mampfen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey you guys, I've got a question about what type of laptop I should get for architecture. I'm starting in September at CSM and I'm still stuck on deciding between the Surface Pro 4 and Macbook Pro 2017. I'm learning more towards the Mac because of the design and the fact that a lot of the Adobe softwares don't lag too terribly but at the same time I feel like I should get the Surface Pro because I've had more experience with Windows and some design softwares are only available on Windows and not on the OS system...Not to mention Windows is a lot cheaper than the Macbook do there's that to consider lol.

I've been reading on online forums where people discourage first year architecture students from getting a Mac book because of the costly updates and softwares you'd have to pay in order for it to basically work like a Windows laptop but as a Apple product.

Can you guys just list some pros and cons of each type? Or tell me what your experiences are with owning a Mac book or a Surface Pro. Thank you so much!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mampfen)
Hey you guys, I've got a question about what type of laptop I should get for architecture. I'm starting in September at CSM and I'm still stuck on deciding between the Surface Pro 4 and Macbook Pro 2017. I'm learning more towards the Mac because of the design and the fact that a lot of the Adobe softwares don't lag too terribly but at the same time I feel like I should get the Surface Pro because I've had more experience with Windows and some design softwares are only available on Windows and not on the OS system...Not to mention Windows is a lot cheaper than the Macbook do there's that to consider lol.

I've been reading on online forums where people discourage first year architecture students from getting a Mac book because of the costly updates and softwares you'd have to pay in order for it to basically work like a Windows laptop but as a Apple product.

Can you guys just list some pros and cons of each type? Or tell me what your experiences are with owning a Mac book or a Surface Pro. Thank you so much!
I'd recommend you wait and ask after you start - universities often have discounts available for some software and will recommend specific software that you may need for the course. If you haven't had that information from CSM yet then either ask or wait til you start and then ask.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (353)
46.45%
No (81)
10.66%
I'm not old enough (326)
42.89%

Watched Threads