How can I get an A* in OCR a level biology Watch

Butterflyshy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got a B in my as internal exam and really want to get an A*. I have struggled a lot with the calculations and application questions.I am doing the new spec and wanted to get some advice as I am willing to put the work in.
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Micheal Gove is such a ****
HamedxAli
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Butterflyshy)
I got a B in my as internal exam and really want to get an A*. I have struggled a lot with the calculations and application questions.I am doing the new spec and wanted to get some advice as I am willing to put the work in.
I got an A in OCR bio so hopefully, my advice with be of some use. Basically, what I did was learn all the content without the help of school by January by making notes on everything in the CGP books. However, if you do this your mock grades might drops, as did mine, as your most focused on covering the content. After that, I went through all my notes and made flash cards in ANKI, and reviewed these until the exams started. In the end, I think I had thousands of cards just for bio. After the cards were made, I did as many past papers as possible and went over the questions I didn't get the answers with my teacher.
Butterflyshy
Rep:
?
(Original post by HamedxAli)
I got an A in OCR bio so hopefully, my advice with be of some use. Basically, what I did was learn all the content without the help of school by January by making notes on everything in the CGP books. However, if you do this your mock grades might drops, as did mine, as your most focused on covering the content. After that, I went through all my notes and made flash cards in ANKI, and reviewed these until the exams started. In the end, I think I had thousands of cards just for bio. After the cards were made, I did as many past papers as possible and went over the questions I didn't get the answers with my teacher.
Thanks for the great advice, you got an amazing grade. How did you prepare for the practical questions?
HamedxAli
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the great advice, you got an amazing grade. How did you prepare for the practical questions?
Thank you. I don't remember doing anything specific for the practical questions, but it would be a good idea to practice as many as you can as they came up a lot in my exams. I remember there was this exam board that had good practical questions, I think it was the Cambridge papers, check them out
Gambit150
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got an A in ocr bio (idk how it was ridiculously hard) my advice is that you look at all the pags properly and practice questions on how to improve experiments.

Learn the content but dont sacrifice practical skills over content.
Dont stress and you will be fine
Butterflyshy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gambit150)
I got an A in ocr bio (idk how it was ridiculously hard) my advice is that you look at all the pags properly and practice questions on how to improve experiments.

Learn the content but dont sacrifice practical skills over content.
Dont stress and you will be fine
Thanks I will definitely look at the pags. Well done on getting an amazing grade.
Science1996
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Biology is more memory over understanding (especially at GCSE and A - Level), my advice is revise continuously and properly. Make sure you can remember the required course booklet(s) in a way that gets you marks (continuously working through past papers over and over and consulting mark schemes thoroughly). Best of luck to you, an A* isn't as unobtainable as people make them out to be. Just encase you question my advice.. I have an A* in GCSE Biology, A-Level Biology and a First in my Biology degree and the advice I give to everyone is revise lots and cement the info in your head! You'll get there, I believe in you!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Butterflyshy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Science1996)
Biology is more memory over understanding (especially at GCSE and A - Level), my advice is revise continuously and properly. Make sure you can remember the required course booklet(s) in a way that gets you marks (continuously working through past papers over and over and consulting mark schemes thoroughly). Best of luck to you, an A* isn't as unobtainable as people make them out to be. Just encase you question my advice.. I have an A* in GCSE Biology, A-Level Biology and a First in my Biology degree and the advice I give to everyone is revise lots and cement the info in your head! You'll get there, I believe in you!!
Thanks so much for believing in me, I will put as much effort as I can into achieving the best grade I can.
Science1996
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks so much for believing in me, I will put as much effort as I can into achieving the best grade I can.
And never hesitate to seek help if you need! Happy studying! 🤗😊
JStebz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I managed to get an A* for OCR Bio A2 this year for the new spec. I got 192/270 (176 or something is the A* borderline). As for advice,

1. A level Biology is VERY memory orientated, so make sure you keep checking through your textbook / notes that you UNDERSTAND near enough all of the content (it isn't as hard as you think). The reason why I capitalised 'understand' is because it makes it so much easier to understand the biology in order to remember things.

2. When faced with an exam question, if it isn't pure data analysis, then it will ALWAYS reference at least one part of the syllabus that you would have learned. If you find in a paper that a question is particularly tricky / vague, think of any area of your knowledge that links to the question and reference that in your answer.

3. With calculation questions, it just comes with practice. Ask your teacher for some improvised calculation questions that are in a similar style to what you might find in an exam. Do every calculation question that you can do in the practice / sample / past papers, understand where you went wrong if you get questions wrong, and fix the misunderstanding.

4. Do all of the past / practice / specimen papers that you can for the new syllabus, and do your best to understand the 'vibe' of the mark scheme to the questions; i.e what examiners look for in answers to score marks.

Good luck! Hope this helps.
Butterflyshy
Rep:
?
(Original post by JStebz)
Hi, I managed to get an A* for OCR Bio A2 this year for the new spec. I got 192/270 (176 or something is the A* borderline). As for advice,

1. A level Biology is VERY memory orientated, so make sure you keep checking through your textbook / notes that you UNDERSTAND near enough all of the content (it isn't as hard as you think). The reason why I capitalised 'understand' is because it makes it so much easier to understand the biology in order to remember things.

2. When faced with an exam question, if it isn't pure data analysis, then it will ALWAYS reference at least one part of the syllabus that you would have learned. If you find in a paper that a question is particularly tricky / vague, think of any area of your knowledge that links to the question and reference that in your answer.

3. With calculation questions, it just comes with practice. Ask your teacher for some improvised calculation questions that are in a similar style to what you might find in an exam. Do every calculation question that you can do in the practice / sample / past papers, understand where you went wrong if you get questions wrong, and fix the misunderstanding.

4. Do all of the past / practice / specimen papers that you can, and do your best to understand the 'vibe' of the mark scheme to the questions; i.e what examiners look for in answers to score marks.

Good luck! Hope this helps.
Thank you a lot for your detailed advice. I will ask my teacher for calculation questions and I will try to do all of the available papers. Also well done for getting an amazing grade.
Gambit150
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
memorising content wont get you the grade if you cant apply it to the scenarios they give.
thats the difference between a c and an a
Marva_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did you use the CGP revision guide or textbook
HamedxAli
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Marva_)
Textbook, never used the revision guide
Shockez
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hey is it possible for you to share the ANKI cards please?
Last edited by Shockez; 2 months ago
HamedxAli
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Shockez)
hey is it possible for you to share the ANKI cards please?
Sure send me your email
hanaahxox
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Marva_)
Do you still have your anki notes? Would oove some help xx😓😓😓
Last edited by hanaahxox; 2 months ago
deborah_31
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Could you please send me the ANKI notes if you still have them😩?
deborah_31
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Sure send me your email
could i also have these ANKI cards too please?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.5%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.37%