnt go to it :frown:

Nice at meeting new relatives :yep: I find parties for people you dont even know really awkward :lol: But food and drink is always good :giggle:

Amusment parks = :eek: :eek2: :eek3: :eek4:
Not a fan of rides tbh altho once on holiday last year I made myself go on the water chute 3 times in an attempt to face my fears
Love bumper cars tho :gah: Went on them ofr the first time this year in ages and remembered why theyre so cool :biggrin:

Good that youve been spending time with your sister before you leave :yep:
I wish you a lovely flight to the UK :hugs:
Wait did you mean today as tomorrow or tomorrow tomorrow? :confused:
Prsom :frown:
:hugs: safe journey
Always here for u :love:

Original post by Michiyo

I. Accommodation

II. University

Shoyu ramen

Karaage chicken

V. Countryside

VI. Amusement Park

VII. Miscellaneous

Spoiler

Note to self: do not insult @Michiyo 's odd taste in ice cream or she will beat you up with her new found martial arts skill.

Spoiler

Avocado is life! All hail the mighty avocado! (I like avocado)
Try it with scrambled egg and toast or mozzarella, tomato and gnocchi. You will not regret it. :biggrin:

Super excited to have you in the same country! Welcome to England! (for whenever you get here) :nyan:
Hope you have a safe journey @Michiyo :hugs: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending