Is running the most dangerous sport?

Watch
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How many times do we hear of people dying of heart attacks running marathons or on training runs? A lot of these people who die are often well trained athletes who don't smoke, or drink much and eat healthy. So many healthy young people die of heart attacks ironically exercising to prevent heart disease....it's crazy.

I think running has a far higher death toll than sports like rugby or boxing. Yet too many people wrongly thunk those sports should be banned despite them actually being safer. Serious injuries are also more likely in running especially during training, getting run over by cars, falls resulting in broken arms or legs especially more so on off road running and cross country.
M4cc4n4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, But your arm could be snapped by a twin by a Hurl, Hurling is a much more dangerous Sport
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Deaths while running are rare.

3.7 million marathon entrants resulted in 28 deaths.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22562789

If you are looking for dangerous sports, try mountaineering above the snow line or rock climbing. Mount Blanc typically claims more than 100 lives a year.
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
One of the most dangerous non-extreme sports is cricket.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SGHD26716)
One of the most dangerous non-extreme sports is cricket.
True. Fatalities due to boredom are quite common.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
Are you seriously suggesting a game where you can be 4 days into a match and not know who's going to win is anything but edge of the seat material?
AlwaysBroke.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Boxing? UFC? Other MMA's and contact-sports? Rugby? How the heck can running be more dangerous then these xD
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by mc_miah)
Boxing? UFC? Other MMA's and contact-sports? Rugby? How the heck can running be more dangerous then these xD
I've not heard of as many deaths in contact sports as the in running. I know there was the boxer Mike Towell who died last year and a young female rugby player who died but I'm sure there are several more runners who die competing in long distance running events. I guess long distance running puts exceptional strain on the heart and even fit healthy people can suffer a heart attack if the heart randomly goes out of rythum.
S.G.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
I was expecting a response like "cricket's an extreme sport. Extremely boring."

Under appreciated sport
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's not dangerous. And how many people do we hear of dying from motor sports / serious injuries due to motor sports?

Meanwhile, millions of us run every day and don't end up with serious injuries. I've only ever ended up with one serious injury in the 6 years I've run.
Tomm98
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I weigh 16 and a half stone, with a BMI of 34.5. Running 10m is a struggle for me and leaves me breathless. I have joined Weight Watchers so that I do not snack as much at Uni next year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed